Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sarge wrote:Bayou Billy

You beat The Adventures of Bayou Billy?! For your sake, I hope that you employed save states.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I like Code Name Viper quite a lot. I'm a sucker for hiding behind doors I guess. It obviously owes a lot to Rolling Thunder, but I think Viper has better level design.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:

You beat The Adventures of Bayou Billy?! For your sake, I hope that you employed save states.

Oh I love that sweet, sweet end game funk. 8)

I beat Bayou Billy without save states a number of times in my youth, though I must admit that I held my Zapper inches away from the screen. :lol:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:I'm on a heavy NES kick. I'm mining the catalog for games that I've never really finished or just kinda passed over...

Don't wanna derail the thread here, so just some quick recommendations that you might not have tried yet:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

J T wrote:Drakengard 3 sounds terrible, based on your description of the final moments.

It's just an odd game I definitely enjoyed most of the experiences but there were a lot of missteps that would keep me from recommending this game to anyone. If you enjoyed Drakengard 1 this is supposed to be pretty close to it as well and it's a prequel to Drakengard and has some connections to Nier.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:

I admit, I did. The kicker, though? With a slightly better run, I have no doubt I could do it legit. It's all about getting through the driving stages intact, the rest is actually pretty easy once you get rolling. And it's the driving stages I burned up most of my continues on, when I should have just started again. That left me wanting in the final stages, but I probably only needed an extra life or two to make it through that unscathed.

Heck, now I might do like I did with Battletoads and prove to myself that I really can pull it off. ;)

Exhuminator, there's a mix of good and absolutely awful there, for sure. I've beaten Crystal Palace with save states back in the day, it's actually pretty decent. Totally Rad is pretty good, too, and I've beaten it legit.

Super Pitfall and Athena are pretty terrible, as is Master Hu. I had a cousin of mine who owned that last one, actually.

I'd love to find a copy of Sword Master, I really like that game. I've got Krion Conquest, and it's... well, it's not bad, but it pales compared to Mega Man. But it is a game I want to beat!

I've played a smidge of Amagon. I'd like to finish it, too. Definitely pretty tough. I haven't touched Swamp Thing, will give it a try, and I've got Black Manta, but I need to figure out exactly how to properly play it, because I got stomped the last time I booted it up.
Last edited by Sarge on Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sarge wrote:Heck, now I might do like I did with Battletoads and prove to myself that I really can pull it off. ;)

Good luck! I made it through Battletoads, but I have never made it through Bayou Billy. (Even Captain N had trouble with that game!)
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

The driving stages can throw you off, but it's the final level and boss that is the real challenge. You have to get there with enough in tact to survive. I used to get to the last level a lot, but had a really hard time completing the final level unless everything went just perfect.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

J T wrote:The driving stages can throw you off, but it's the final level and boss that is the real challenge. You have to get there with enough in tact to survive. I used to get to the last level a lot, but had a really hard time completing the final level unless everything went just perfect.

Final level can be tough, but it's doable. The final bosses are complete pushovers as long as you make sure to not lose the whip and bulletproof vest, and exploit the patterns of the big Arnold dudes. Thankfully there's no timer, so it's just a matter of patience.

There is one point in level 8 where some enemies really swarm you. I think they had guns, and they suck.

The timer is my enemy in the second driving stage. I just had a good run going, just didn't go fast enough. :( Sometimes there will be a gas can that spawns, but I have no idea what determines that, 'cause it didn't show up in my run.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Nice work Sarge. I'll be hitting up the NES myself once Grandia is done.