Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Sarge »

Metal Slug X is down. Steam version is... eh. I caught the sound doing funky stuff at times. Guess DotEmu's emulation isn't up to snuff here. I mean, maybe it's my laptop I'm using... but it was definitely desyncing and warbling quite a bit.

Anyway, great game, of course.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/10: Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (Steam)
1/10: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Bat & Switch (3DS DL)
1/11: Time Fcuk (Steam)
1/11: Coil (Steam)
1/17: Portal 2 (Steam)
1/31: Tales of Xillia (PS3) (re-beat 3/31)
2/12: Tokyo Jungle (PSN)
2/22: LoZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (3DS DL)
4/25: Stanley Parable (Steam)
4/28: BattleBlock Theatre (Steam)
5/3: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii)
5/9: Excite Truck (Wii)
5/14: Elebits (Wii)
5/26: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
6/9: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSN)
6/11: Tappingo (3DS DL)
6/15: Galaga Legions DX (PSN)
6/22: Eversion (Steam)
6/25: Hatoful Boyfriend (GOG)
6/30: Silent Hill (PS1)
7/1: SteamWorld Dig (Steam)
7/12: Cook, Serve, Delicious! (Steam)
7/13: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.1 Onikakushi (Steam)
7/14: Retro/Grade (Steam)
8/12: Onechanbara Z2: Chaos (PS4)
8/15: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Steam)
8/25: Ziggurat (Steam)
9/11: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
9/25: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Steam)
9/27: Freedom Planet (GOG)
9/27: Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Rise of the Owlverlord (GOG)
10/15: Mad Maestro! (PS2)
10/16: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
11/5: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f 2nd (PS3)
11/14: eden*: They were only two, on the planet (Steam)
11/16: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU DL)
11/18: Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God (Vita)
11/28: Undertale (Steam)
11/28: Fantasy Life (3DS)
12/8: Trauma Team (Wii)
12/14: Kirby’s Epic Yarn (Wii)

Total: 41 games

I've never played a Kirby game before, so I'm not sure why I went with one of the games that is different from the main ones but... that was probably a bit of a mistake.

This game is so cute with the enemies being made of yarn and fabric, and the little Waddledees hanging around and doing silly things but that's really all this game had going for it imo.

The levels are very easy and the design of them tends to be a bit dull, which I guess would be fine since I can see they were aiming for kids but then they make it so you can't die too! Instead they want you to collect gems and if you get hit or fall in a pit, you lose a bunch of these gems. At first I really liked collecting these, but after a while I just kept getting frustrated if I made a small mistake since I would lose so many of them that it kind of made collecting them a bit pointless for me. I would MUCH rather have lives or a hit counter or something. At least they don't seem to do anything other than give you a better rank (and unlock a stage when collecting them in boss battles) but it still really annoyed me.

Kirby can also transform into other forms at certain points in some stages which changes the gameplay a little bit (like a tank, spaceship, or surfer penguin) but most of these I found boring and pointless. The surfer penguin was kind of fun, but a lot of the others involve just mashing the button a lot. Maybe I would of cared more in these parts if there were lives but I'm not sure.

The last thing I really didn't like about this is the music. It's incredibly bland. It's really hard to explain but a lot of it sounded like it was made for kids I suppose? Really boring tunes, a lot of very simple piano and very forgettable. It's not that I have anything against piano tunes (I play the piano myself so that would be weird if I hated piano music lol) but if you pair very simple piano tunes with a few random sounds then it sounds so bad. They did have two tunes from the main Kirby games (the one from the first level of Kirby and King Dedede's tune), but even those they managed to turn those into lame sounding music.

So yeah I really didn't like Kirby's Lame Yarn. It seems that quite a few other people do like it but... I just don't really see this being enjoyable for me at all.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Go play Kirby's Adventure on the NES. Easily one of the best NES games out there.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Xeogred wrote:Go play Kirby's Adventure on the NES. Easily one of the best NES games out there.

+1, had a great time with this earlier this year
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

The OG Kirby's Adventure is required gaming.

I typed that with my serious face.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Compare

laurenhiya21 wrote:12/14: Kirby’s Epic Yarn (Wii)

The last thing I really didn't like about this is the music. It's incredibly bland. It's really hard to explain but a lot of it sounded like it was made for kids I suppose? Really boring tunes, a lot of very simple piano and very forgettable. It's not that I have anything against piano tunes (I play the piano myself so that would be weird if I hated piano music lol) but if you pair very simple piano tunes with a few random sounds then it sounds so bad. They did have two tunes from the main Kirby games (the one from the first level of Kirby and King Dedede's tune), but even those they managed to turn those into lame sounding music.

with

dsheinem wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Kirby's Epic Yarn is just about the most charming and adorable game I've ever played...

I agree. Kirby's Epic Yarn was such a charming game, and I loved the art direction and - especially - the soundtrack.

Dear God yes the soundtrack. It instantly became one of the all time favorte soundtracks - such wondeful jazz pieces - and often solo jazz piano!

That's OK, though, because we don't all have to like the same things. :lol:
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

But dsh hates fun so his opinion doens't count :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Epic Yarn is really easy unless you're going for that top rank. I might have 100%-ed it...

I will ditto the suggestion to play Kirby's Adventure on NES. Holy cow, that is a fantastic game. If the graphics are a touch too lo-fi for you, then try out Kirby Super Star instead. Both are great times, but I'm astoundingly partial to the former.

Actually, I take that back. The NES Kirby is a technical marvel. You'll wonder how they managed to make a game that colorful on the NES. Play it for that reason alone.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

NES Kirby is all kinds of good times. Plus, it's got the UFO power. How can you go wrong with that?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

TSTR wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Go play Kirby's Adventure on the NES. Easily one of the best NES games out there.

+1, had a great time with this earlier this year

Kirby's Adventure was my game of the year in 2013. It was the best game I played in that year.

It is an utterly fantastic game and I loved every second of it!