72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC

One sentence description: Freelancer with capital ships.

Rebel Galaxy has a similar setup to Freelancer; you can engage in trading, do missions, do random bounty hunting, find caches of equipment at a smuggler's drop, mine, or even engage in piracy. Unlike Freelancer you are always free to ignore the story and go to any sector you want, though you'll want to progress a bit before you go to the later ones or you'll get blown out of the sky.

What sets Rebel Galaxy apart is you start off in a Corvette and the ship sizes only get bigger from there. As a result they put the game on a 2D plane and gave you a massive broadside to go with your turrets. This gives combat more of a naval feel and it does work pretty well. There is still an emphasis on maneuvering because your shields and armor are divided into quadrants (so you want to be able to present healthy areas to enemies). You essentially only lose out on being able to maneuver on the long axis out of line with your enemy's broadside, and honestly you would still be able to roll quickly enough that the major increase in control complexity would outweigh the minor increase in tactical depth.

The game has factions, but it's fairly underdeveloped. There are five pirate factions (though one is starter-area only and only one has stations), a militia faction opposed to the pirates, and a civilian faction. The key here is when you become friendly with a pirate the militia is going to be pissed at you but you can still be friendly with the civilians. There are a large number of pirate stations as well as neutral stations, so piracy is actually viable. But it does require a fair amount of work because you start off opposed to the pirates. There is also a merchant's guild and a mercenary guild. Their main function is they offer some extra ships and equipment you can't get unless you climb the guild ranks. However, unless you do a quick blitz of guild missions you'll find that you have better ships than what you just unlocked (the equipment is still nice).

The biggest miss is that the trade system is a bit underdeveloped. You have no ability to determine how much something sells at a nearby station, so buying low to sell high is very hit and miss. You're better off waiting for events which will artificially increase/decrease the price of certain goods. There is a ticker which indicates where a commodity is commonly imported/exported from, but it doesn't really help enough; you still aren't guaranteed a profit. And the margins aren't high enough to make it worth the time investment; you're better off doing a mission. A lot of enemies drop commodities when killed, though, so you can do a lot of selling there and it still makes the increased cargo upgrades worthwhile (no leaving loot behind). Similarly, the mining takes too much time compared to the return.

This game is 100% worth the $20.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Erik_Twice »

I feel terrible putting my tiny list when the average guy has beaten twelve times the number of games I have, but here it is:

1) Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (SNES, 1996)
2) Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (GBA, 2003)
3) F-Zero (SNES, 1990)
4) Magical Drop II (Arcade, 1996)
5) Theme Hospital (PC, 1997)
6) Street of Rage 2 (Mega Drive, 1992)

I think Streets of Rage 2 has been the first beat'em up I've played in a serious manner. I have played lots of games in the genre before but never really got involved enough to know what I was doing. And now that I have, I think it's a genre I enjoy a lot, I think I should go for another title.

As for Streets of Rage 2 itself, it's not very difficult. You can perform infinite damage on practically all grunts and minibosses just by punching them twice and the foward kick is a powerful, safe move that enemies walk into. Lives are plentiful too which means you can spam special moves on the difficult bosses. It's how I beat Shivah, actually. Why bother playing fair against a guy with abusive priority when you can just fireball him to death and end up losing less life?

Still, it's a very fun game. I've been toying with Final Fight, which is far more challenging though also kind of rough and cheap. Chances are I'll move to another beat'em up by Capcom and try to beat that instead.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
80. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game - NES

Another childhood favorite. TMNT 2 is a fantastic beat 'em up and a much more satisfying game for fans of the Turtles franchise. The best thing about it is the game feels fair; while it might have been an arcade game designed to make money it definitely feels like the designers wanted to make it beatable if you were careful and learned enemy patterns and your own moveset. In that respect it's like a good shmup.

I ended up taking four deaths while gaining three extra lives. The first death was midway through the ninja stage, since that stage has some of the hardest enemies to not take damage on (damn you tigers). The second death was against the Shogun boss because I got knocked into the boss pizza on the final wave before the boss. I had planned on saving it for midway through; that was a death that shouldn't have happened. Third death was against Krang because his moveset is just too good. I probably would have died a second time against him but he got really generous with his move selection and I got a lot of unanswered hits on him. Final death was against Shredder because I just don't have enough practice on him. To be fair it was when I was at 1/3 life after Krang and it was from sword hits; I never got hit by his mutation beam.

I remember as a kid a friend showed me the level select and 9 lives code and we beat Shredder by warping there, but it also wasted most of our lives. This was far more satisfying. Although it's amusing that once again the boss before Shredder is the hardest while Shredder is fairly easy. This one wasn't as trivial as the first TMNT game, but still, not nearly the threat Krang was.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 25
1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
25. Shining Force II (GEN)
26. Rayman Legends (WIIU)
27. Gorf (ARCADE)
28. Fairune (3DS)
29. Mighty Gunvolt (3DS)
30. Ikachan (3DS)
31. Block Boy! (3DS)
32. Legend of the Dark Witch (3DS)
33. R-Type Delta (PS1)
34. Half-Life (PS2)
35. Soul of Darkness (3DS)
36. Cubit the Hardcore Platforming Robot (3DS)
37. Alien on the Run (3DS)
38. Bit.Trip Presents...Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (WIIU)
39. Hazumi (3DS)
40. Aaru's Awakening (PS3)
41. Teslagrad (PS3)
42. Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess (PS3)
43. Year Walk (WIIU)
44. Xeodrifter (3DS)
45. Ittle Dew (WIIU)
46. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
47. Costume Quest (PS3)
48. Mutant Mudds Deluxe (3DS)
49. Costume Quest: Grubbins on Ice (PS3)
50. Deathsmiles (360)

Costume Quest: Grubbins on Ice (PS3) is the DLC for Costume Quest. It takes about two hours to play through, and it is basically more of the same. Your costumes, experience, and items from Costume Quest carry over to the expansion, and the enemies in the expansion are more difficult. (They are not too difficult, however. There is a "story" battle at the very beginning of the expansion that you are not "supposed" to win...but that I nonetheless won by the skin of my teeth.) My children loved it, however, and the game remained as charming as ever.

I decided to play around with Deathsmiles today, and I ended up rolling the credits on it. The game really is fantastic, and I will definitely be spending some more time with it. I continued five times on my first playthrough, and I readily admit that I didn't "really" beat the game. (Four of my five continues were on the last stage, however, and if I practice that one a bit I could probably 1CC it.) I also need to learn some more about the scoring mechanics to really boost my high score. (My high score was just a little south of 2 million, which does not appear to be that good...) I can see why everyone loves the game so much, however, and I can't wait to go back to it. (I confirmed that it is family-friendly-enough and that I can play it with my children in the room. I suspect they will love it, and I suspect I will end up getting some practice with it.)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Deathsmiles <3
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:Deathsmiles <3

:lol:

Agreed. I just played through it, and I am already itching to play it again.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've obviously talked about it wayyyy too much on this forum already. So just to reiterate the two main points: it's my favorite shmup of all time, and the 1CC was one of my proudest gaming moments ever.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:I've obviously talked about it wayyyy too much on this forum already. So just to reiterate the two main points: it's my favorite shmup of all time, and the 1CC was one of my proudest gaming moments ever.

I am confused about the different modes. On which "mode" did you get your 1CC?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Arcade.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I have 1cc'ed arcade and xbox 360 mode.

I always play as Windia.

Deathsmiles rulez.