Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Flake wrote:1/20: Super Mario Kart 9 (WiiU)

There's a part 9?!

Not only is there a 9th one, but it is pretty super apparently.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Mario Kart 9 is what you get when you get diamond status on Club Nintendo. It takes awhile to get there though...you guys probably don't have enough time.

1/3: Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Luigi Run) (3DS VC/NES)
1/4: Super Mario Bros. (Wii / All-Stars)
1/15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
1/20: Super Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
1/20: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (WiiU)

Plopped this in after finishing Mario Kart 8 (thanks guys) this morning and I guess I was much closer to beating it than I realized when I put it down for awhile at the end of last year.If you don't know the development history of Captain Toad, it's worth Googling. This game is fantastic but shockingly, the decision makers at Nintendo were very close to never producing it.

If you haven't played Captain Toad, it's worth looking into. The game has a very unique charm to it and that combined with its pacing, puzzles, and visual quality make for a very Nintendo experience that is also (somehow) free of the all-too derivative nature of so many of their titles. As an added bonus, the game does more than use the Mario 3D World engine - once you beat the game there is a brilliant cutscene that ties the game's plot directly with Mario 3D World. It's simple but very satisfying.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Thinking about trying to tackle a few Final Fantasy games once I finish up Uncharted 3 starting in numerical order from 1 and seeing how far I can get. To start I have both the PSP Anniversary editions of 1&2 as well as the PS1 Origins collection. I'm guessing the PSP versions are better, but I wanted to see what your thoughts were on these versions.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The PSP versions are strictly better; they have some optional content and the load times are better. Plus I think they redrew the sprites again in a higher resolution.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)

I had not played a Ratchet & Clank game until Tools of Destruction, and I happy to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. The game looks great; the characters are funny and engaging; the dialogue is well-written; and it controls wonderfully. The camera gave me a bit of trouble, but the game is never difficult. (The difficulty spikes at the end, but it always remains manageable.) There are also lots of collectables that add a tremendous amount of replay value. I was happy to play this game with my children - they loved it even more that Jak & Daxter - and switching between the numerous weapons in the game made me think that Rachet & Clank is what 3D Mega Man games should have been. (How I would love to see a 3D Mega Man game created with the Ratchet & Clank engine...)
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Oh man, that sounds amazing.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

prfsnl_gmr I played it through for the first time a couple months ago and utterly loved it. I now the next two games in the series. Really surprised me how much I enjoyed it.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
J T wrote:
It would take you...
7701 continuous hours
320 days,21 hours,34 minutes
of gameplay to complete your Steam library

IN THIS TIME YOU COULD...

Swim across the English Channel 354 times

Never gonna happen.

You know you want to do a one year bender. Sleep is for the week! Bed Sores are for the strong!

Across the internet I'm seeing a lot of people posting their hour counts from this thing and ... I haven't seen anyone's count be higher than mine, and it's not by a little either. It's slightly embarrassing.

Maybe it just shows how differently I think about platforms or something.
Though I don't think I've seen the Steam-hardcores post their numbers. Some of those people own 1000+ games on steam.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Cronozilla wrote:Across the internet I'm seeing a lot of people posting their hour counts from this thing and ... I haven't seen anyone's count be higher than mine, and it's not by a little either. It's slightly embarrassing.

Some scary ones here, including a 5 figure one.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Cronozilla wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:
J T wrote:
It would take you...
7701 continuous hours
320 days,21 hours,34 minutes
of gameplay to complete your Steam library

IN THIS TIME YOU COULD...

Swim across the English Channel 354 times
Never gonna happen.
You know you want to do a one year bender. Sleep is for the week! Bed Sores are for the strong!
Across the internet I'm seeing a lot of people posting their hour counts from this thing and ... I haven't seen anyone's count be higher than mine, and it's not by a little either. It's slightly embarrassing.

Maybe it just shows how differently I think about platforms or something.
Though I don't think I've seen the Steam-hardcores post their numbers. Some of those people own 1000+ games on steam.
You know I've been thinking about this too, and really it seems to me that it's a bit of a flawed metric. Aside from questioning whatever algorithm the site uses to calculate the number of hours required for library completion (the site is conveniently blocked at my current location), it seems to calculate the total number of hours applicable to every game in your Steam library. AFAIK, it doesn't take into account which games you may have already played and beaten. So the playtime you have remaining in your Steam library is potentially much different from the number being generated on the site.

... Or at least that's what I tell myself to make it easier to sleep at night ...