Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Markies
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Markies »

alienjesus wrote:
Markies wrote:I completed Mega Bomberman on the Sega Genesis this evening!

Man, that game is annoying, frustrating and addicting all at the same time. There are times when I will die and feel like an idiot. Then I will beat the level and feel like the genius. The password feature was greatly used as I had to use many of times as some of the levels were frustrating and the bosses could be extremely mean. The final boss in particular had five miniature stages and then three forms which you have to do with five lives. The music was different and some of it was quite nice. The level design was very unique and innovative. The game can be really good, but really annoying the next. However, the multi-player is superb and the best part of the game!

I remember struggling with this game a lot as a kid, even though it was one of my favourites.

Then I found out the best tactic is to remember which levels give you what items and the game becomes easy. Get the extra hit heart, the remote control bomb, and a louie in the fire world, grab the walk through bombs and the line bomb item from the water world and it becomes a breeze and very hard to die. If you do screw up you'll probably lose your extra hit heart or louie instead, and they're quick to replace.

The line bomb is key. You can destroy enemies without getting near them. The walk through bombs item gets you out of any stupid mistakes, and the remote stops them going off before you get away.

This sounds like a Zombies Ate My Neighbors situation. There is a password in the game, but relying on it will make the game harder.

I abused the password system as I just keep replaying the same level over and over again. I remember getting stuck on the Giant Lobster which is the final boss of the water level cause I had no upgrades whatsoever.

Without all of the super powerups, the game is quite frustrating. The final boss in particular caused some pain. I finally did beat all of his forms, but only after getting to him on my final life and then using Youtube for the best strategies.

But, it is done, so I can rest happy. I do wish I had learned of all the secrets before I beat it though.... :cry:
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

1. Fatal Fury (GEN)
2. DuckTales Remastered (WiiU)
3. Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
4. Journey (PS3)
5. The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
6. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
7. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
8. King Oddball Ends the World (Android)
9. Street Fight II The World Warrior (SNES)
10. Secret of Mana (SNES)
11. McDonald's Treasureland Adventure (GEN)

12. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (WiiU)

Here's a confession - I've never played a Donkey Kong Country game for more than a few minutes before this one. Great reviews and my love of the WiiU drove me to buy this one. Today I beat 6-BOSS and rolled the credits. Only a 66% completion right now, but the game is still beat in my opinion.

I had some real pet peeves with this game that I wanted to address. The loading screen that has clouds on it makes me nauseous. Also, it mildly annoys me to have to press A about 8 times between the title screen and actually playing.

Pet peeves out of the way, this is a pretty great game. It is tough, I probably went through a couple hundred lives in it. Luckily the game is very generous with extra lives. That said, it isn't unfair and I consistently found myself making slow progress towards the next checkpoint, figuring things out as I went. It was frustrating at times, but always hit a sweet spot where the frustration didn't outweigh the fun I was having. My daughter actually enjoyed watching me fail over and over at certain points, but also enjoyed when I was successful just as much.

It looks great and controls are solid (they have to be or this would be a very frustrating game). Music was good, though none of the tunes stuck in my head after playing. This game fits right in with Rayman Legends and New Super Mario Bros WiiU as 2d platformers I've loved on this console.

I have the Wii game as well, sitting untouched on my shelf so far. This may become a series that I play backwards. First I'll poke around at some of the content I missed on this one.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/10: Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (Steam)
1/10: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Bat & Switch (3DS DL)
1/11: Time Fcuk (Steam)
1/11: Coil (Steam)
1/17: Portal 2 (Steam)
1/31: Tales of Xillia (PS3) (re-beat 3/31)
2/12: Tokyo Jungle (PSN)
2/22: LoZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (3DS DL)
4/25: Stanley Parable (Steam)
4/28: BattleBlock Theatre (Steam)
5/3: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii)
5/9: Excite Truck (Wii)
5/14: Elebits (Wii)
5/26: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
6/9: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSN)
6/11: Tappingo (3DS DL)
6/15: Galaga Legions DX (PSN)
6/22: Eversion (Steam)
6/25: Hatoful Boyfriend (GOG)
6/30: Silent Hill (PS1)

Total: 20 games

Eversion
A simple, very short platformer with a bit of a twist I guess? I'm not sure how to explain it without giving the secret away, but I really liked it. The secret is nothing huge, but I thought it was better that I didn't quite know what it was before playing. I will say that it is VERY short though, as it only took me 30 minutes to beat it the first time through. I don't mind much as I will play it again to get the other endings, but I know that sort of thing bugs some people.

Hatoful Boyfriend
A surprisingly very enjoyable visual novel with birds. Honestly I thought I would get just a laugh or two, but I really enjoyed it the whole way through. The first part of it is a dating sim, and here I thought the dialogue was really well written, with a lot of funny lines. Nearly everybirdie had quite a bit of depth to them as well, which was really nice.

The second part (which you unlock after doing certain birdies routes), is more of a kinetic mystery visual novel I suppose? You play as one of the birdies (instead of yourself, like in the dating sim part) and all the birdies are trying to figure out what's going on at the school. I enjoyed this part even more than the first, as a lot of the birdies get a lot more background explanation, and I was kept guessing on what would happen a lot of the time. It's a lot darker than the first part, but I really enjoyed reading every bit of it. I really recommend getting to this part if you enjoy reading a good VN (even if you use a guide) as it really is very good.

Silent Hill
The second game I beat for the Summer Game Challenge and well... I didn't enjoy it so much. I kind of liked the concept, but I'm incredibly bad at figuring out weird puzzles. Some of them weren't so bad and I just had to think about them for a bit, but others just made no sense to me even with a guide. Another thing was that quite a few times I would have no idea where to go. Once it was just because I couldn't read the place on the map, but other times I wouldn't be given even a little hint and I would just wander around aimlessly until I gave up and got a guide.

I couldn't really make sense of the story either so unfortunately I left it not really liking it. I was really surprised on how good the CG cutscenes looked though... Honestly didn't think the PS1 could do that so well (although I guess I'm comparing to Tekken 2 lol).
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

laurenhiya21 wrote:Hatoful Boyfriend

You are a classy lady and have great taste in gaming.

Just in case you did not know, this game got a PC sequel in English. You can get it here:

http://www.dlsite.com/eng/work/=/produc ... 07643.html

However, that PC sequel is getting remastered, and is being released in its remastered form on a variety of platforms. So if you'd rather have the more polished version to come:

http://www.devolverdigital.com/blog/vie ... -this-year

Also, Laurenhiya21, I think you might enjoy this game if you haven't played it yet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Fuse:_At_Your_Side
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

^Oh! I did not know about the sequel! I honestly thought they wouldn't make one :lol: I'll probably wait for the remaster though since fall really isn't too far away haha.

And I'll check out Sweet Fuse too. Sounds interesting...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

laurenhiya21 wrote:And I'll check out Sweet Fuse too. Sounds interesting...

It's a PSP game, but can play it on Vita if you want:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-nz/ ... NHANDAN001

Based on the things I've seen you play and say, I think it would be a fun time for ya.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

- Batman Arkham asylum(would've perferred to 100% it but getting the credits to roll is worth it, beat it in less than a day though joker's fight pissed me off...and before anyone says it I'll get back to snes and such when my extensions for my controllers arrive so next up is Arkham city ;) )
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
marurun

Post by marurun »

Markies wrote:I completed Mega Bomberman on the Sega Genesis this evening!

This game is actually a port of Bomberman '94 on the PC Engine. The Mega Drive does a decent job, but the original is just a tiny bit nicer due to the better colors on the PC Engine.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

We also played it at Together Retro, one of the few months I felt forever alone (playing the game here).
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I can't find my list from this year because the search is broken. Once I find it I'll put this in properly.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge WiiU

Not a great game. It's entertaining but it also has some baffling design choices. I can totally see why the original release of NG3 got such harsh reviews. The combat in this release is full Ninja Gaiden but a lot of what makes NG3 not particularly great is still there. It's repetitive, the story takes itself way too seriously, the enemy design sucks as does their behavior, and the game is far too difficult. I don't shy from difficult games but there are so many cheap deaths in this game and it makes it a chore to get through. It also seemed to try to mimic Bayonetta on the scale and crazy factor but it fails on both fronts for multiple reasons.

Razor's Edge certainly had its moments (there are a few rather cool boss fights) and for $7 it was worth it. Not a long game by any means. 6 to 7 hour campaign. It's a game that's 50% good and 50% shit though, but if you need to scratch your spectacle fighter itch and have exhausted the other options then this is an okay choice.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.