Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Xeogred »

Plus Luigi jumps twice as high as Mario, very doable. Although I think there's one jump in one of the castles that might be literally impossible to make with him, but once you lose enough lives and hit a continue I think you could select a character?
dust_hound
24-bit

Post by dust_hound »

Earlier today, i triumphed over motion sickness to reach the end of the campaign of Dead Space: Extraction for the Wii. I've always had mild motion sickness from playing in a first-person viewpoint, and in DS:E it's more pronounced since you aren't controlling character movement directly due to it being a rail shooter. That said, i didn't feel that it suffers from being this type of game- if anything, i'd say i enjoyed it more, as it told a story over the few hours it took to finish, and there was no backtracking or padding there. As i progressed through the campaign, i also took the time out to watch the digital comics that were unlocked after finishing various chapters, and it all pulled together to make what was, for me, a well-rounded experience. Plus, i thought that the graphics were great for the 'two Gamecubes duct-taped together' hardware.

I look forward to going through the campaign again on harder difficulties at my leisure, but for the moment i've shelved it and am now working through Resi 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Xeogred wrote:Plus Luigi jumps twice as high as Mario, very doable. Although I think there's one jump in one of the castles that might be literally impossible to make with him, but once you lose enough lives and hit a continue I think you could select a character?

This really works against Luigi in the castles. He's a star on the field but in the Castles, Mario reigns supreme because the level design shifts to tight corridor platforming with smaller jumps rewarded. There were a couple points where I really wanted to give up and it was always on a X-4 level.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I don't know how much the SNES version differs but I play as Luigi through the entire thing. No issues.

On a somewhat related note, I use the princess throughout the entirety of Super Mario Bros. 2 USA.

I've tried the original FDS Lost Levels a few times (via emulation). I did not get far. At all.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Princess is amazing in Super Mario 2 USA.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I don't think people realize how many shortcuts you can take with her. Some levels can be cut down more than 50%.
smoomeister

Post by smoomeister »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I don't know how much the SNES version differs but I play as Luigi through the entire thing. No issues.

On a somewhat related note, I use the princess throughout the entirety of Super Mario Bros. 2 USA.

I've tried the original FDS Lost Levels a few times (via emulation). I did not get far. At all.

I'm finding that Mario All-Stars (and all the other desirable classics) are pricey now that I'm building my SNES collection. I'm dying to get All-Stars, though! I remember Lost Levels being difficult as a kid and now am very eager to check it out as an "adult" :)
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

1) Gravity Rush (PS Vita)

First game of the year beat, though I did actually start this during 2014.

Gravity Rush is gonna be in a funny place for me. The world, story, and characters of that game are so unique and so fun that I'll remember them for a long time to come. If I was judging the game based off those merits alone it would be one of my all time favorite games. Unfortunately the camera messed up far too often, and got on my nerves after a while. And the controls of the game are not particularly good. They work fine for just flying around with your gravity powers and such, but they're very awkward in combat scenarios. In fact the combat is easily the weakest point of the game, as it relies mostly on a dive kick attack which is auto target only but the auto target is very unreliable.

I'm not gonna say the game is bad because of awkward controls, camera, or combat. The rest of the game was too damn good for me to say that. I won't even say it was average or anything. I think the game was damn good, and a very memorable experience that I'm glad I went through. But shit, I don't ever want to go through it again.

*EDIT* Also, maybe this year I'll actually keep up and post all the games I beat. I intended to last year but procrastination and an ill memory got the best of me. Maybe this year will be different.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

1. Resident Evil 4 (PS3) Digital

I never got around to playing this one. Skipped right over it and played 5 and 6 instead! I can see now why everyone calls this a defining game in the RE series. It felt like 5 more than 3. I do not see why people bash 5 but like 4.

The controls were not the greatest, aiming was so-so at most times. Story was the usual Resident Evil stuff. I am sure most of you have played through it so it is a waste of time to go into a deep review. I just felt it was nothing special after playing 5 and 6. to me 4,5 and 6 are basically the same game.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

1. Fatal Fury (GEN)

This was a $5 pick up several weeks back and after blowing through easy mode the day I bought it I've taken a couple of cracks at normal difficulty. Today I beat Geese pretty handily after burning up all my continues with some less than stellar play en-route to him.

I like this game, it is pretty simple, but it has a certain charm. Clearly doesn't measure up to Street Fighter 2, but it is absolutely playable even now and the characters are reasonably interesting. I used Terry. I may come back to try Joe some other time, but for now I have plenty of other Genesis games to move on to.