Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Exhuminator »

1. Devil's Attorney (Android | 2012 | strategy) (7/10)
2. Resident Evil 5 (360 | 2009 | action adventure) (8/10)
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (360 | 2010 | kart racer) (8/10)
4. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2 | 2005 | JRPG) (9/10)
5. Gears of War (360 | 2006 | cover shooter) (6/10)
6. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita | 2012 | action adventure) (7/10)
7. Orcs & Elves (DS | 2007 | dungeon crawler) (7/10)
8. From The Abyss (DS | 2008 | action-RPG) (5/10)
9. Army of Two (360 | 2008 | cover shooter) (7/10)
10. Psychic World (Master System | 1991 | platformer) (4/10)
11. Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii | 2010 | adventure / simulation) (9/10)
12. Journey to Silius (NES | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
13. Sword Master (NES | 1992 | platformer) (3/10)
14. Project: Snowblind (PC | 2005 | FPS) (7/10)
15. Yakyuuken Part II - Gal's Dungeon (Famicom | 1989 | maze / puzzle) (5/10)
16. Bishoujo Sexy Derby (Famicom | 1988 | horse racing) (2/10)
17. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC | 2006 | FPS) (5/10)
18. Seirei Gari (AKA Ghost Hunter) (NES | 1989 | puzzle / adventure) (4/10)
19. The Guardian Legend (NES | 1989 | action-RPG / shmup) (9/10)
20. Prey (PC | 2006 | FPS) (7/10)
21. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SFC | 1993 | action-RPG) (4/10)
22. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GameCube | 2001 | combat flight sim) (3/10)
23. Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand (SFC | 1995 | action-RPG) (7/10)
24. Bonk's Adventure (TurboGrafx-16 | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
25. Lost Kingdoms (GameCube | 2002 | CCG-action-RPG) (8/10)
26. Bonk's Revenge (TurboGrafx-16 | 1991 | platformer) (6/10)
27. Blazing Lazers (TurboGrafx-16 | 1989 | shmup) (7/10)
28. Heatseeker (PS2 | 2007 | arcade flight combat) (7/10)
29. Castlevania: The Adventure (Game Boy | 1989 | platformer) (3/10)
30. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy | 1991 | platformer) (7/10)
31. Castlevania Legends (Game Boy | 1998 | platformer) (5/10)
32. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
33. Bonk's Adventure (Game Boy | 1992 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Ares mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 9/10
35. Castlevania Special: I'm Kid Dracula (Famicom | 1990 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Dela mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 8/10
35. Soul Calibur V (360 | 2012 | fighter) 7/10
36. No More Heroes (Wii | 2008 | action adventure) 7/10
37. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
38. Bionic Commando (360 | 2009 | action adventure) 8/10
39. Vanquish (PS3 | 2010 | cover shooter) 9/10[/b]
40. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3 | 2007 | cover shooter) 7/10
41. King's Field II (PS1 | 1995 | dungeon crawler) 7/10
King's Field II (AKA King's Field in USA) is a dark and gloomy dungeon crawler from a bygone era. It improves on the first King's Field in some ways, such as better graphics and a huge foreboding world with no load times to speak of. (However, I think the music is a bit of a downgrade.) But, King's Field II is incredibly nonlinear in a way that is often soul crushing. You start this game off naked with a tiny dagger and everything in sight can kill you. You crawl forth into dank and dreary caves, enduring nightmare after nightmare, dying over and over. Vicious monsters, hidden traps, and secret doors will confound you. When you are alive you're usually hopelessly wandering around confused. The few people you meet don't care about you and offer little help. You will live and die by your own intelligence and skill alone.

That's a good thing. That's what makes this such a compelling experience.

Now I won't lie, this is a hardcore game for grizzled crazy gamers. But nearly every second of it feels like an honest adventure, and you're constantly finding something new. Slowly you will grow stronger and more wise in King Field II's world. And by the end of it, you will have magic armor, a divine sword, powerful spells, and go toe to toe with a giant black dragon. If that doesn't sound like fun, just move along. King's Field II would rather spit on your grave than simply entertain you.

I beat this game without a walkthrough. After I beat it, I looked at a walkthrough and saw all the great gear I missed. Oh well, that's King's Field baby.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ExedExes wrote:We also played it at Together Retro, one of the few months I felt forever alone (playing the game here).

You say that, but I joined in that month. It's actually the time I beat it XD
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

1.Alien Isolation - Xbox One
2.Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES *
3.Popful Mail - Sega CD
4.Final Fantasy - PSP
5.Super Mario 3D World - Wii U
6.Actraiser - Snes
7.Final Fantasy IV - PSP
8.Batman: Arkham Origins - Xbox 360
9.Contrast - Xbox 360
10.Deus Ex - PC
11.Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Genesis
12.Earthworm Jim - Genesis
13.Dragonball Xenoverse - Xbox One
14.Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Xbox One
15.Sally Acorn in Sonic the Hedgehog - Genesis *
16.Endless Ocean - Wii
17.Star Wars: Dark Forces - PC
18.System Shock - PC
19.Strider - Genesis
20.Streets of Rage - Genesis *
21.Vectorman - Genesis
22.Mega Man X - Snes
23.Streets of Rage 2 - Genesis *
24.Toejam & Earl - Genesis
25.Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon - Wii
26.Gex - 3DO

Fragile Dreams was game F for my alphabet marathon.

Fair warning, don't play Fragile Dreams expecting strong gameplay. The combat pretty much sucks and the game loves to waste your time with a couple of backtracking fetch quests and some large areas that take forever to traverse and have nothing in them.

Having said that, the story is very nice, and the game is filled with intriguing character moments that will get you in the feels. Especially if you take the time to find items left behind before the "apocalypse" that have memories attached to them, allowing you to piece together the stories of folks long dead.

There's a very melancholy mood about it all, and overall Fragile Dreams is a pleasure, even if it can be very tedious sometimes.

Gex was game G, and its a very enjoyable platformer. The controls are surprisingly tight, and there are a lot of really neat levels. Not much challenge, especially since its very easy to stockpile a ton of lives through regular play, but its still very fun. I even liked Gex's cheeseball one liners, even though level triggers caused a couple of them to repeat constantly.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Search still not working. Added the stuff I can remember

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance PC
Rogue Legacy Vita
Grid 2 PC
Dirt 3 PC
Splatoon WiiU
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge WiiU

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition WiiU

With all the talk in the Arkham Knight thread I thought I'd give this version of City a try since it has long been sitting on my shelf with only 20 minutes or so of playtime. I'm actually pretty impressed, and definitely came away from it with the impression that it's probably the best console version of the game.

So, there's all your standard Arkham City fair including the DLC which is still entirely awesome even for a casual Batman fan like myself. The game is named after the new armor you're given for both Batman and Catwoman. The B.A.T system is neat (charges up through regular combat and allows you to unleash critical hits for a short time) and it looks pretty cool, although quite shiny. What's really nice about the WiiU versions is the gamepad specific stuff. It reminds me of Deus Ex in that the gamepad stuff is all implemented thoughtfully and doesn't really feel like it's there just to be a gimmick. It feels cool to mess with their interpretation of the computer Batman has on his arm after seeing him mess with it so much in the other versions but not actually knowing what he's looking at. It takes a tiny bit of getting used to but, before I knew it I was swapping gadgets, hacking nodes (in a far different fashion to the other versions), and gyro aiming baterangs with ease. Voice coms come through the gamepad speakers, and all your character bios, map, upgrades, and data are easily accessible on the gamepad at all times. There's one new gadget in the form of the Sonar which automatically logs Riddler trophies for you so you don't have to scan them all in.

If I have any complaints about this specific version it's the odd framerate issues. It runs fine most of the time, even gliding through the city. What's odd is that, in only some specific instances, the framerate will tank during battle sequences. It was never so bad as to cause me to miss a counter but it was visually jarring many times, especially since the framerate is unlocked and in the indoor sections seems to hover above 30. That said, it's nice that this release has some pretty darn good anti-aliasing and has v-sync permanently enabled. Despite the unlocked framerate, it didn't seem to have the annoying frame-pacing issues that sometimes crop up with that. So the image quality is top notch.

But you know, it's still Arkham City and it's still great. I ended up beating the main story in 3 sittings so I guess that says something. Frankly, it was the perfect place to end the Arkham series in my honest opinion. There are far more stories to be told about the other villains but, perhaps they should have put this particular world to rest, or stuck to doing a few side-story things or prequels instead.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:Hatoful Boyfriend

You are a classy lady and have great taste in gaming.

I'm even considering trying to get this as a Together Retro game, if only because everyone else complains when I say TR should do a dating sim.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:I'm even considering trying to get this as a Together Retro game, if only because everyone else complains when I say TR should do a dating sim.

If we do a dating sim it has to be Love Plus on DS (available in English now). Although it's possible we'd lose a few more members down that rabbit hole.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Ack wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:Hatoful Boyfriend

You are a classy lady and have great taste in gaming.

I'm even considering trying to get this as a Together Retro game, if only because everyone else complains when I say TR should do a dating sim.

I was up for doing a dating sim, I just couldn't find an authentically 'retro' one that had a full English translation.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

How about EVE Burst Error?
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

alienjesus wrote:I was up for doing a dating sim, I just couldn't find an authentically 'retro' one that had a full English translation.

There's no Tokimeki Memorial translation?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PLAY KING'S FIELD.