Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dogman91
128-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by dogman91 »

I would actually say FireRed or LeafGreen (remake of the first game) as it's a great introduction and doesn't overwhelm you with Pokemon. Has a nice, more modern interface over the Game Boy games. The first generation, Red/Blue/Yellow, is a true classic.

I recommend starting off with it over HeartGold because the second half of HeartGold basically goes through the region of the first game with some stuff changed around, so that would basically spoil the whole first game.

IMO after the second generation, the series starts to get convoluted and bloated.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm so glad I never got into shinies. A full living Pokedex in Y is enough for me.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

MrPopo wrote:I'm so glad I never got into shinies. A full living Pokedex in Y is enough for me.
I'm only into it because I love the process of shiny chaining. I'm not a fan of soft resetting or random-encountering, but I've done it for the truly special species. My shiny anorith is my baby.

Also, dang, full pokédex. That I have never done -- not even in the original days.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

marurun wrote:So where should you start if you're curious about Pokemon and want the best experience?

Not to be the guy who doesn't help at all, but literally any of the main series games are great places to start, they're all great.

Some things to note though:

1. Working backwards in the series will make things feel dated when you get to them. That's fine if you can handle that, but the games added a lot of features and refinements each generation that can make some of the older games feel restrictive.

2. Generation 1-4 all had a third version of the game which added some extra features and was basically the definitive version in each gen - those being Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum. They might be the ones worth picking up in each generation if you haven't bought any yet. The remakes (Fire Red/Leaf Green, Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire) don't have third versions, so either of those will do!

3. Generation 5 doesn't have a third version, instead it has sequels - Black 2 and White 2 are direct sequels to Black 1 and White 1, and you should play both.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse is a modern remake of the 1990 Sega Genesis platformer. It looks great, and the game's atmosphere an presentation reminded me a bit of Sony's sublime platformer, Puppeteer. It also contols perfectly, but it is very easy and very short. The difficulty spikes way up at thr final boss, however, and there are lots of collectibles to keep dedicated players busy. In sum, I enjoyed it - and my children enjoyed watching it - so I recommend it to anyone looking for a charming, if exceedingly basic, platformer.

My wife and I also finished up our co-op run of Castle Crashers this weekend. Lots of you have already played this game; so, I will just say that Castle Crashers is a fantastic beat-em-up. It oozes personality; it is tremendously fun; and we both enjoyed it immensely. (Also, the ending is just great.) I suspect we will come back to this one occassionally to fill out our armory, max out our characters' stats, unlock more characters, find more animal friends, and generally just have fun with this great game. I highly recommend it.

BONUS: My Little Pony: Pinkie Pie's Party (NDS)

I purchased a pink Nintendo DS Lite for my daughter earlier this month, and on Saturday morning she beat her first game without any assistance from her parents. (I am so proud of her!) In My Little Pony: Pinkie Pie's Party, you complete mini-games and search Ponyville to find 20 presents and 12 puzzle pieces. The game requires some reading, and my dughter was able to put her new reading skills to use completing the game. Better yet, she genuinely enjoyed the experience, and I will have to find another game for her soon. (Most of the games in my collection are still too hard for her...If anyone has suggestions for Nintendo DS games a six-year-old girl will enjoy, please let me know.)
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

When I was six I beat the original Legend of Zelda. No more coddling her.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:When I was six I beat the original Legend of Zelda. No more coddling her.

Mega Man 2 and 3 when I was 6. It's time she goes hardcore.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:When I was six I beat the original Legend of Zelda. No more coddling her.

Mega Man 2 and 3 when I was 6. It's time she goes hardcore.

:lol:

We are pretty restrictive with regards to screen time; so, it may be a while before she gets to that point. (Moreover, you don't get to play as a girl in either The Legend of Zelda or Mega Man. If she is going to play an old NES game, it will probably be Metroid.) To her credit, however, she did play through Child of Light, and she absolutely crushed Dreambox.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I had a girlfriend when I was six.

Got my PhD at nine.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I had a girlfriend when I was six.

Got my PhD at nine.

So you're still no Doogie Howser.