Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by marurun Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:37 pm

I just beat Momodor III tonight. The first pass, at least. It looks, from the name of one of the achievements, that there is a loop system where you can slowly introduce change. It's a fairly short, but challenging (not Nintendo-hard, however), retro platformer that seems to want to inspire thoughts of Cave Story, at least visually. The sound effects are all 8-bit styled, but the music is not, and is quite pretty. It doesn't really have any core story to speak of, at least not one that stuck in my memory over the couple weeks I've been picking away at it, a few minutes at a time.

Regular price is $4 on Steam. I got it on sale for $2. I would not have felt ripped off at $4. Worth a play.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:03 am

1. Call of Duty United Offensive Expansion Pack - PC (January 16)
2. Dead To Rights - Gamecube (January 24)
3. River City Ransom EX - GBA (February 21)
4. Call of Duty 2 - PC (February 28) (link missing due to this game's post being wiped during the great RB server move)
5. Quake - PC (March 31)
6. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - PC (April 5)
7. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - PC (April 18)
8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - PC (May 19)
9. Super Puzzle Fighter II - GBA (May 23)
10. Saints Row The Third - PC (June 24)
11. *NEW* Konami Krazy Racers - GBA (June 27)

A GBA launch title that probably didn't get a lot of love because it was the first American entry in the long running Wai Wai series from Japan. Most of the initial characters were also from Japan-only Konami games (4 are hidden including the Vic Viper), but the track selection might be a little more familiar to the rest of us, featuring areas inspired by Twinbee, Castlevania, and Metal Gear. There are also special license challenges where you must complete certain tasks. For a Mario Kart knockoff, worth a play.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
wclem
Next-Gen

by wclem Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:58 pm

1. Resident Evil 4 (PS3) Digital
2. Resident Evil 6 (PS3) Disc Version
3. Dying Light (PS4) Disc Version
4. Red Dead Redemption (PS3) Disc Version (Replay)
5. Batman Arkham City (PS3) Disc Version
6. The Order (PS4) Disc Version
7. Valiant Hearts (PS4) Digital Version
8. DMC Definitive (PS4) Disc Version
9. Resident Evil Revelations 2 (PS4) Disc Version
10. God of War - Ghost of Sparta (PS3) PSP digital port
11. God of War - Chains of Olympus (PS3) PSP digital port
12. Max Payne 3 - (PC)
13. Witcher 3 - (PS4)

Sum it all up: Best game yet released on PS4. Buy it, play it, worth full price easily. Also, you are gonna get a bunch of free DLC with this, including extra quest. This game is how games should be done. Not gonna say anything else, no spoilers here!
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:04 pm

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
25. Shining Force II (GEN)
26. Rayman Legends (WIIU)
27. Gorf (ARCADE)
28. Ikachan (3DS)

Ikachan is a very short game from Cave Story's creator, Daisuke Amaya. In it, you play as a squid who saves a group of anemones and fish from a disaster. It is a very, very short "metroidvania" game where the main character looks like a Blooper and controls like a bird from Joust. (You will be pressing the "A" button a lot.) The game is generally charming, and its atmosphere is very similar to Cave Story's. It is also consistently engagin. I was able to beat the game in about an hour, however, and once you have beaten it, there is really no reason to go back to it. I would have felt ripped off if I paid more than $1.50 for it, but since I didn't, I enjoyed it for what it was.
Kidpanda
64-bit

Games Beaten 2015

by Kidpanda Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:19 am

1. Outrun - MD
2. Superman - 2600
3. Super Thunder Blade - MD
4. Bloodborne - PS4
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:46 am

Majora's Mask. Yay!

Seriously, this is the only mainline Zelda I never finished (I consider Four Swords Adventures a side-story). It's... well, it's a good game, and I see the appeal, it's just not built to appeal to me. The focus on sidequests for a lot of the game makes for a lot of work. The dungeons are fine, though! It's also got one of the strangest tones in all of gaming. Seriously weird stuff.

I actually didn't feel the remake changed a whole lot from my experience with the N64 version. Yes, it helps to have a little more smoothness in the engine, but I think the N64 version already felt a little better in that department than Ocarina, probably because it was an Expansion Pak game. There are certainly some nice concessions to saving time in this version. The small tweaks are all for the better for sure.

Toward the end, I went ahead and busted out the walkthrough, as I needed a couple more masks. I know I could have sussed out the Anju/Kafei subquest, but... I was ready to be done with it. I did decide to challenge myself and not use the Fierce Deity much in the final fight. Turned out it wasn't so bad even as normal Link, good dodging and the Great Fairy's Sword helps, as do Light Arrows.

Anyway, glad to have this one behind me. I get the love, I just don't love it myself. I love parts of it, but it's a little too uneven for me to unequivocally recommend.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:29 pm

MrPopo wrote:Still, it's probably one of the best platformers of the DOS school of design. I just prefer my Mega Man and Mario.

I think I enjoyed the first two Duke Nukem games more than you did, but I still agree that Mega Man and Mario are superior.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:25 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Still, it's probably one of the best platformers of the DOS school of design. I just prefer my Mega Man and Mario.

I think I enjoyed the first two Duke Nukem games more than you did, but I still agree that Mega Man and Mario are superior.

Yeah, I might have been more positive towards them if I grew up with those DOS platformers, as I've seen a bunch of them on Ancient DOS Games and they tend to have a lot of the same gameplay elements, and it's clear that Duke Nukem is one of the better ones.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:19 pm

I completed Mega Bomberman on the Sega Genesis this evening!

Man, that game is annoying, frustrating and addicting all at the same time. There are times when I will die and feel like an idiot. Then I will beat the level and feel like the genius. The password feature was greatly used as I had to use many of times as some of the levels were frustrating and the bosses could be extremely mean. The final boss in particular had five miniature stages and then three forms which you have to do with five lives. The music was different and some of it was quite nice. The level design was very unique and innovative. The game can be really good, but really annoying the next. However, the multi-player is superb and the best part of the game!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:54 am

Markies wrote:I completed Mega Bomberman on the Sega Genesis this evening!

Man, that game is annoying, frustrating and addicting all at the same time. There are times when I will die and feel like an idiot. Then I will beat the level and feel like the genius. The password feature was greatly used as I had to use many of times as some of the levels were frustrating and the bosses could be extremely mean. The final boss in particular had five miniature stages and then three forms which you have to do with five lives. The music was different and some of it was quite nice. The level design was very unique and innovative. The game can be really good, but really annoying the next. However, the multi-player is superb and the best part of the game!

I remember struggling with this game a lot as a kid, even though it was one of my favourites.

Then I found out the best tactic is to remember which levels give you what items and the game becomes easy. Get the extra hit heart, the remote control bomb, and a louie in the fire world, grab the walk through bombs and the line bomb item from the water world and it becomes a breeze and very hard to die. If you do screw up you'll probably lose your extra hit heart or louie instead, and they're quick to replace.

The line bomb is key. You can destroy enemies without getting near them. The walk through bombs item gets you out of any stupid mistakes, and the remote stops them going off before you get away.
Return to General Gaming