Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Sarge Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:59 pm

I really enjoyed the first R&C, but it's been a long time. Pretty much all the sequels are gold. I haven't finished Into the Nexus, All For One, Deadlocked, and Quest for Booty. There's also a sort of tower defense one that I've pretty much ignored. Just stick with the mainline entries and you'll have a blast.

I'm also a huge Sly fan. The second game is still the pinnacle for me, but the last PS3 one was also quite good. The first game is good as a straight platformer, not much open-world shenanigans, but incredibly solid stuff.

I've always been a little conflicted on Jak. I went a long way into Jak 2... actually, scratch that, I beat that one. I hear people talk good things about the first game, but I really haven't put in any time to verify. The discussion here certainly isn't helping my desire to really find out.

On the issue of my beating games, or lack thereof... well, I had three straight weeks of travel, then my Dad just had open heart surgery Monday (four bypasses), so things have been pretty insane. Dad's well, by the way, just a long recovery. My family and I have been incredibly blessed.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:26 pm

Xeogred wrote:How far did you go with them Bogus?.

I have only played the first in each of the series, but I want to stress that my critique has not ruined continuing with each series. Far from it! I know that htose were the initial releases of each series and that there is a bit of growing pains for developers during that generation. Things are all just a little off and it takes some adjustment to compensate for the control issues. I am definitely going into sequels for all the games and making judgements accordingly, but each initial game in the series aren't bad, just flawed.

I can't wait to play more though!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:42 pm

I'll agree to that, now I'm feeling more optimistic again about checking out Jak 2. I just had to get out my rage there about Jak 1 haha. Still, it's going to suck majorly with a supposed heavier emphasis on guns, but no strafing... which Ratchet brought in with the second game. I still predict this series being my least favorite of these three, but maybe there's some solid stuff in 2-3.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:44 pm

Xeogred wrote:I'll agree to that, now I'm feeling more optimistic again about checking out Jak 2. I just had to get out my rage there about Jak 1 haha. Still, it's going to suck majorly with a supposed heavier emphasis on guns, but no strafing... which Ratchet brought in with the second game. I still predict this series being my least favorite of these three, but maybe there's some solid stuff in 2-3.

Don't forget Jak X: Combat Racing!!!! :twisted:
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:29 pm

Jak 2 is basically Grand Theft Jak and Daxter

Imagine GTA III, with a much higher spike in difficulty

Jak is a completely different character too, basically he went into a marketing meeting and come out the other side a different character...dark and edgy to appeal to all the teens :roll:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:10 am

1. Pokémon SoulSilver (DS)
2. Sushi Academy (DS)
3. Alcahest (SFC)
4. Comix Zone (GEN)
5. Lost Vikings (GEN)
6. Beautiful Katamari (360)
7. Toejam & Earl (GEN)*
8. Final Fantasy Legend III (GB)
9. Toejam & Earl [2-player] (GEN)*
10. Mass Effect 1 (360)*
11. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64)
12. Pokémon Diamond (DS)
13. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) -- Summer Games Challenge!
14. Earthworm Jim (GEN) - Summer Games Challenge!

15. Phantasy Star III (GEN) - Summer Games Challenge!
So, I loved this game.

I've only played a handful of RPGs, so while Phantasy Star-esque settings in video games might be old hat to a lot of you, they're brand new to me in this medium. I'm used to the "medievalish fantasy world steeped in magic" concept, and also the "monsters meet steampunky airships" sort of thing. By contrast, Phantasy Star reminded me of the Dragonriders of Pern book series by Anne McCaffrey -- the focus is on a medieval culture that has almost completely forgotten the (very) advanced technological roots of its ancestors. They know such roots existed, and they even still use some legacy hardware, like hand-me-down cyborgs... but few are aware of how deep those roots really go.

I love that type of setting, and I hadn't expected Phantasy Star to go as far in that direction as it did. It was awesome.

I drew maps. I filled a dozen notebook pages with cryptic NPC conversations. I took pictures of Major Plot Reveals and e-mailed them to my best friend. I danced to Wren's theme. I hummed the opening tune for weeks. Basically, I had a blast.

Sure, the dialog is stilted, the walking speed is aggravating, the backtracking is a pain, and the game's reliance on invisible passageways that can't be flushed out unless you walk on one specific square is borderline infuriating. But to see this epic tale play out over three generations, with the children you beget (based on pivotal in-game choices) being individuals not only in physical appearance, but in story and worldmap accessibility as well... what an experience. I'm already intending to play another full campaign, start to finish, and to see through the ending scenarios that remain by being efficient with my saves.

I will definitely be playing Phantasy Star IV in the future.

16. Super Mario Bros. (NES) - Summer Games Challenge!
Ah, this game. Classic Gaming 101, right? But just when you thought everybody and their mother knew all the tricks and 1-ups and beanstalks and warp zones by now, here comes Key. She's never beaten it. It's one of her gaming shames. And this summer she's ticked off enough to finally see it through.

I honestly don't have many happy childhood memories with this particular Mario title. In fact, my nicest memory is only tangentially related to it: we had the How to Win at Super Mario Bros. guide almost as soon as we had our NES, and I remember leafing through it before I could read. The hand-drawn level maps fascinated me, as did the very different interpretation of Princess Toadstool. That original guidebook of mine went missing ten years ago, but my husband gave me a new copy a few Christmases back; ever since then I'd had it in the corner of my mind that I would finally bite the bullet and finish the game for real, with the thought being that reading through the guidebook in the process might keep me in a happy place.

The results on that experiment were mixed, but I still did succeed. I can say that I beat each stage individually, never warping past worlds I hadn't beaten fair and square, but I was not going to attempt a full runthrough without the double warp. I just didn't have it in me.

And speaking of mothers: When I shocked myself by clearing the final Hammer Brother and the hammer-throwing Real Bowser(tm) as little Mario on my first attempt, I called my mom. She has similarly wretched memories of this game because she didn't like seeing how much it upset my brother back in the day, who was the household's primary gamer at that time. With victory music in the background I left a message on her answering machine telling her that I'd finally put our old nemesis to rest and we would never have to deal with it again.

This is how she responded (and she's only half kidding):

"I'm so proud of you finishing up Super Mario Brothers!!!! You don't know HOW proud!!!!!! You are a STAR CHILD!!!!! You are AMAZING!!! Where did I EVER get you from????!!!!"

It was worth it. :lol:

* = replay
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
dust_hound
24-bit

by dust_hound Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:52 am

1) Dead Space Extraction (Wii); January 3
2) Resident Evil 4 (Wii); January 11
3) Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii); January 13
4) Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies (Wii); January 16
5) Shadowrun Returns (Android); January 25
6) Gravity Rush (PS Vita); April 4
7) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (PSP); June 7

Just beat the SEBEC storyline. I'm tempted to play through the Snow Queen quest, but for the moment i'm saturated, as i ended up grinding for AGES to get my party strong enough to beat the final boss. I really liked Persona for its old-school charm, although am given to understand that changes were made to make the PSP version easier to play. Not having played the original, i don't know what they were, but i'm not sure if i'd have enjoyed it as much on PSOne.

I got the game for 3 Euros in a recent PSN sale, and i can say i definitely enjoyed playing, and weirdly i liked it more than Persona 3 Portable - mostly because the dungeons had different settings, as opposed to the latter's single, ultra-boring, tower. Definitely liked the fairly unique setting, and the storyline was interesting enough to keep me going through the grind.

OK, now onto... actually, i haven't decided yet!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:35 am

You've got excellent taste in gaming Dust_hound.

----

1. Devil's Attorney (Android | 2012 | strategy) (7/10)
2. Resident Evil 5 (360 | 2009 | action adventure) (8/10)
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (360 | 2010 | kart racer) (8/10)
4. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2 | 2005 | JRPG) (9/10)
5. Gears of War (360 | 2006 | cover shooter) (6/10)
6. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita | 2012 | action adventure) (7/10)
7. Orcs & Elves (DS | 2007 | dungeon crawler) (7/10)
8. From The Abyss (DS | 2008 | action-RPG) (5/10)
9. Army of Two (360 | 2008 | cover shooter) (7/10)
10. Psychic World (Master System | 1991 | platformer) (4/10)
11. Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii | 2010 | adventure / simulation) (9/10)
12. Journey to Silius (NES | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
13. Sword Master (NES | 1992 | platformer) (3/10)
14. Project: Snowblind (PC | 2005 | FPS) (7/10)
15. Yakyuuken Part II - Gal's Dungeon (Famicom | 1989 | maze / puzzle) (5/10)
16. Bishoujo Sexy Derby (Famicom | 1988 | horse racing) (2/10)
17. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC | 2006 | FPS) (5/10)
18. Seirei Gari (AKA Ghost Hunter) (NES | 1989 | puzzle / adventure) (4/10)
19. The Guardian Legend (NES | 1989 | action-RPG / shmup) (9/10)
20. Prey (PC | 2006 | FPS) (7/10)
21. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SFC | 1993 | action-RPG) (4/10)
22. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GameCube | 2001 | combat flight sim) (3/10)
23. Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand (SFC | 1995 | action-RPG) (7/10)
24. Bonk's Adventure (TurboGrafx-16 | 1990 | platformer) (6/10)
25. Lost Kingdoms (GameCube | 2002 | CCG-action-RPG) (8/10)
26. Bonk's Revenge (TurboGrafx-16 | 1991 | platformer) (6/10)
27. Blazing Lazers (TurboGrafx-16 | 1989 | shmup) (7/10)
28. Heatseeker (PS2 | 2007 | arcade flight combat) (7/10)
29. Castlevania: The Adventure (Game Boy | 1989 | platformer) (3/10)
30. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy | 1991 | platformer) (7/10)
31. Castlevania Legends (Game Boy | 1998 | platformer) (5/10)
32. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
33. Bonk's Adventure (Game Boy | 1992 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Ares mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 9/10
35. Castlevania Special: I'm Kid Dracula (Famicom | 1990 | platformer) 7/10
34. Brandish: The Dark Revenant [Dela mode] (PSP | 2009 | dungeon crawler) 8/10
35. Soul Calibur V (360 | 2012 | fighter) 7/10
36. No More Heroes (Wii | 2008 | action adventure) 7/10
37. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis | 1994 | platformer) 7/10
38. Bionic Commando (360 | 2009 | action adventure) 8/10
In 2009 Capcom released a sequel to the original 1988 NES Bionic Commando, developed by Grin, this sequel was also called Bionic Commando. Against all odds, 2009 BC manages to incorporate the free swinging gameplay of 1988 BC, and successfully convert it to the z-axis modern environment. Once the player acclimates to using the bionic arm, they will find themselves swinging all over the stages in furious succession. Combining this swinging with fast blasting action and special bionic arm attacks, 2009 BC has some of the most frenetic and awesome combat you'll ever play in a video game.

But the skill barrier to enjoy this is quite high, the player will have to babysit the camera and deal with manual swinging only at all times. As a long time fan of the Bionic Commando series, I didn't find the plot in this game all that engaging. Nathan Spencer should not have dreads, they look silly on him. There should be more boss battles (the ones that are there are fantastic). Snipers in this game are absolutely obnoxious (a Grin specialty). And roping the player into the linear stages using instantaneously deadly radiation was just dumb (invisible walls would have been a much better choice).

Despite a high learning curve and some questionable design choices, 2009 BC remained a very fun and challenging game for me. It's got great graphics, huge environments, a nice OST that reminisces 1988 BC's own OST. Also stellar voice acting from Mike Patton of all people! Most importantly of all, 2009 BC actually feels like proper Bionic Commando, and given the complexity of the movement requirements for that, it's quite an impressive feat of programming. If you get good at this game, you will be amazed at the chaotic insanity you manage to engage in and survive. The intense combat combined with the frantic aerial travel is often astounding. For high skill action gaming enthusiasts, 2009 Bionic Commando is not a game to swing past.

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:38 am

Well, I might have to pull Bionic Commando back out. After I finish Pillars of Eternity, Majora's Mask, and now Bayonetta 2. ;)
dust_hound
24-bit

by dust_hound Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:17 am

@Exhuminator: *Salute!* Thanks! In the late 90s through to the late 00s, i went through a period where i would try to buy and play every game that i could get my hands on, which was to be honest a pretty unhealthy way to do it, but i definitely think it helped to refine my own personal taste into what it is today. I might not like the games that are necessarily great according to reviews etc, but the games that i now *do* play, with limited time and budget, are ones that i get good mileage and value from.

Even stuff like Disaster: Day of Crisis which was reviewed mostly as middling gave me an interesting experience which i hadn't had from any other game.
Return to General Gaming