Loom - PC [1990]
Metroid II: Return of Samus - GB [1991]
Ninja Commando - - Arcade (MAME) [1992]
Tennis in the Face - Vita
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - PS4
Quake II: The Reckoning - PC *new*

Total: 40

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

This is easily my least favorite Quake series expansion pack, and the amount of annoying bullet sponge/near insta-kill-you enemies in the last couple of hours is just nuts. The levels are boring and lack much of that signature iD design, there is a fair amount of backtracking (though less than in the main game), and the whole thing is just largely forgettable. I'd hoped to play both this and Ground Zero both last month, but this one stalled me and left me disenchanted and it was a push to finish it.

The only positive thing going for it is the length - it was probably 75% or so as long as the main game, which makes it a pretty beefy add on. It took me a little over 7 hours to clear it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by noiseredux Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:04 pm

1. Beavis And Butt-Head In Virtual Stupidity (PC)
2. Renegade Ops (PC)
3. Arena Of Octos (Apple II)
4. Beauty And The Beast (Intellivision)
5. Chivalry (Apple II)
6. Donald Duck's Playground (C64)
7. Left 4 Dead (PC)
8. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
9. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered (PC)
10. Forward To The Sky (PC)
11. Quake (PC)
12: Talisman: Digital Edition (PC)
13: Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round (PC)

I played vanilla DOA5 on PS3, and this is still one of my favorite story modes in a fighter ever. I'm gonna mess around with other modes and difficulties and all, and a proper review will follow.

Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:27 pm

noiseredux wrote:

Is that a picture of someone getting stabbed in the pussy?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:41 pm

wow, I didn't even notice that. Haha. It's actually not.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:20 pm

dsheinem wrote:This is easily my least favorite Quake series expansion pack, and the amount of annoying bullet sponge/near insta-kill-you enemies in the last couple of hours is just nuts. The levels are boring and lack much of that signature iD design, there is a fair amount of backtracking (though less than in the main game), and the whole thing is just largely forgettable. I'd hoped to play both this and Ground Zero both last month, but this one stalled me and left me disenchanted and it was a push to finish it.

The only positive thing going for it is the length - it was probably 75% or so as long as the main game, which makes it a pretty beefy add on. It took me a little over 7 hours to clear it.

That was basically my impression. The Super Gladiators took forever and a day to kill and had that double rocket launcher weapon, and they were far too common late game. I did enjoy the spaceship level and its lead-up; infiltrating the ship, taking it over from within, that was pretty cool for the level of storytelling that was common in that pre Half-Life era.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:51 pm

1. Call of Duty United Offensive Expansion Pack - PC (January 16)
2. Dead To Rights - Gamecube (January 24)
3. River City Ransom EX - GBA (February 21)
4. Call of Duty 2 - PC (February 28) (link missing due to this game's post being wiped during the great RB server move)
5. Quake - PC (March 31)
6. *NEW* The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (PC) (April 5)

It's stealth! It's FPS! It's hand to hand combat! It can be all these and more! It is just that. Also a good movie-based game that does what few of these games do well: stay true to the source material. It might have helped that not only Vin Diesel voice his character here, he also had a hand during development of this game. Cole Hauser also retained his role as Johns the bounty hunter, along with a few other famous voices in this game. It's whatever you might consider it. Lots of stealth action, plenty of chances for silent takedowns, crawling through vents, side quests, and much more. The only issue I had was getting a little lost boarding the first mechanized attack robot and the area around that. This was the 2009 remastered version that was packaged with the sequel, Assault on Dark Athena. I found this best to play at night, since it was really dark to begin with.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:36 am

MrPopo wrote:And now Bloodlines is the only console Classicvania I have to beat.

Are the N64 ones not classic enough? :lol:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:41 am

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)

Mysteries of the Sith is the expansion for Dark Forces II, and it does a lot of really cool things. It also does a lot of things I really dislike.

Mysteries of the Sith builds upon the light side plotline of Dark Forces II and contains 14 new levels but is broken up into four distinct sections: Kyle Katarn protects a rebel base, Mara Jade helps out a Hutt, Mara saves the Jedi Holocron, and Mara searches for Kyle in a Sith temple. Yeah, most of the game is spent playing as Mara Jade, a bit of a change up since everything has been from Kyle's view up to the point, but as Mara is a hugely beloved character from the Star Wars expanded universe and happens to be training under Kyle while he leaves, the transition to a new viewpoint isn't particularly jarring. The biggest issue is that several things reset during this transition, such as force powers(since Mara isn't as capable as Kyle at the start) and both weapons and items(since Mara hasn't acquired them yet). Also, I discovered the occasional soundbyte problem, such as Stormtroopers shouting about Mara while I was playing as Kyle, though these were relatively minor.

The biggest issue is level design varies significantly throughout. Level design was such a highlight in Dark Forces II that it's a shame to see it get weaker, but it does. Of particular note is level 2, where Kyle must infiltrate an Imperial facility on an asteroid but must shoot through an open door to destroy a control panel to enter. Don't shoot the panel, and the door locks, forcing you to restart the level. Unfortunately nothing tells you to shoot the panel. I spent several hours wandering around in a circle wondering where to go before finally turning to a guide and then having to restart the level. But a few levels later, I was breaking into a Hutt fortress as Mara and having an absolute blast, jumping from window to window and blasting whatever alien scum got in my way. Later I was running through a rebel ship under attack from space pirates with a big grin on my face as people were screaming around me about different systems being shot to Hell. And then I ended up in the final section, which forced me to only use the lightsaber, and it all just went down the tubes for me.

The final section takes place near a Sith temple, and the only weapons you have available are the lightsaber and your force powers. You can screw yourself here, as the final three levels are loaded with bad guys which can ream you in melee and kill you off in three hits or less. Take the wrong force powers, and you're down to the lightsaber only, and I never could get a firm grasp on its hit detection, especially with the double swing. There are cool elements, like living statues you must engage in mass lightsaber duels, but I find this last section a boring crawl where I spent just as much time waiting for my force abilities to regenerate. Also, if there is some kind of marker to tell me how much force power I currently have saved up, I never figured out where it was, so I felt like I was playing blind. Boredom set in many times. Boredom and annoyance. It made me want to go back to hopping through apartment windows in the Hutt's lair, or even that scene where I had to fight a rancor. That section sucked, but I felt awesome afterwards.

The other big issue with Mysteries of the Sith is the double-stacked weapons. Occasionally you have to hit the same weapon select button to find the other weapon stored on the same slot. I figured it out after the third time of examining the controls trying to discover how to use the Imperial blaster's scope.

At its best, Mysteries of the Sith rivals the best parts of Dark Forces II. At its worse, it can be misleading, frustrating, and very boring. It's a mixed bag, but not necessarily a bad one overall. I still liked quite a bit of it. I just wouldn't recommend it to the layperson.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:22 am

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:And now Bloodlines is the only console Classicvania I have to beat.

The N64 ones are Modernvanias, along with the PS2 ones.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:29 am

MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:

The N64 ones are Modernvanias, along with the PS2 ones.

To an extent, yes, though at least Castlevania 64 sits on a weird middle ground between the two. It feels like it wasn't sure which generation it should belong to. And then skeletons on motorcycles show up.
Return to General Gaming