Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
irixith
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by irixith Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Are you guys talking about Rondo or Symphony? (Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no... Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no...)

Symphony > Rondo, personally, but they're both excellent games for different reasons.
dust_hound
24-bit

by dust_hound Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:22 pm

Can't believe i haven't finished a game since January! Lately, i've started various games, but then given up due to control bullshittery, or general dislike of their core gameplay, and have been moaning about it throughout the "Games NOT beaten" thread. I'm therefore pleased to report that i have actually reached the end of one!

1) Dead Space Extraction (Wii); January 3
2) Resident Evil 4 (Wii); January 11
3) Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii); January 13
4) Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies (Wii); January 16
5) Shadowrun Returns (Android); January 25
6) Gravity Rush (PS Vita); April 4

Played through and reached the end of the story campaign. I loved the aesthetics and soundtrack of Gravity Rush, and the way in which the world and its mysteries were introduced and unveiled was really good. I personally also liked the way that some plot threads were left unexplained. There were a few moments of annoyance due to the gravity shifting mechanic, such as enemies turning away when you're trying to dive-kick them, but this was eventually managed by good positioning and a bit of grinding to level up your powers. The good thing about the latter was that it went hand in hand with exploration of the game's areas, as it was through doing this that you'd find crystals in various locations which were used to power-up. The way in which you manipulated gravity to 'fly' around was truly mesmerising, and it really did feel like a fresh mechanic, supported by a great art style which also gave you a sense of scale of the environments. The storyline was good to play through, and various events that unlocked during gameplay, such as races, object throwing using gravity powers, trying to beat waves of enemies etc, all felt like nice opportunities to add the score-attack replay value to the game once the main story was completed. That said, the world felt a little bit empty due to a lack of a) sidequests, and b) interaction with the people living in the world - they're literally mobile objects and the only way they acknowledge you're there is ducking when you crash down from the sky near them, and screaming in terror as your gravity powers lift them into the air (they don't die from being accidentally flung around in this way, though). The game has some purchasable DLC packs that give the excellent main character, Kat, new costumes and a few new missions, but for the moment i've had my fill and enjoyed it.

Right, now continuing through my backlog! I'm trying to get through PSOne Alundra, PS Vita Soldner X2, replay of Wii Twilight Princess, and other miscellany.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:25 pm

irixith wrote:Are you guys talking about Rondo or Symphony? (Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no... Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no...)

Symphony > Rondo, personally, but they're both excellent games for different reasons.

Rondo. I haven't played Symphony in a very long time and I don't think I'll see it favourably today so I refrain from playing it again.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:50 pm

Games Beaten 2015

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS
Painkiller - PC
Gungrave: Overdose - PS2
Adventure -Atari 2600 (PS2)
Auto Racing - Intellivision (PS2) [1979]
Boxing - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1980]
The Count - TI99/4A (emulated) [1981]
Dragonstomper - Atari 2600/Starpath Supercharger (emulated) [1982]
Enduro - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1983]
Diablo III - PS4
Front Line - Atari 2600 (emulated) [1984]
Gertie Goose - The Lost Eggs - C64 (emulated) [1985]
Ocean Commander - Wii
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - PS2
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PS4
Mortal Kombat: Deception - PS2
The Order: 1886 - PS4
The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo - PC
Grab Them By The Eyes - PC
Growl - PS2/Arcade
Hydlide - NES [1986]
Ikari Warriors - NES [1987]
Jonah Barrington's Squash - C64 (emulated) [1988]
Steel Diver - 3DS
Super Mario 3D World - - Wii U
Quake II - PC
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - PS4
Kung Fu Louie vs. The Martial Art Posse - PC [1989]
Loom - PC [1990]
Metroid II: Return of Samus - GB [1991]
Ninja Commando - - Arcade (MAME) [1992]
Tennis in the Face - Vita
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - PS4
Quake II: The Reckoning - PC *new*

Total: 40

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

This is easily my least favorite Quake series expansion pack, and the amount of annoying bullet sponge/near insta-kill-you enemies in the last couple of hours is just nuts. The levels are boring and lack much of that signature iD design, there is a fair amount of backtracking (though less than in the main game), and the whole thing is just largely forgettable. I'd hoped to play both this and Ground Zero both last month, but this one stalled me and left me disenchanted and it was a push to finish it.

The only positive thing going for it is the length - it was probably 75% or so as long as the main game, which makes it a pretty beefy add on. It took me a little over 7 hours to clear it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:04 pm

1. Beavis And Butt-Head In Virtual Stupidity (PC)
2. Renegade Ops (PC)
3. Arena Of Octos (Apple II)
4. Beauty And The Beast (Intellivision)
5. Chivalry (Apple II)
6. Donald Duck's Playground (C64)
7. Left 4 Dead (PC)
8. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
9. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered (PC)
10. Forward To The Sky (PC)
11. Quake (PC)
12: Talisman: Digital Edition (PC)
13: Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round (PC)

I played vanilla DOA5 on PS3, and this is still one of my favorite story modes in a fighter ever. I'm gonna mess around with other modes and difficulties and all, and a proper review will follow.

Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:27 pm

noiseredux wrote:

Is that a picture of someone getting stabbed in the pussy?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:41 pm

wow, I didn't even notice that. Haha. It's actually not.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:20 pm

dsheinem wrote:This is easily my least favorite Quake series expansion pack, and the amount of annoying bullet sponge/near insta-kill-you enemies in the last couple of hours is just nuts. The levels are boring and lack much of that signature iD design, there is a fair amount of backtracking (though less than in the main game), and the whole thing is just largely forgettable. I'd hoped to play both this and Ground Zero both last month, but this one stalled me and left me disenchanted and it was a push to finish it.

The only positive thing going for it is the length - it was probably 75% or so as long as the main game, which makes it a pretty beefy add on. It took me a little over 7 hours to clear it.

That was basically my impression. The Super Gladiators took forever and a day to kill and had that double rocket launcher weapon, and they were far too common late game. I did enjoy the spaceship level and its lead-up; infiltrating the ship, taking it over from within, that was pretty cool for the level of storytelling that was common in that pre Half-Life era.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:51 pm

1. Call of Duty United Offensive Expansion Pack - PC (January 16)
2. Dead To Rights - Gamecube (January 24)
3. River City Ransom EX - GBA (February 21)
4. Call of Duty 2 - PC (February 28) (link missing due to this game's post being wiped during the great RB server move)
5. Quake - PC (March 31)
6. *NEW* The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (PC) (April 5)

It's stealth! It's FPS! It's hand to hand combat! It can be all these and more! It is just that. Also a good movie-based game that does what few of these games do well: stay true to the source material. It might have helped that not only Vin Diesel voice his character here, he also had a hand during development of this game. Cole Hauser also retained his role as Johns the bounty hunter, along with a few other famous voices in this game. It's whatever you might consider it. Lots of stealth action, plenty of chances for silent takedowns, crawling through vents, side quests, and much more. The only issue I had was getting a little lost boarding the first mechanized attack robot and the area around that. This was the 2009 remastered version that was packaged with the sequel, Assault on Dark Athena. I found this best to play at night, since it was really dark to begin with.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:36 am

MrPopo wrote:And now Bloodlines is the only console Classicvania I have to beat.

Are the N64 ones not classic enough? :lol:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming