Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
cha cha
128-bit

Re: World record collection for sale

by cha cha Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:29 am

I mean, just playing devil's advocate here, but...

Exhuminator wrote:I've seen a lot of assumptions in this thread as to why he's selling this now. But the auction says:
I simply have an immediate family and extended family that have needs that need to be addressed. While I do not wish to part with these games, I have responsibilities that I have made to others and this action is how I will help meet them.

Does that mean you believe every sob story about why someone is selling or needing money on ebay and craigslist? Because I assure you most of the people who read that are already jaded to all the fake stories and scams, thus assume the he's hamming it up to get more money.

$0.02
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: TTT2: Christie/PJack, Bob/Jinpachi, Raven/Zafina » SC5: Leixia, Tira, Aeon, Maxi » SF4: Elena, Rose, Cammy » GGAC+R: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF13: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS5: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:10 am

cha cha wrote:Does that mean you believe every sob story about why someone is selling or needing money on ebay and craigslist?

You mean the Nigerian Prince isn't real? :shock:

Of course I'm not that naive, but I'm not so jaded that I wouldn't give a stranger the benefit of a doubt either.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
cha cha
128-bit

by cha cha Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:32 am

Wow, this sale is now getting meaningful press across several major sites-

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/06/w ... the-world/

Too bad the price he wants isn't really in 'impulse buy' territory for most lol. But again, good luck to Mike!
Player of Fighting Games: TTT2: Christie/PJack, Bob/Jinpachi, Raven/Zafina » SC5: Leixia, Tira, Aeon, Maxi » SF4: Elena, Rose, Cammy » GGAC+R: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF13: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS5: Mina Majikina

jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:57 am

Someone sould organize a very large group purchase for this. Do we know anyone who's good at facilitating that sort of thing?
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Silver, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
bryan_65
Next-Gen

by bryan_65 Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:01 pm

jmbarnes101 wrote:Someone sould organize a very large group purchase for this. Do we know anyone who's good at facilitating that sort of thing?

We have over 5000 members, so at $60k that would be $12 a piece.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:01 pm

jmbarnes101 wrote:Someone sould organize a very large group purchase for this. Do we know anyone who's good at facilitating that sort of thing?

That would be a looot of work and coordination. Dividing it up in a fair way would also be a beast of a task.
cha cha
128-bit

by cha cha Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Personally after seeing it up close, there is not much of it I'd want. I kinda only collect things I like, and I always end up buying things I like for myself long before they are available in giant used game lots. So splitting to inevitably have everyone fighting over the cream of the crop while trying to shovel off the crap onto others... seems like it'd be a harrowing experience for a majority of said group. :lol:

That being said, if somehow you guys do form a purchase group... I'd possibly be interested in buying the Jaguar/Jag CD and 3DO cib portions of the collection :P

Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:31 pm

It's already been pointed out, but:
I simply have an immediate family and extended family that have needs that need to be addressed. While I do not wish to part with these games, I have responsibilities that I have made to others and this action is how I will help meet them.
I read this and jumped to the worst possible conclusion -- serious illness in his family -- which I sincerely hope is an overreaction on my part. My second thought was college tuition, if he's got kids.

I haven't watched any footage of the collection, but since he makes a point of clarifying in his description that none of the games are duplicates ("Guinness did not count duplicates, so every game is unique with no repeats"), it seems plausible that he'll still be keeping some extra copies.

But whether he's going cold-turkey on collecting or not, I'm not sure why folks are upset at this. He won the penultimate award for his efforts, and has chosen to retire. Seems pretty logical.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:39 pm

I'll bite.

I'm in for 6K to a max of 72K.

We'd need 11 more. I'll handle the finances; someone closer might need to coordinate pickup, storage and individual shipping.

Eronn - you in?
cha cha
128-bit

by cha cha Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:27 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:I'll bite.

I'm in for 6K to a max of 72K.

We'd need 11 more. I'll handle the finances; someone closer might need to coordinate pickup, storage and individual shipping.

Eronn - you in?

Are you going in for straight up even splits or are you allowing action on people who want a less significant portion of things? I can understand you not wanting to do that however, because it complicates the situation exponentially... But there is simply not 6k worth of games in his collection that I'd want, or go through the trouble of reselling.

Return to General Gaming