Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Series With Sequels That Are Prequels

by GSZX1337 Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:57 am

I've been meaning to get back into Deus Ex since Human Revolution released, but I'm not sure which game to start with since HR is a prequel. Should I start with the original game since it's the best game ever made the first title released, or should I start with Human Revolution since it's the first title in the canon? I have a similar quandary with the recent Batman games. Arkham Oranges is a prequel to Arkham Asylum, and like Human Revolution, it's a later release.

Then, I come to Devil May Cry 3. I haven't played it, but I have played the previous two and I don't think I'd suggest starting with the third title. While DMC 3 takes place before the first game, there are gameplay innovations that I'd imagine would make the first title seem stodgy in comparison. However, the difference with Deus Ex and Batman is that unlike DMC I actually care about the story in those two games. With DMC I put gameplay above the story, but with Deus Ex, and Batman especially, I'm likely to put the story above the gameplay.

So what say you? Do you have a rule when it comes to prequel sequels?
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Series With Sequels That Are Prequels

by dsheinem Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:58 am

All prequels are sequels
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:20 am

I laughed... :roll:

Release date order is what I generally prefer 90% of the time, with games, anime, movies, etc anything. Not always, but a lot of times there are probably things in prequels you'd never get unless you've experienced the original(s) or whatever.
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:50 am

i always play/watch in order of release. prequels are supposed to give you that "ah-ha!" moment from filling in gaps left by the original. if you aren't familiar with the first game, you won't really get that same feeling. plus, the way they were originally intended to be played is in release order, and that's likely the way everyone else played them as they came out.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:26 am

I typically aim to play series in order. For me, that's release-order with the exception of remakes counting as the original.

Prequels might shed light on elements of earlier games, but it's not like there's a game developer thinking "I hope that people don't play this until they play the NEXT game which will come out a few years from now."
Damm64
Next-Gen

by Damm64 Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Xeogred wrote:
Release date order

There. You don't need to even think about it.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Prequels are usually meant to be taken in the context of the older works. For example you might miss important references or plot points by playing the prequel first that only make sense if you've played the earlier games even though they happen later in the timeline. You almost always get more out of a prequel by following the order of release and not the in-universe timeline.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

by Violent By Design Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Prequels are sequels, so the proper order is to play them in release day. The chronological order doesn't really matter.

Like sequels a prequel plays on stuff that has happened in the original title, so the impact of seeing something like a character who was old in one game is now young, would mean relatively little to you.
MrEco
Next-Gen

by MrEco Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Pretty much what everyone else says. Play them in release order for the best experience both in story and gameplay mechanics. I use to wonder the same thing to be honest, so I know where you're coming from.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
tintinmayo
24-bit

by tintinmayo Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:13 pm

agree with what everyone says. Release date order, because you won't get those special moments when the prequel fills in gaps from the original and references stuff.

Also, similar to movies, the prequels may look better than the originals so you'll be disappointed if you start with the prequel first. I mean, we can all harp about graphics being secondary to gameplay, but I'm betting that there are people out there who started with Crisis Core and was disappointed with Final Fantasy VII's crude visuals.
Return to General Gaming