Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2014

by alienjesus Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:46 pm

dsheinem wrote:
alienjesus wrote:

For what it's worth, I use the backloggery definitions where 'beating' a game means getting to the end, and 'completing' a game means doing everything. A 1CC might be necessary for a completion in that case.

Kinda the opposite to how you'd define them.

I thought you were worn out of this discussion :lol:

The definitions of these terms are themselves fairly arbitrary and culturally specific (as Alexander's article illustrates). The beauty (horror?) of this thread is that we aren't beholding to Backloggery's definitions or anyone else's - instead we get to regularly clarify our usage based on context :)

I guess I lied :lol:

Yeah, this thread is what it is, and thats why I feel like this debate gets a bit redundant. People list stuff they want to list, under their own terms.

I never list a game I've beaten before for example, whereas that makes up most of luke's list. Nothing wrong with either of those - for me it's about talking about new experiences, so thats what I post.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:16 pm

dunpeal2064 wrote:Okay, so Bone, remember when I was playing Ys for the first time? Sharing that experience with you, talking about the bosses, the difficulties I had, etc, was an awesome experience for me. I know you love these games, and I really enjoyed talking about them with you (and I hope it was at least somewhat entertaining to see someone enjoy one of your favorite games).

When you credit feed Mushi Futari, you basically eliminate that discussion. I can't ask you, "Man, what did you think of the 2nd half of Stage 3?", or, "Dude, isn't Palm so much better at taking out the 4th boss?", Or "Dude, there is a hidden extend in Stage 5, with that you could probably kill Larsa!" or, "Oh, Stage 2 boss 2nd form, you should probably drop a bomb there". None of that. We aren't even playing the same game. You're Stage 3 boss will be, "I don't know, I died and bombed and put in a credit"

In all honesty, I just want to discuss the games I love with you guys, and credit feeding eliminates the need for any discussion, past "good music, cool sprites"

This isn't true for most games. Not even all shmups. You can credit feed a shmup with checkpoints and still experience the game, whether its a "legit" clear or not. You can stick in the Contra code and still share your experiences. I feel it really is a unique thing with these shmups that have been meticulously designed around 1-credit play.

I don't care if you 1cc every game, or any game, but it sucks when people play your favorite game in a way where discussion of its awesomeness is basically irrelevant.

Points taken.

Though I think I can still discuss a game like DeathSmiles even though it typically takes me 3-4 credits to complete. I suppose we could discuss "credit feeding" by continuing every 2nd level or so vs. credit feeding by pumping in continues every thirty seconds but let's not go down that rabbit hole. I would like to think I'm only guilty of the former, anyway.

Funny you mention Ys because Ys is what caused me to draw a parallel between shmups and RPGs in the first place - as I was once told by someone that I didn't truly beat The Oath in Felghana, as I didn't play it on its original platform (PC), on the highest difficulty setting, in Japanese........

I guess it all relates back to one's passion for certain genres. You clearly love shmups, which is why you consider a shmup "beaten" when it's one CC'ed. Likewise, I love classic JPRGs and won't consider a Japan-only RPG (like Magic Knight Rayearth, the last game I finished) "beaten" until I play an actual cartridge (vs. a translated ROM or repro cart) in Japanese. That's how I do it.

I think ultimately there's a lot of "agreeing to disagree" in this thread, which is fine.

alienjesus wrote:I'll reiterate again my feelings on that matter:

Does the game offer me a way to continue, without inputting a cheat code, or deviating from the standard options

If no: it's not beaten unless I beat it within the standard settings

If yes: If I use it, it's something actively offered by the game, and I'll make use of it as much as I want.

Does it mean I've become an expert at the game - no.
Does it mean I have fully appreciated the game - not necessarily.
Does it mean I haven't been able to appreciate the game at all - also no. I've seen a lot more of the game than I probably would otherwise.
Is it cheating? - no, the game offers it by default, it's a standard setting
Does it mean I won't try to limit my continues or play the game in a different way in future - absolutely not. In fact, I plan to try limiting myself to 3 continues next time I play (seems pretty standard for a non-arcade shmup, and gives me the ability to try my hand at later parts of the game and learn those too).

This is articulated perfectly, and reflects exactly where I stand as well.

noiseredux wrote:Related: Looking so forward a week or so from now when I list NFL 2K to seeing JM finally show up in this thread to question how I beat it. (How many games is his 2014 list up to now, Dave?)

I'll state again, as I did last year, that I consider virtually any game "beatable" for the purposes of this thread. Whether it be a looper, MMO, sports game, or whatever. To limit what can be listed does nothing but stifle discussion and analysis.

Anyway, good posts all. I admit I have grown a bit weary of all this myself so I won't post again in this thread until I........ beat a game. 8)
Ack

by Ack Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:22 pm

Personally, I don't think any of you have actually beaten a video game until you play it all the way through to the end, remove it from your console(or PC), put it back in its complete and mint-condition case, send it in to the VGA to be graded, receive it back, mount it on your wall, and rig up a massive display case around it complete with neon lights, a laser show, and glowing stripper poles where exotic dancers perform to prove your dedication to gaming, all while you are both intoxicated and fornicating.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:39 pm

Ack

by Ack Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:40 pm

isiolia wrote:But...they only VGA grade unused items...

You mean you don't know how to seal a game?

HERETIC
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:45 pm

I do, but, a reseal would be lying, and the ladies hate dishonesty. So, I'd have to pick between the VGA grading or the hedonism.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:28 pm

alienjesus wrote:I never list a game I've beaten before for example, whereas that makes up most of luke's list. Nothing wrong with either of those - for me it's about talking about new experiences, so thats what I post.

That's why there is a year attached with the thread title. And trust me, I've probably beaten Sonic the Hedgehog five or six times this year already. What can I say, I definitely know what I like.

I also know what I don't like, and that's dicking around in games, which is why I don't play a lot of new games. I'm sure Skyrim is great, but I played it for nearly an hour and a half, and I stabbed one dude and a wolf. Bored to tears I was.

And after almost a full year of play, I'm only 73.33% finished with Sleeping Dogs. Sleeping Dogs is pretty amazing, but it feels like I've been replaying the same mission for fourteen hours. "Drive here, beat up thugs, rinse repeat". Yes, I'm selling the game a bit short as there are some neat missions (bugging a surgeons office)put give me the games that make my palms sweat.
Wispmage
32-bit

by Wispmage Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:58 pm

And here I thought that you guys had worn out the 'beaten vs. completed' debate. :lol:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Wispmage wrote:And here I thought that you guys had worn out the 'beaten vs. completed' debate. :lol:

It's debate that can't be completed or beaten
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:27 pm

It just loops.

Like Yars' Revenge.
Return to General Gaming