Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2014

by Xeogred Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:32 am

Sload Soap wrote:DOOM 64

Oh man, play the PC port/TC "Absolution" sometime. Better controls, framerate, resolution/textures, etc.

The game is fantastic and yeah, everything you said. It's easily more Doom 3 than Doom 3 ever was (still a fan of 3 though). I loved how hard 64 got later on, Hell Knight's were the Imp's in the later levels.
Ack

by Ack Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:06 am

Xeogred wrote:

Oh man, play the PC port/TC "Absolution" sometime. Better controls, framerate, resolution/textures, etc.

The game is fantastic and yeah, everything you said. It's easily more Doom 3 than Doom 3 ever was (still a fan of 3 though). I loved how hard 64 got later on, Hell Knight's were the Imp's in the later levels.

Does it use WASD and mouselook?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:38 am

Ack wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Does it use WASD and mouselook?

I can't remember exactly how it all works, but it uses the Doom 2 WAD so from there you can do just about anything you want depending on the source port you use. Another reason I loved the PC TC, so much you can do with it.
http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-download.html
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

by Violent By Design Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:59 am

What are the differences between Doom 64 and Doom 3?
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Violent By Design wrote:What are the differences between Doom 64 and Doom 3?

About 7 years of changes in game design philosophy.

Doom 64 plays more like old Doom.

Doom 3 plays like Doom 3. Very very dark environments. Not quite as much focus on shooting things. Too many bad attempts at jump scares.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

by Violent By Design Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:41 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Violent By Design wrote:What are the differences between Doom 64 and Doom 3?

About 7 years of changes in game design philosophy.

Doom 64 plays more like old Doom.

Doom 3 plays like Doom 3. Very very dark environments. Not quite as much focus on shooting things. Too many bad attempts at jump scares.

You know, I totally had a brainfart on what Doom 3 was.

My question should have been, is Doom 64 a remake/port of Doom 1 or 2?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:24 pm

1. Bad Dudes vs. DragonNinja (Wii - Data East Arcade Classics)
2. Caveman Ninja (Wii - Data East Arcade Classics)
3. Crude Buster (Wii - Data East Arcade Classics)
4. Heavy Barrel (Wii - Data East Arcade Classics)
5. Secret Agent (Wii - Data East Arcade Classics)
6. Wizard Fire (Wii - Data East Arcade Classics)
7. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
8. Burning Fight (PlayStation 2 - SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1)
9. Magician Lord (PlayStation 2 - SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1)
10. Metal Slug (PlayStation 2 - SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1)
11. Sengoku (PlayStation 2 - SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1)
12. Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy (PlayStation 2 - SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1)
13. Metal Slug 4 (PlayStation 2 - Metal Slug 4 & 5)
14. Metal Slug 5 (PlayStation 2 - Metal Slug 4 & 5)
15. Metal Slug XX (PSP)
16. Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)
17. Smash TV (PlayStation 2 - Midway Arcade Treasures)
18. Total Carnage (Xbox - Midway Arcade Treasures 2)
19. Skyblazer (SNES)
20. Mega Man II (Game Boy)
21. The Monkey King: The Legend Begins (Wii)
22. Ys (Saturn - Falcom Classics)
23. Super Mario Bros. (SNES - Super Mario All-Stars)
24. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (SNES - Super Mario All-Stars)
25. Super Mario Bros. 2 (SNES - Super Mario All-Stars)
26. Super Mario Bros. 3 (SNES - Super Mario All-Stars)
27. Super Mario World (SNES)
28. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
29. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)

I was in the mood to play a bunch of Mario games on the SNES (used a Super Game Boy for Mario Land 2).

I won't go into much detail about these games, as most folks have played them. Here are some general impressions.

I prefer Super Mario Bros. on the SNES rather than the NES. It's a bit easier and feels more fluid, though perhaps that's just because I prefer the SNES controller to all others.

The Lost Levels is a product of Miyamoto's shroom addiction and/or a massive trolling attempt by Nintendo. It plays like the first game, but nothing makes sense - warp zones take you backwards, poisonous mushrooms can kill you, bloopers and "spinnies" (that's what I call those fire sticks) appear outdoors, there are fake Bowsers, poop (or some other brown stuff) falls from the sky amidst strong winds and tosses you around, jumping over the flagpole is a regular occurrence, Bowser appears outside of a castle, blocks spell out アリガトウ! (Arigatou!) in one level, and it goes on...... Oh and the game is stupidly hard. Thankfully there are unlimited continues in this SNES port. I always choose to play as Luigi, as he can jump farther than his pudgy bro.

The American Super Mario Bros. 2 has always been a favorite of mine. I love all the new enemies - shy guys rule. I play through the entire game as the princess. There's seriously no reason to ever choose anyone else. I don't care if the other characters are faster vegetable pickers or whatever. DEM FLOATY JUMPS.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is way better on the SNES as you can actually save. As a kid I always had to use warp whistles as I could never find the time to play it from start to finish. Brilliant game. Probably my second favorite Mario title after............

Super Mario World. Possibly the best platformer ever. This is probably my most-beaten and best-memorized video game of all time. I ★96 it every time, and generally rack up over 50 lives in the process. This game is pure bliss. Love it.

Now on to Yoshi's Island, which I just played for the first time. This is a weird one. It's nothing like it's predecessor. I actually dig the baby Mario health system, it's very reminiscent of Sonic's rings. That said, it's never very hard to get baby Mario back after he's lost. I'd say 90% of lives lost during my playthrough were due to instant-death traps - holes, spikes, lava. The egg tossing is okay but not great. I never really got used to the aiming. It doesn't feel like it belongs in a fast-paced platformer, I would have preferred simpler 4-direction run 'n' gun shooter controls. Nintendo really outdid themselves with the bosses here though, they're amazing. No more "jump on his head three times" Koopa kids. Overall, this is an alright game. I liked it, didn't love it.

I do love Super Mario Land 2. It's a huge upgrade over the first game in every way possible. Kazumi Totaka's soundtrack is brilliant and the carrot may be my favorite flying ability in a Mario game. I don't own the sequel (Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3), so that's something I'll have to look into eventually.
Ack

by Ack Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:26 pm

You are not making me want to play Lost Levels, chief.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:29 pm

It's kind of both and neither. Tonally and perhaps in level design I'd say it was closer to Quake than Doom. But the game plays like Doom 2. You don't need to mouse aim or anything and strafing is key. And yeah, it gets hard later on.

@Xeogred: I will check that out one day. I wanted to play Doom 64 in isolation first though to see how it worked. But if you don't have an N64 or aren't willing to emulate, the absolution mod is the way to go from what I hear.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:30 pm

@Ack

Play it. You'll finish it in a few hours. You can save at any time and continue in any level. It's worth it just for the insanity.

Try to the avoid the warp zones (even the good ones that take you forward). If you warp at all you miss out on the epic bonus World 9. 8)
Return to General Gaming