4. Binary Domain (PS3)
5. New Super Mario Bros U (WiiU)
6. Silent Hill 4 The Room (PS2)
7. Deus Ex: HR* Director's Cut (WiiU)
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

* = replay

Donkey Kong Country Returns...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzF79H23By8

I beat this game in like three sessions, which is rare for me nowadays.

For me this blows the New Super Mario Bros games out of the water. I also have to say that I am extremely harsh on non-sprite based platformers to this day, for whatever reason. There's some good ones out there, some cool indie games going on... but it's ultra hard for them to really make an impression on me or for me to straight up even care to finish most. My biggest issue is that I feel like the 3D/polygon look in a lot of stuff is often too busy (Sonic Generations), and just simply lacks atmosphere. I can confidently say DKCR dodges that bullet and was oozing with density, just like the original trilogy. Topped off with amazing music, that was mostly remixes, but it's not like those originals can be topped anyways! And I dig Kenji Yamamoto so it was cool seeing what he did here.

I wasn't sure if I'd be done before Tropical Freeze, and bam I couldn't put the controller down. Buying Tropical Freeze ASAP when it's out. The return of David Wise, insane graphics upgrade, bigger huge levels to explore... I am so stoked. It's my 1994 Christmas all over again!

11 out of 10 for the Factory World. Blew my face off.

Maybe Retro will do another, who knows. I'd prefer for them to revive Metroid after the Team Ninja beatdown on the franchise, and I'd also love to see these guys tackle Zelda since Miyamoto said it's possible. Either way, these guys rock and I can't believe it took me this long to play DKCR. Two bananas up.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2014

by Fragems Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:48 am

Games Beaten 2014:

1.GTA V(360)
2.Brothers(PSN)
3.Infamous(PS3)*

*=replay

This was my second play this was actually a pack in game with my system when I first got it. Recently picked up the Infamous Collection for cheap so I decided to blow through it to refresh my memory before I dived into Infamous 2.

Overall it was a fun experience running through it again. The game play was as solid as I remember it being and the story was decent. Only thing that kind of bugged me was the repetitive side missions and the way the city feels empty.

This game was probably one of my main reasons for picking up a PS3 when it came out i remember being so hyped and then realizing it was PS3 only :P. So of course i ended up picking up Prototype which while cool did a lot of things that pissed me off(plot holes, cleared bases re spawning, shit final boss, etc) :P.

Anyways I have moved into Infamous 2 now and so far I am blown away. Graphics are a huge improvement and the city seems very alive. Only things that were kind of a let down was Coles lack of powers at the start(would have expected to have all of my powers from infamous one at least for the first scene) and the bugs which are especially bad in the user created content :P. Overall the game looks amazing and I think I;m really going to dig the epic boss fights.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:50 am

I played Infamous last year myself and was definitely impressed at how well it's aged. Overall, it seems like most PS3 exclusive launch/early games have honestly aged very well. The 360 and multiplatform games at the time on the other hand, is another story...

MGS4, Killzone 2, and Infamous, etc, still look and play amazing as if they were just released.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:56 am

Xeogred wrote:8. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

Man, now I want to go out and play this before Tropical Freeze comes out. Money's a bit tight for me though and I'd have to put off Tropical Freeze until next month! I don't know what to do! :lol:

Tropical Freeze is looking absolutely gorgeous though.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:05 am

Xeogred wrote:I played Infamous last year myself and was definitely impressed at how well it's aged. Overall, it seems like most PS3 exclusive launch/early games have honestly aged very well. The 360 and multiplatform games at the time on the other hand, is another story...

MGS4, Killzone 2, and Infamous, etc, still look and play amazing as if they were just released.

I really have the itch to go back and play through the uncharted series Loved those games so much that it would probably lead me to buy a PS4 if they made another one. Hell I think it even beats out the last of us in my book.

Another set of exclusives which I really need to play through is Killzone and Resistance have them all but have hardly played them. Never managed to get through the first Killzone. Story just didn't click with me and the combat felt boring/generic. Resistance on the other hand kept me going through the first game and I though the second game looked amazing however I lost interest a few levels in and moved on to something else.

One thing that does bug the hell out of me though is the tiny text some games use. I'm starting to remember why my original PS3 moved upstairs. I can hardly make out the words on some games such as Infamous 2 and Final Fantasy XIII-2 because they made the text so freaking small that my old Sony Trinitron blurs the letters together :P.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:08 am

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Xeogred wrote:8. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

Man, now I want to go out and play this before Tropical Freeze comes out. Money's a bit tight for me though and I'd have to put off Tropical Freeze until next month! I don't know what to do! :lol:

Tropical Freeze is looking absolutely gorgeous though.

Yeah if you can spare $20 for now try to grab this to hold you over for Tropical Freeze. I predict TF being even better, but hot damn this game really caught me off guard and is a must play for any fan I'd say. It feels like a throwback to the original DKC the most, with the music and locations/art direction, which is cool with me since the original is probably my favorite. Gameplay wise it's loaded with all the classic stuff, I never tire of the barrels and mine karts, and then it's definitely got tons of new ideas. I'd go as far to say it's like a lot of us were saying about Super Mario 3D World, there's not a single stage in this game that felt like it was recycling stuff from before. Did I mention it's got 8 worlds too? Tons of levels and just pure brilliance.
:mrgreen:

It's literally kind of hilarious and disturbing to me how good Donkey Kong's fur alone in TF looks haha. Just... everything, the game looks incredible.

But yeah, I think I'll have to be on the defense here and say Returns is a must play, so hopefully fans don't skip right to TF and disregard this one.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:05 pm

1. Hotline Miami (PS3)
2. Boulder Dash XL 3D (3DS)
3. Mirror's Edge (PS3)
4. Orcs & Elves (DS)
5. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
6. Justice League Heroes: The Flash (GBA)
7. Metal Gear (MSX/PS2)
8. Wario Land: Shake It! (Wii)

I loved this game. The hand-drawn backgrounds and sprite work are beautiful. The levels are varied; the boss fights are difficult and exciting; and the game is overflowing with charm. (It was developed by Good-Feel, the team that brought us the sublime Kirby's Epic Yarn, and no matter how many times I heard it, I always smirked when Wario yelled "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!" while shaking a bag of coins or "Rock 'n Roll!" when preparing for a boss fight.)

The game centers on Wario's search for a bottomless coin bag, the procurement of which will save a miniature kingdom from the dreaded Shake King. (I love the fact that Wario - who is a way better character that Nintendo's mascot - is motivated completely by greed, and that he always end up doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.)
I also laughed out loud when, at the conclusion of the game, the princess is moving in to give him a kiss and Wario throws her out of the way so that he can grab the coin bag.
It plays similarly to Wario Land 4 in that Wario progresses leisurely through each level to his goal and then races furiously back to the beginning of the level under a strict time limit. Certain parts of each level are only accessible on the way out, and certain parts are only accessible on the way back. There are three treasures hidden in each level; maps that unlock extremely challenging bonus levels are also hidden throughout the game; and each level has a list of "achievements" - such as collecting a certain number of coins, defeating a level without taking any damage, exiting a level extremely quickly, etc. - that unlock the game's excellent music. (Again, this game was developed by Good Feel, and the music in Wario Land: Shake It! is almost as good as the music in Kirby's Epic Yarn.)

Finally - and most importantly - the game displays incredible design. Anyone, with enough practice, can beat this game. (The last two bosses are pretty intense; so, inexperienced players will definitely need practice.) Collecting all of the hidden treasures and unlocking all of the maps is quite a challenge, however, and I think that completing all of the "achievements" might add 10+ hours to the game. (I am currently unlocking all of the maps and treasures, but I am not sure I am dedicated enough to knock out all of the achievements.)

Again, I adored this game, and although I have not yet played through the aforementioned Donkey Kong Country Returns, it may be favorite 2D platformer on the Wii (which is saying something because that system has some great 2D platformers). I highly recommend this game to anyone, and it is a must-play for anyone who is a fan of the Wario Land series.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:08 pm

Xeogred wrote:11 out of 10 for the Factory World. Blew my face off.

Fucking this, so much. So sad that the majority of people here turned the game off after discovering it requires a minimal amount of waggle, as this world is epic. The entire game is gold.

Absolutely agree that it is a superior platformer to NSMB. I would add in that it is also superior to Galaxy, but this really isn't the thread for that :lol:
Last edited by dunpeal2064 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:18 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:8. Wario Land: Shake It! (Wii)

There are three treasures hidden in each level; maps that unlock extremely challenging bonus levels are also hidden throughout the game; and each level has a list of "achievements" - such as collecting a certain number of coins, defeating a level without taking any damage, exiting a level extremely quickly, etc. - that unlock the game's excellent music. (Again, this game was developed by Good Feel, and the music in Wario Land: Shake It! is almost as good as the music in Kirby's Epic Yarn.)

The best game in the series imo. I always found Wario Land hit and miss personally (detested 2, liked 3, ambivalent towards 4, liked VB Wario, loved Shake Dimension, not played the first one), but this one is gold.

On the subject of the games music, the track from Wreck Train is one of my favourite pieces of game music ever. It's just so damn epic.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:25 pm

alienjesus wrote:The best game in the series imo. I always found Wario Land hit and miss personally (detested 2, liked 3, ambivalent towards 4, liked VB Wario, loved Shake Dimension, not played the first one), but this one is gold.

On the subject of the games music, the track from Wreck Train is one of my favourite pieces of game music ever. It's just so damn epic.

I have been a fan of the series since I played through most of the Wario Land games last summer. Although I still have not played through Virtual Boy Wario Land, I rank them:

1. Wario Land 3 (The gameplay here is so unique and compelling, and it perfects the ideas introduced in Wario Land 2.)

2. Wario Land: Shake It! (This is basically tied for first. I loved everything about it, but it is more of a traditional platformer than Wario Land 3.)

3. Wario Land 2 (This is the game that introduced me to the series. It is like Wario Land 3 Lite.)

4. Wario Land 4 (The graphics were great, and the game was very fun. It was entirely too easy and short, however, and the gameplay was not that compelling.)

5. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Although it is still fun, the design is a bit dated.)
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Return to General Gaming