Games Beaten 2014

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2014

Post by pierrot »

Xeogred wrote:
Luke wrote:Bloodlines still feels like Super Contra with a whip to me. All action, no adventure.

Multiple paths!

... think it had them?

It does, depending on which character you play as. (Although, Contra Hard Corps also has branching paths.)

Playing as Eric is one of my favorite things to do in a Castlevania game. So much sequence breaking.

Xeogred wrote:I sure do love Super CV IV's music and the sound though, might have to replay that one soon.

I've been listening to the soundtrack on its own lately, and it is pretty good. I think it's uninteresting within the game, but it's well composed stuff. Quality is a bajillion times better on youtube than what I get out of my Super Famicom, and I still hate the remix of Bloody Tears, though.

ExedExes wrote:Pierrot, didn't you also not like Earthbound? Dang. I thought Super Castlevania IV was good too. We might have to revoke your SNES card soon :lol:

Yeah—

I've been considering selling my SuFami. >_>
Need to play Seiken Densetsu 2 & 3, and Dragon Quest III & VI, though. I have faith that they will not let me down. (Except in DQ VI. I don't have great faith in that one.)
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

pierrot wrote:I've been considering selling my SuFami. >_>

:shock: I mean, I never pegged you as a Ninty fan, but of the 121 SNES/SFC games I sent you, only a three/four grab your attention?
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
pierrot wrote:I've been considering selling my SuFami. >_>

:shock: I mean, I never pegged you as a Ninty fan, but of the 121 SNES/SFC games I sent you, only a three/four grab your attention?

:lol: I'm just being overly melodramatic. There are a substantial number of games that interest me for the console, and I have quite a few of them. I was just expecting to like Earthbound and Super CV IV much more than I did. I should probably try to find an SNES to GEN controller converter so I can use a six-button pad. I feel like that would enhance my experience.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I feel you on Earthbound. There are actually quite a few SNES games that are highly lauded that I care for not a whit, chiefly Earthbound, Harvest Moon, Yoshi's Island, and, until recently, Super Mario RPG, which I changed from "painful" to "I get it, but I still don't like it."

I do like SCIV, though, especially the music and atmosphere, even in-game.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

o.pwuaioc wrote:...Until recently, Super Mario RPG, which I changed from "painful" to "I get it, but I still don't like it."

:lol: I'm less inspired to play that one now.

o.pwuaioc wrote:I do like SCIV, though, especially the music and atmosphere, even in-game.

I "liked" it, I just didn't like it anywhere near as much as every other game I've played in the series. I expect certain things from classicvania, that IV just did not deliver on for me.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Damn I love Super Mario RPG. The Mario & Luigi games don't even come close to comparing to it in my opinion.

AS for SCIV, for whatever reason I always compare it to Super Ghouls n' Ghosts and vice versa thesedays, which I personally think is a lot better. SCIV has great atmosphere, but Super Ghouls is just dreadfully intense and evil. But there's like 20 years of nostalgia and history there with me haha... SCIV was one I didn't get around to until a couple of years ago or something finally. If I remember right it was pretty easy all around, but had one of the better Death battles.

Circle of the Moon is the one CV I feel that doesn't get enough love. I loved the vibe to that one, felt a bit darker I guess, and it's like the only Metroidvania styled CV that has a more unique look. After that, it all just looks pretty much exactly like SoTN and re-used sprites everywhere. I'll also never forget CotM's final boss, I always clear these games out and usually get everything, level up a lot, etc, but wow the final boss in CotM was still taking me out in 2 hits or something. Definitely felt badass once I finally finished it.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Blood II: The Nightmare Levels (PC)(FPS)
2. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
3. Clive Barker's Undying (PC)(FPS)
4. Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs. Death (PC)(FPS)

I did another run through Metal Slug on Thursday. I figure I'll play through it quite a few times this year, so I'll go ahead and mark it, despite it having been the last game I beat in 2013. I love Metal Slug. Also, I managed to use one less continue this time, though I still made several terrible mistakes in places where I know I can do better. Meh, I'll keep practicing.

Now, Clive Barker's Undying...I admit, I liked it. It took a little getting used to for me, mainly because I think this game would work even better as an adventure game a la Penumbra than as an FPS, but I still enjoyed the experience quite a bit. There's a lot of fun to be had running around with the haste spell active as I hack apart howlers and plant monsters with a scythe. I also give the game credit for not relying on jump scares and instead focusing on maintaining a constant sense of dread. I think it would have worked better if the game hadn't given me so much ammunition and health packs(I had over 100 when I beat the game), but its mechanics are clunky enough to keep things from being too easy. And the boss fights are quite complex but very rewarding, with the exception of the final boss, which was a bit of a letdown. Eh, it's still a fun game, and I liked it a lot. If you like horror FPS games, I'd suggest checking it out.

And then there is Judge Dredd. This one is a mixed bag. It's got a great arcade mode, some fun multiplayer, unlockable cheats, absolutely amazing music, and yet just feels goofy and trite. As Judge Dredd, I'm taking on...zombies. And "vampires." And some really goofy bosses and character models. The game feels goofy like the Sylvester Stallone film. And Dredd doesn't feel like he can take a punch, though he can certainly dish out the pain. It's a lot of fun to walk into a room, shoot a guy in the face, and watch everyone else give up. But there's not enough of that kind of gameplay. Instead, you end up fighting zombies at the mall. Thankfully, the campaign is quite short, and the arcade mode has much more replayability. Unfortunately, the different game styles in the arcade mode have to be unlocked by beating the storyline.

o.pwuaioc wrote:I feel you on Earthbound. There are actually quite a few SNES games that are highly lauded that I care for not a whit, chiefly Earthbound, Harvest Moon, Yoshi's Island, and, until recently, Super Mario RPG, which I changed from "painful" to "I get it, but I still don't like it."

I do like SCIV, though, especially the music and atmosphere, even in-game.

I also don't care for Yoshi's Island, so no shame there. I did enjoy Super Castlevania IV, but to each their own. I need to get around to getting a copy of Dracula X to compare the two.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Xeogred wrote:AS for SCIV, for whatever reason I always compare it to Super Ghouls n' Ghosts and vice versa thesedays, which I personally think is a lot better. SCIV has great atmosphere, but Super Ghouls is just dreadfully intense and evil. But there's like 20 years of nostalgia and history there with me haha... SCIV was one I didn't get around to until a couple of years ago or something finally. If I remember right it was pretty easy all around, but had one of the better Death battles.

Whoa, I'm the opposite. I also grew up on Ghouls and Ghosts for the Genesis, which is infinitely better than Super Ghouls N Ghosts. But they don't feel the same for me. Castlevania I lump with Metroid: haunting. Ghouls N Ghosts is spooky, but cartoony enough to be fun. It shares a look and feeling with 8bit Mega Man or, even closer, Metal Slug.

OK, don't want to take up any more of this thread. Back to your regularly scheduled viewing, folks!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Xeogred wrote:Damn I love Super Mario RPG. The Mario & Luigi games don't even come close to comparing to it in my opinion.

I personally consider Super Mario RPG to be up there with FF7 for my 'most overrated game' award. I don't think it even comes close to the Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi series, or in fact many of its contemporary RPGs of the time.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Yoshi's Island & Super Mario RPG hate now too? Happy new year to me, I guess.

Ack wrote:And then there is Judge Dredd. This one is a mixed bag. It's got a great arcade mode, some fun multiplayer, unlockable cheats, absolutely amazing music, and yet just feels goofy and trite. As Judge Dredd, I'm taking on...zombies. And "vampires." And some really goofy bosses and character models. The game feels goofy like the Sylvester Stallone film. And Dredd doesn't feel like he can take a punch, though he can certainly dish out the pain. It's a lot of fun to walk into a room, shoot a guy in the face, and watch everyone else give up. But there's not enough of that kind of gameplay. Instead, you end up fighting zombies at the mall. Thankfully, the campaign is quite short, and the arcade mode has much more replayability. Unfortunately, the different game styles in the arcade mode have to be unlocked by beating the storyline.

I see this is also on the Gamecube. I desperately need more FPS on here. So is it worth a pickup at around $10-$15 which is the price trend now?
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.