Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What Were the Top 10 Games You Played This Year?

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Beyond Oasis isn't that expensive. You can probably find it for around $10-$12. It's also on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

Both games have an amount of text comparable to LttP I suppose.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:44 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
pierrot wrote:6 - Shin Souseiki Ragnacenty (Mega Drive)

—Or: Crusader of Centy. I'm sure it won't be a popular opinion, but I enjoyed this game more than any of the 2D Zeldas (or 3D, for that matter) even with the weird glitch I was having with the game on my JP Mega Drive where it would freeze after 30 minutes or so, in RGB, and even lost my save once or twice.

Interesting - I've had freezing issues with my (North American) copy too. I wonder if it's a common bug...

Oh! I had tried looking for bug reports when I was having that issue and came up empty. It seemed like my Mega Drive was running hotter than normal with Ragnacenty with an RGB lead, so I thought it might have been overheating. (There are a lot of crazy effects in the game after all.) After I finished the game, I was trying it in my Wondermega (which runs hot normally) in s-video, without any issue after an hour and a half of playing. It was consistently having trouble between 30 minutes and an hour on my Mega Drive, though. I couldn't recreate it with an emulator either. It's peculiar that your US copy has the same (similar) issue. Were you playing it in a model 1?

With mine, it would always start with graphical glitches first, where certain background tiles would pop up where they weren't supposed to. (eg. patches of grass would show up in areas with only dirt, etc.)

o.pwuaioc wrote:How much text is in Hikari o Tsugu Mono and Shin Souseiki Ragnacenty? The high prices for English versions have so far kept me away. Is knowing Japanese for these essential?

There's not a great deal of text in either, but some of it does explain objectives. It's usually not that important to progression, though. There are some spots in Ragnacenty with explicit instruction for some puzzles that could be a stumbling block.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:43 pm

pierrot wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:How much text is in Hikari o Tsugu Mono and Shin Souseiki Ragnacenty? The high prices for English versions have so far kept me away. Is knowing Japanese for these essential?

There's not a great deal of text in either, but some of it does explain objectives. It's usually not that important to progression, though. There are some spots in Ragnacenty with explicit instruction for some puzzles that could be a stumbling block.

Are these places where it will be obvious that I would need to read what's said, when I could therefore then check a walkthrough? Or would even that not be clear?

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Beyond Oasis isn't that expensive. You can probably find it for around $10-$12. It's also on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

Both games have an amount of text comparable to LttP I suppose.

You're right, I was really thinking of Crusader of Centy.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Yeah, that game has jacked up in price recently. I got it for a decent deal here on racket not too long ago. Then the price was 100-120, but now Ive seen it over 200. :shock:
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Yeah, that game has jacked up in price recently. I got it for a decent deal here on racket not too long ago. Then the price was 100-120, but now Ive seen it around and over 175-200. :shock:
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:12 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Are these places where it will be obvious that I would need to read what's said, when I could therefore then check a walkthrough? Or would even that not be clear?

The one that I'm thinking of specifically would be, yeah. There's another little village early on that could be an issue. Otherwise, I think it should be manageable. It's worth a try anyway. The Japanese version isn't especially common either. it's just not all that expensive. It took me a while to find a complete copy for a price I liked, which ended up being $8, but it's certainly worth spending a little more.

There's also the PAL MegaDrive version. (Soleil.) It's not dirt cheap but it seems to be relatively reasonable. (About $22~50 depending on completeness.) I hear that some prefer the translation in the PAL version; for what reason, I'm not sure. It appears they're different, though.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:21 pm

pierrot wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:Are these places where it will be obvious that I would need to read what's said, when I could therefore then check a walkthrough? Or would even that not be clear?

The one that I'm thinking of specifically would be, yeah. There's another little village early on that could be an issue. Otherwise, I think it should be manageable. It's worth a try anyway. The Japanese version isn't especially common either. it's just not all that expensive. It took me a while to find a complete copy for a price I liked, which ended up being $8, but it's certainly worth spending a little more.

There's also the PAL MegaDrive version. (Soleil.) It's not dirt cheap but it seems to be relatively reasonable. (About $22~50 depending on completeness.) I hear that some prefer the translation in the PAL version; for what reason, I'm not sure. It appears they're different, though.

Well, with no PAL Mega Drive, I don't suppose it's possible for it to play on my NTSC system. So I'll go Japanese instead. Thanks!
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:32 am

This is just out of the ones I've beaten so it's not quite correct..

Best:
Typing of the Dead, The - 8+
Land of Illusion (SMS) - 8+
Thunder Force IV (MD) - 8+
Fantasy Zone II DX (ARC) - 8
Age of Empires II - 8
Warcraft II (PC) - 8
Warcraft III - 8
Secret of Evermore (Balance Patch) - 8-
Dungeon Keeper - 8
R-Type (SMS) - 8
Alex Kidd in Miracle World - 8
Mega Turrican - 8
Thunder Force III (SAT) - 8-
Ghouls 'n Ghosts (MD) - 8
DKC (SNES) - 8
FF9 - 8-
Mr. Gimmick - 7+
Fault Line - 7+
Limbo - 7
Samorost 2 - 7
Sonic the Hedgehog (MD, "Score Attack") - 7+
Diablo (PC, SP) - 7+
Bio-Hazard Battle (2P) - 7+
Purikura Daisakusen (SAT, 2P) - 7+
Streets of Rage Remake (SoR 1 Path, 2P) - 7+
Suikoden - 7

Worst:
Wonder Project J - 6
Project S-11 - 6
Cadash (ARC) - 6
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES, Romhack) - 5-
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle - 6-
Altered Beast (ARC, 1P) - 5
Sonic Adventure (DC) - 6-
Cry$tal Warrior Ke$ha - 3
Cyberqueen - 5
Adventures of Batman and Robin, The (MD, 1P) - 6
Dune 2000 - 6
Lion King, The (SNES) - 6+
DKC3 (SNES) - 6+
Psycho Dream - 5
Super Smash TV (SNES, 1P) - 6+
Atomic Runner/Chelnov (MD) - 6
Shadowrun (SNES) - 6+
The Day the Laughter Stopped - 3

Gave up on:
Willow (NES) - 6-
Battle of Olympus (NES) - ~6
Resident Evil 2 - ~6
Dreamweb - ~6
Psychic World (SMS) - ~6
Diablo II (Played up until LoD) - ~6
Actraiser - 7/5
TMNT II (NES, 1P) - ~6
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:07 pm

alienjesus wrote:5. To The Moon - Probably one of the more surprising entries on my list, I wasn't expecting much from this. Whilst I've enjoyed a few indie games over the years, they always lack a certain polish or seem a little unfinished or rough and they never quite live up to the hype for me. To the moon, whilst certainly not perfect, is a game that really did, because it's story was intriguing, it's characters lovable and it's concept interesting. The 'gameplay' here is incredibly basic, but what it manages to do with it's story in it's 3-5 hours of time is wonderful.

+1

pierrot wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:Final Fantasy XIII (360) - Yeah, I like this game. The combat system was great (once it got out of tutorial mode), and actually provided some challenging fights, a rarity amongst FF games. The characters here, while in mixed quality, all had a purpose, a reason to be on the journey, and they all helped each other grow, another rarity for a FF game. Its linearity is its only flaw imo, and is something I can easily look past.

I don't really feel it's even a "flaw." It's just different from how the FF series, and a lot of other RPGs marketed themselves on the original Playstation. FFX caught a lot of flack for being "linear" around the time of its release, and now it's nearly as popular as VII. I agree with you. I really like the game, and I feel like a lot of people don't even make it to the point where it opens up and—at least in my opinion—blows most games in the FF series out of the water, from a purely game play perspective.

----------------

I didn't mind the linearity, because I was having too much fun learning the ins and outs of combat and trying to get five star ranks. I used to consider Grandia as having my favorite jrpg combat system of all time, but FF XIII introduced me to a combat system that is pretty much on par with it. It has some of the same strengths as Grandia's system, making party members work together and learning how to stop or counter enemy attacks. Both games have a certain "rhythm" to them. I love it and can't get enough of it. I look forward to Lightning Returns. I rag on FF X 2 a lot for various reasons, but you could see the beginnings of FF XIII's combat system in that game. One thing I thought was interesting about FF XIII as well was Sasz. He brought a little diversity to the usual, fair skinned, anime character cast you expect to see in an FF game and he wasn't exactly a black stereotype either, which a certain someone from FF 7 arguably was.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

by Violent By Design Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:17 am

Some games on this list I've played before, but the familiarity wore off to where it was a relatively new or refreshing experience.

10) Sonic Pocket Adventure - It was either this or Shining Force II, but I'm making a last minute switch for the Neo Geo Pocket Color's premier game. This game was really fun, it captures the speed of Sonic 2 perfectly.

The first 2 stages are like the exact same thing as Sonic 2, but from what I remember it starts to change a bit after that. Fighting Knuckles was a pretty kick ass moment too. Anyway, just a very pure platforming experience, and the art design was a real joy to watch. Shame Neo Geo Pocket didn't pan out, because it had a lot of potential.

The game is really really short, difficulty is pretty easy because you can save, and it doesn't feel like that original of an experience since you'll recognize the stages.

I think this is probably one of the best Sonics, I'd only put Sonic 2 and Generations over it. I've played or dabbled with most of the Sonics except Sonic & K and The Lost World.

9) Snatcher - This was an awesomely crafted game. Kojima could have been hell of a movie director if he had ever broken into that business.

This game is really ahead of its time. Voice acting is really top notch. The graphics are wonderful, great use of colors and detail thanks to the Sega CD.

For a game that is so short, it does a great job at establishing connections with the other supporting cast. When something dramatic happens, you really feel it.

Gibson, the main character is one of the best video game characters ever. Really feels like a real person. He's so charismatic, he really represents what makes Snatcher special - Snatcher can be sad, campy, mysterious, scary and funny at any given moment, and it doesn't ruin the flow of the game.

The only bad thing about Snatcher is the actual decision tree is done very poorly. You are given a list of options, and you can/should just pick them all in order to advance. You do not really make a choice in anything, and you don't really feel like a detective either, which is isn't a good thing considering the protagonist is one.

8 ) Lunar: Silverstar Story Complete: The PSX remake of the Sega CD classic is everything you would want from an RPG of that era.

The PSX really shines here, the towns are huge, yet still all sprite based, given it a fairly unique feeling. Just the way your character moves feels good (your characters can even move diagonally, Pokemon only just started doing that :lol: ). There's a ton of dialogue, and some good humor thrown in there too, though at times a bit too immature.

The writing isn't my cup of tea, but it's no weaker than most JRPGs from that era. The battle system is good at first, if your character is too far from the enemy, it will waste a turn trying to get to them - which causes you to be tactical at first. However, as the game progresses, all of your characters get so strong that they can move across the battlefield in one turn and still attack.

I actually think the anime cut scenes took away from the game. The game would have been better as a pure sprite based adventure. There are so many bloody anime cut scenes that are only like 5 seconds long, it really just ruins the rhythm of the game. Not to mention the voice acting is ridiculously corny, as was most dubbed voice acting in anime back then.

A great game none the less, anyone who likes SNES/PSX rpgs would like this game.

7) Pokemon Pinball - Ruby and Sapphire - This was the first Pinball video game I ever learned. It was pretty awesome actually learning the techniques behind controlling a pinball.

The table for Pokemon pinball is set up very well, and gives a player a lot of options in terms of what they want to focus on. As a noob to the genre, it was a great experience though I only played the Ruby table for the most part.

If you're good enough, you can capture pokemon at will, evolve your pokemon when ever you want, get your pokeball to a masterball or switch levels to find new pokemon. The boss battles are pretty nice too, though the big red lava dude (forgot his name, hes on the cover of Pokemon Red though) is cheesy as hell, but very rewarding to actually beat him.

6)Contra - During the summer I used to just turn this game on and see how far I can go on one life, wouldn't even bother using my continues. I went really far before I stopped playing, but I had a lot of fun and I likely could have beaten the game if I sat down for an hour or two.

The controls are pretty timeless, though the game is a lot slower paced than I remembered. You kinda have to map out your actions and think ahead of time, it's not really about reflex which I think a lot of people get caught up in. I think I like Contra 3 more, but this game was a real good challenge, and its very satisfying when ever you clear a level without getting hit.

5)Civilization V: A Brave New World - This is what vanilla Civ should have been. Civ V keeps some of the good changes from Gods and Kings like Religion, but adds a lot more. They really did a good job of adding mechanics that gives civs major reasons to explore.

Culture+Tourism is interesting since now you can attack countries by making people want to come to your country.

Countries are now influenced by other nations political ideologies such as communism and what not, giving global pressures to convert.

At a certain point in the world, you can go on a hunt for artifacts all over the world to put in your museum, artifact hunts can get so tight it can even start wars.

The new Civs are all kick ass, great abilities that add unique gameplay, albeit they are quite a bit stronger than the vanilla civs.

Only bad part is it is easy to win via Diplomacy. You can buy out all the City States so they vote for you in the UN for an easy win. Though the UN itself is awesome outside of that. You can vote to host the Olympics, universally raise science and what not, embargo trades to hurt other opponents. Outside of an easy Diplomatic win, the UN is a true joy, and probably really fun to play in multiplayer.

4) Super Mario Galaxy 2 - This was the last game I played when I started catching up on my Wii games (then the summer challenge derailed that journey).

This was a lot like Galaxy 1, except the levels are a lot better designed. Galaxy 1 was a decent game, but Galaxy 2 really is a far superior version of it. Galaxy 2 is short and sweet, and you never feel like you're doing the same type of stage too often like you did in Galaxy 1. Also, Galaxy 1 I thought the small planets were very frustrating to navigate through where Galaxy 2 had less of that. There was also less crappy Rosaline story stuff in galaxy 2.

Probably the biggest short coming in Galaxy 2 was the Bowser boss battles were all the same.

3) Dota 2 - I got my internet working properly in the fall, which meant I could finally dive a bit into this game. Truth be told, I still haven't gotten enough of this game where I feel really comfortable playing it. But I still like everything I've learned about it.

It's a lot like League of Legends, but a lot more aggressive. Less emphasis on farming, and more on playmaking. The heroes have some really cool abilities as well, it's easy to see what hero is good at what, but the depth for some of them is pretty high compared to LoL. Might see this game on my 2014 list, since I'm still not satisfied with my knowledge of it.

2) Super Mario Bros 3 - I've played this a bit before, but never got very far. I decided to play this on super Mario All-Stars, and I totally got engrossed in this game.

The stage design is really jaw dropping. Going to stages like the big world was just such a pleasure. I don't really like SMW that much because I felt like it tried to focus too much on style over substance - where SMB3 feels like a much more natural successor to SMB (which I absolutely love).

The difficulty in SMB3 is really nice too, I still haven't beaten it.

The items are probably the biggest thing that separates this from the other Mario games. I actually did have to think about what items I wanted to use when going into certain worlds. It was a nice element, and the variety in powers was very refreshing.

1)Portal - I replayed this game on Jan 1st of last year. The puzzles was just as good as I remembered, but the dialogue really hit me this time. I never finished the Glados fight when I first played, so I finally got to hear the credits, and it was the best ending ever.

Portal is shot and sweet. The puzzles are intuitive and unique. The plot isn't convoluted, very straight forward, but the drama properly escalates. Glados is a fantastic character, backed by a great script with plenty of memorable lines. Really just a masterpiece.
Return to General Gaming