Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution/Director's Cut

by optmusprimenumber Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Nice. The Wii U gamepad action does sound primo. That's the exact sort of thing I figure should be done with a touch screen like that. And being able to mark the map is something I often find myself wishing for on the 360. Not about to pick up a Wii U just yet, though I'm fairly certain I'll be getting one eventually. And Deus Ex for it when I do.

I'm playing on the Deus Ex difficulty for my first time as well. So far I can't complain. After all the stealth gaming I've done, a bigger challenge is welcome.

Also, I hate the object highlight.. things lit up in orange (doors?!) kind of annoys me and takes away the searching I love to do in these games.. you guys into it?

And this :lol: this is a must see.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOZ9bfcXhk
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:54 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I'm replaying it on Wii U on Deus Ex difficulty and I have some thoughts.

1. I really should have played it on this difficulty in the first place. Fantastically challenging. A bit fustrating sometimes since load times are pretty long when loading a check point. Careful planning is made easier now though on the Wii U.

2. The game uses the gamepad so well that you could almost swear it was built for the Wii U in the first place. Hacking on the gamepad is awesome. Leaving notes on the map is awesome. Inventory management is easy thanks to actually having a proper pointing device. It's great.

3. The game is beautiful. I appreciate they removed the orange filter. The game is still very orange, but, it looks natural now. Has lots of anti-aliasing and the contrast introduced by the removal of the filter is very appreciated. I remember getting quite a lot of headaches playing it in original form trying to distinguish things. I haven't had that issue here. Runs well and is very clearly a step up from the other console versions.

4. Haven't noticed improved AI at all really in combat. They don't seem to know where you are by some sort of magic anymore so that's definitely better. The search patterns maybe see a bit more natural when you run off and hide.

5. Things seem to be placed better. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems like item placement is better but it has been a while. Th

1. I really should have started on Deus Ex difficulty as well. It's been too easy so far, haha. With the improvements made on this version and just having played it before (being a lot smarter with my aug upgrading early on).

2. I do wish there was a text option though for the map editing. I'll try to write stuff, but then it looks terrible... then back in game, it's usually upside down and doesn't match with the fixed map in the main menu lol.

3. I still think I prefer the filter. When I got to China in this version, it just doesn't feel quite the same. The game is still gorgeous and neonesque, but it felt like I was drowning during China in the original, which I always love about cyberpunk. But that said I think some stuff definitely looks better and stands out more in this style, like the character models, and the game does seem smoother.

4. Same here. Maybe the patterns were shortened, I remember not always having the patience to wait for guards to move, which hasn't been an issue this time around so maybe they changed that.

5. Maybe it's the lack of the filter, but I actually agree here. I guess it could also be that I played this first on a 32' and now I'm playing this version on a 40', but it seems really easy to spot any kind of item you can pickup. Not that I had a problem before, but I'm sure I missed some stuff, and it's just easier to see here.

@optmusprimenumber: You should be able to turn off the orange border glows on objects. Personally I think it's fine, "his vision is augmented" haha, and well again maybe it's because the orange filter is gone now but it doesn't seem very invasive this time around. Like you have to be pretty close to doors, or walls, etc, to see the glow this time... I feel like it was different before?

Only issue with the gamepad I've noticed for FPS styled games, is you have to be careful when putting it down. Setting it on a bed or something, it's easy for those triggers to get hit... accidentally opened fire a few times in horrible places, like once when I got right in the Hive haha. Luckily I save a lot on games like these.

I'm loving the stun rod a lot this time around. I think the first time I played it I kept the sniper or tranquilizer, which takes up tons of inventory space... and barely even used them. I'm never much of a stealth guy, but I love it in this and prefer to get pretty up close and personal. Maybe I should try to play without takedowns sometime too though, they do make it hilariously easy... haha, hopefully those don't break the new Thief game.

I also love how you can't deal with cameras outside of hacking consoles nearby. Otherwise you can't multitool them like the other games, and shooting them sets the alarm off (I think in System Shock 2 you could shoot cameras and nothing happens, it feels pretty cheap lol).
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 pm

I could definitely see China not feeling nearly as oppressive and polluted as it was in the original version. As it stands I'm only a few hours into this version currently. Trying to go for a no-kill playthrough. Should be interesting.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:05 pm

Yeah, I still standby with what I said earlier and would say this just looks almost too much like Mass Effect now haha. China almost looked a little more space-shipy now. You can actually see some of the sky peaking through some of the buildings, I don't think I even noticed that the first time I played it with all the neon lights beaming down.

Either way I am having fun going through it with a different look but it's interesting they didn't make it an option or something.

I'll never understand the point of lethal takedowns? You get 20 LESS exp and it's not like they ever really get up when you do non-lethal either. Unless you just try to really sneak by only taking out a few people, but I always clear the places out one by one.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:11 am

Xeogred wrote:@optmusprimenumber: You should be able to turn off the orange border glows on objects...

I turned it off immediately lol

Xeogred wrote:I also love how you can't deal with cameras outside of hacking consoles nearby. Otherwise you can't multitool them like the other games, and shooting them sets the alarm off (I think in System Shock 2 you could shoot cameras and nothing happens, it feels pretty cheap lol).

You can hit them (and lasers) with the Stun Gun to temporarily disable them. Pretty handy sometimes.

Xeogred wrote:I'll never understand the point of lethal takedowns? You get 20 LESS exp and it's not like they ever really get up when you do non-lethal either. Unless you just try to really sneak by only taking out a few people, but I always clear the places out one by one.

Unconscious enemies can be woken up by conscious enemies. Perhaps you were implying that though with the "Unless..." part. But otherwise, sometimes I guess you gotta cut someone to shreds with arm blades, or something.. And yeah, clearing out all hostiles is fun - more points and more freedom.

I forget who asked, but the Double Barrel shotgun wasn't in the original. There's always been a weapon mod for the shotgun though that enables you to fire off two shells at once.

And I'm gonna have to play with both versions back to back, cuz I'm not really noticing the lack of gold-ness...
Last edited by optmusprimenumber on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:14 am

I wondered about the stun gun and that.

I wonder if the other new weapons take up less inventory space like that shotgun does?
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:18 am

I believe the silenced sniper rifle is the same size as the standard one. The C4 takes up 2 blocks and only stacks 2 deep. The Automatic Unlocking Devices stack 5 deep and take up one space.

..oh, but if you got to China you probably know that much. haha
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:30 am

I haven't seen any of those haha, unless I've missed them. Maybe I did pass up the silenced sniper rifle though, not sure.

"Automatic Unlocking Devices"

Ha! Okay yeah these, I had a feeling they weren't in the original. Was a lot easier to get around Detroit early on without having to level up hacking too much.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:36 am

I just left for Highland Park and I've found two of the silenced sniper rifles so far.. one on a body on the roof of the first real mission through Sarif Manufacturing, and the other in a storage locker in Detroit. I played around with them, but killing is such messy business. I'm sure I'll play with it more on my new game+ when I get there.

I carry the AUD's but I hack everything I can for EXP, thus tend to favor leveling up my capturing and hacking stealth skills early on. Not fully, but formidably.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:59 am

I'm not gonna lie, I don't know if I even knew about fortify when I first played this. I maxed out all hacking stuff, but seriously don't know if I ever even did that haha.
Return to General Gaming