Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: SNES and Genesis Port Comparison

by pook99 Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:04 pm

Controller aside fighting games were almost always better on the snes, with the original mortal kombat being an exception. Besides the blood, the genesis port just plays a lot smoother .

Pit fighter was also better on genesis but was such a bad game on both systems it doesnt really matter

All versions of street fighter were better on SNES, as was mortal kombat 2, Tmnt tournament fighter, and the snk ports. The snes tended to have much better graphics and sound and since these games only had 2 characters on screen you wouldn't get slowdown that may give genesis ports an edge in some other genres like schmups for example
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 am

No mention of Samurai Shodown? For shame.
It rocks on Sega CD and Genesis IMHO. The SNES port was passable, but lacked the sprite size and impact needed for that game. No joke, it was one of the reasons I got a Genesis even in the late 90's.

Also, Fatal Fury 2 is more playable on Genesis for simplified controls (even if it is less true to arcade; most desparation moves only needed 1 button press in Genesis instead of 2...it makes a huge difference for me).

@Anapan
Great, one of the few Sega CD games (of interest) that I passed on because I could always get a cart version!
Very interesting to hear that it plays better though.
Still, I'm not dropping $30+ for the game. Maybe I can get someone to trade for it.
Last edited by nightrnr on Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...just another lost soul...
SajiNoYoNi

by SajiNoYoNi Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:11 am

I felt like the Genesis ports of SF2 suffered mostly from the fact that they weren't able to use as many colors as the SNES, weren't able to process audio at the same sampling rate, and also were hurt by Capcom's desire to stay in Nintendo's good graces (until the N64 happened and it became profitable to ditch Nintendo after Squaresoft led the charge with FF7).

And I'm new. Hello! See my introduction post for a primer on moi.

You guys don't have a discord?
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:22 am

Console Wars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75PX1jFqZm4

Don't think they were mentioned before, channel is all about SNES vs MD.
Last edited by PresidentLeever on Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
marurun

by marurun Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:09 am

SajiNoYoNi wrote:You guys don't have a discord?

We have a Slack with a Discord bridge.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52711#p1144992

Also, best 16-bit Fatal Fury 2/Special is on PC Engine Arcade CD.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:13 pm

@sajiyonoji: I agree, the genesis version of street fighter 2 just sounded awful in comparison to the snes version which really lowered the appeal for me.

nightrnr wrote:No mention of Samurai Shodown? For shame.
It rocks on Sega CD and Genesis IMHO. The SNES port was passable, but lacked the sprite size and impact needed for that game. No joke, it was one of the reasons I got a Genesis even in the late 90's.

Also, Fatal Fury 2 is more playable on Genesis for simplified controls (even if it is less true to arcade; most desparation moves only needed 1 button press in Genesis instead of 2...it makes a huge difference for me).

@Anapan
Great, one of the few Sega CD games (of interest) that I passed on because I could always get a cart version!
Very interesting to hear that it plays better though.
Still, I'm not dropping $30+ for the game. Maybe I can get someone to trade it for my extra copy of Rebel Assault.

I never played the 16 bit versions of samurai showdown, I wasn't a huge fan of that game and usually just playing it in the arcades was enough for me, I will check them out at some point though.

I also never played the home port of fatal fury 2, I had a neo geo as a kid and owned fatal fury special on it so there was no reason to play any of the 16 bit versions.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:44 pm

Samurai Shodown in Sega CD, definitely has its limitations (and load times), but I always liked it. And play control is great, of course. I'm a huge fan of the game (and series).

If you did have a Neo Geo, then I agree; there was little reason to get the 16-bit versions (especially of Samurai Showdown, as it has the scaling). But I was so poor even a Genesis was out of my reach until I was old enough to have a real job. My Sega CD I found for $20 back when it was phasing out.

Fatal Fury is almost debatable, but then I'm near hopeless with an arcade stick (and the neo geo pad isn't much better for me). There's no denying Fatal Fury 2/Special look AMAZING on Neo Geo (and real arcade ports, like the PS2 collection).

These days I have converters for Saturn controllers (which mostly work), even on Neo Geo.
Give me Sega or give me... well, I'll just die a lot okay?
...just another lost soul...
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:06 am

The original fatal fury games were a little off control wise so don't feel bad if they are not clicking for you. The series really kicked it up with the real bout series which was only on import saturn but they looked and played amazingly well. I am definitely not a sega guy but the saturn controller is something special, IMO it is the best non analog controller ever made
opa
64-bit

by opa Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:50 pm

Is it just me or is NHL 95 better on the Super Nintendo? More face buttons, better music, and the graphics seem a bit smoother.
I'm gonna give the Genesis version a little more playtime but I think I prefer the SNES version.
Return to General Gaming