Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

by CFFJR Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:49 am

AppleQueso wrote:
CFFJR wrote:You're both wrong. Its not purple, its fucking indigo.

Gawd.

I wish we'd gotten spice orange in the US.

Yeah me too. Its pretty slick.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:21 am

Nintendork666 wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of Doom 3 Collector's Edition (with all 3 Doom games on it), Half Life 2, and Deus Ex: Invisible War. Probably Stranger's Wrath too had I ever played it.

There's unpopular opinnions, and then there's downright trolling. Stranger's Wrath is a good game though, try that one out.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Retrodude
128-bit

by Retrodude Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:03 am

Nintendork666 wrote:I don't understand the point of Let's Play videos aside from using it as a video-FAQ to overcome an obstacle, or getting a brief glimpse of some gameplay.

I like watching blind Let's Plays of games like The Goonies 2, Milon's Secret Castle or Castlevania 2 to see how kids today respond to how cryptic those games were. I think it's fun to listen to someone's thought process as they figure stuff out. It only works with live commentary, though. Post commentary sort of defeats the purpose.
I'm not a glitch, I just have pixlexia.

Raiiban wrote:That's a moral dilemma. Capitalism has no morals.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:27 am

Menegrothx wrote:Care to elaborate? I know that Half Life 2 is kind of overrated, but I don't see a problem in it's pacing.

It's hard to explain but the vehicle sections are a great example since they were so long and such a poor fit in the general game that it hurt me.

Menegrothx wrote:I don't see why you should attack such a great and (relatively) underrated RPG, even if it's flawed.

It deserved a middling review as much as any other middling game, it's not that I go out of my way to pick on cult games or anything hahaha.

Mechanically its a mess because the combat system is terrible, with enemies never missing a shot, half of the abilities being practically useless and there are parts where you are invisible to the enemies if you crouch. They just stand there saying "WHO'S THERE, WHO'S THERE" and bumping into you, never firing a shot.

The writing is good, though.

By the way, the main theme of Vampire: The Masquerade is that you roleplay a monster that feeds on the living to prolong their unnatural life. You try to pass as a human, but you are not and the more you deluge into your monster side the harder it is to mantain your mask.

Murder in the RPG makes your humanity drop to 3. And justifying it by saying "he was a terrible person" only makes you more of a monster. So the killing of 500 or more enemies in a game about not killing people is a bit...incoherent :lol:

I still think most opinions in this thread make perfect sense or aren't that weird. Is it because I'm so controversial or because we aren't? :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:28 am

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:We haven't "outgrown" drifting. Ridge Racer is just too hard for people who write game reviews

Oooh, true and nasty! :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
irixith
Next-Gen

by irixith Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 am

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:Emulators are often better than the real thing.

Oooooh, likely unpopular on a retro game forum, but I totally agree with you.
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:59 am

irixith wrote:
Valkyrie-Favor wrote:Emulators are often better than the real thing.

Oooooh, likely unpopular on a retro game forum, but I totally agree with you.

i agree with this, too.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
marurun

by marurun Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 am

Now that so many have weighed in, I think my unpopular opinions may prove relatively popular...

I enjoyed FF VI/III... for a few hours, then I hated it. Materia allow anyone to cast any spell, and the unique abilities aren't, by and large, interesting enough to separate characters from each other.

I hated Final Fantasy VII. I couldn't get into it at all. The characters were all stock and everything was WAY too emo.

The entire Final Fantasy universe after the NES entries has a problem with enemy design and organics. WTF is a GreaseMonk? Why does it roam the plains? Why does it throw little wrenches at me? What the hell? How can I take this game seriously?

I used to love JRPGs, but Japanese pseudo-philosophy has ruined most of the ones I've played in the past 15 years. I think Japanese philosophy and religion is just fine, but when anime and video game creators and authors get their hands on the stuff, they just muck it up. They make a big deal about some minor point that is intuitively obvious to anyone with half a brain. It is just like NGE. They show you the "tip of the iceberg" and shine bright spotlights on it so that you imagine what might be lurking under the water. The big reveal is that that iceberg tip is floating in a little inflatable life raft and that there's nothing under the water at all. It is all smoke and mirrors and "look at all the deep thoughts I've thought up for you!"

I loved the original Halo, despite it being a little repetitive.

I loved Zelda 2 on the NES and wish they'd make another good Zelda side-scroller. I didn't like Minish Cap much. The sound effects were annoying and there was just WAY too much collecting stuff. I also didn't like Link's Awakening or Oracle of Whatever.

I don't like Axelay.

I think Virtua Fighter is awesome and Tekken sucks : )

I like KOF almost as much as Street Fighter. I don't like the art style in SF IV. I also don't like the SF EX series at all.

I haven't met an analog pad I liked. I don't like analog control in general. Give me games that are designed to work well with a digital 8-way pad and I'm happy.

I like Castlevania II as much as III. I really like SoTN and the metroidvania sequels until the later game bits where you have way too many powerful weapons and techniques and the challenge curve is broken. I also don't like how the metroidvania CV games manage challenge. An enemy will nuke you in one hit until you are the right level. Then the enemy is properly challenging for about 2 levels. Then you can crush the enemy beneath your foot and the backtracking is simply an excuse to collect all the goodies.

And, again, yes, I still like the metroidvanias, despite all the things I don't like about them. It is because they are still fun up until they get frustrating or annoying.

*puts on asbestos undies*
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

by Ack Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 am

Super Mario Bros. 2 is more entertaining than Super Mario Bros. 3, and I consider it superior.

I agree with General_Norris on Half-Life 2's pacing. The driving levels feel overly long to me. I don't usually care for driving in FPS games.

There is nothing wrong with modern military shooters in the FPS genre. They have their place, same as WWII FPS, tactical FPS, arena deathmatch, so on and so forth. And yes, I prefer FPS with a keyboard and mouse on a PC.

Pit-Fighter is a good game. But the SNES port was horrendously developed.

Shaq Fu is elegant and beautiful when played correctly. Pity the controls prevent this from happening.

There are good fighting games on the Nintendo 64.

The NTSC-U Super Nintendo does not have an awful design. I enjoy its feminine color scheme and have no shame referring to it as "my baby."

Mega Man is the best character in the Mega Man series, and the original Mega Man series is superior to Mega Man X. Mega Man X boss designs are terrible.

The quality of any FPS can be judged by the quality of its shotgun.

Team Fortress Classic is superior to Team Fortress 2.

Biometal's NTSC-U soundtrack is hilariously entertaining.

Let's play videos are the scourge of YouTube. If I am watching gameplay videos, I want to watch gameplay, not listen to your horrendous voice, your terrible attempts at jokes, and your complaints over how "crappy" X thing is in said game. Just because you don't know how to play a game does not make it bad.

All video games have something to offer, even the ones considered terrible. Someone, somewhere, considers even the bad games to be their favorite.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:01 pm

CFFJR wrote:You're both wrong. Its not purple, its fucking indigo.

Gawd.

Hello.

My name is Indigo Gamecube.

Do not try to fuck me.

Prepare to die.
Return to General Gaming