Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

by Ack Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:I remember talking to some random guy in K-Mart when Half-Life came out and he was saying, "On hard mode the enemies feel like real people!" Now of course they absolutely don't, but at the time the way the human soldiers acted was such a leap over the target practice enemies we were used to.

That takes me back. I remember the first time I encountered the Marines. I holed up behind a box, and they used a grenade to flush me out. I still remember thinking, "Oh, shit!" as I saw that pineapple land next to me.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:09 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:I think it mostly comes down to the fact that everything that the Half Life games are known for, what made them big, has been done again, but better, or at least in a way more palatable to me. Might not be the best way to put it, I don't know.

I also generally prefer twitch/fast paced/old school FPS games, so it might just be that. Dunno, they just didn't do it for me.

And that is totally okay. I do feel that few games do atmospheric storytelling in general which is why I would rule that out. Were there sections you did enjoy? My guess is moments like Ravencroft or the prison standoff were more to your taste that seemed more fast paced and twitch oriented. I am positive the riverboat sections bored you to tears and rightfully so. That part is a bit of a slog hahaha.

You essentially got my biggest likes and dislikes right there. :lol: I think it's like the Fallout series is for me, where the story and lore interest me, but the games themselves don't do much for me.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:56 pm

The Marines are still scarier than the Combine, for sure.

Anyways, Half-Life 2 is a 10 for me. I played Half-Life 1 a lot probably somewhere around 1998-1999 when it dropped... will never forget the first time I played it at a friends house of the parents, with a flight stick. That was a thing back then...

If you guys haven't played Black Mesa in awhile, I played it last year and it's utterly amazing at this point. They still haven't done Xen but I hated that part anyways, so it doesn't really matter... but perhaps they can make it cooler.
Return to General Gaming