Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sideer

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

by Sideer Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:08 pm

I like the main story of The Witcher 3, but the side missions were very ubisoft like. Capture the burrow, capture the camp, kill X do that. It was underwhelming, and being completionist, i could not help but just grind them out. It is a problem on my side, and it dragged the game for me painfully. :(
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Sideer wrote:I like the main story of The Witcher 3, but the side missions were very ubisoft like. Capture the burrow, capture the camp, kill X do that. It was underwhelming, and being completionist, i could not help but just grind them out. It is a problem on my side, and it dragged the game for me painfully. :(

I can see where you are coming from, and agree to an extent, but so far I haven't found them to be quite on Ubisoft's level. A few of them (Particularly the ones revolving around characters rather than tasks) have even been good, and presented some tough decision making.

Compared to something like The Division, who's main quests were what you described, I feel like its at least a tier above. Though, I can only speak for what I've played, which is up to Novigrad, about 45 hours in.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:43 pm

The original NES controllers are iconic and perhaps the most immediately identifiable component of the system. So in that capacity, the original controllers are the NES. So it's no surprise then that the NES Mini and the new wireless Switch NES controllers use the original design. They are banking on the nostalgia inherent in that design. But do you know what else is true of the original NES controller design? <unpopular opinion time> They suck to use for any longer than 1/2 hour at a time, what with all right angles and edges. I'm sure it would be a rather questionable business decision on the part of Nintendo, but for my part I'd even be willing to pay a few bucks extra were they ever to re-issue a dogbone controller for one of these systems. The fact that dogbone controllers exist at all is due to Nintendo's own improvements to the rather problematic original design. So reissuing the original design in the name of nostalgia always feels a bit regressive to me.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:26 pm

I remember once seeing that redesign out in the wild, didn't they come with the top loaders or something? I've never once used them though, they look very cool. You would think with the reverence of the SNES in all regions, they could have easily used that design from here on out. But yeah like you said, guess they keep banking on nostalgia with the original box controllers.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Xeogred wrote:I remember once seeing that redesign out in the wild, didn't they come with the top loaders or something? I've never once used them though, they look very cool. You would think with the reverence of the SNES in all regions, they could have easily used that design from here on out. But yeah like you said, guess they keep banking on nostalgia with the original box controllers.

Yup they did. SNES controller basically with the added useless buttons removed because it's very comfortable to use. I've got a top loader and like 2-3 of those controllers for it and I won't let them go. I can use both fine, I never had a problem with using the boxy controller and any pain like ever, even after like a 4-6hour play run. Since they'd rather forget the thing as it's not iconic, you'll need to just get the NES30 or NES30pro(has twin sticks) from 8bitdo as it's shaped as the as dogbone was.
marurun

by marurun Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:08 pm

The redesigned dpad, similar to the SNES, is also rough on thumbs (just like the SNES pad) due to the rounded edges not actually being all that rounded and the texture being like fine plastic sandpaper.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 pm

I actually really dislike the angle of the dogbone buttons, that is A being higher than B. It feels awkward, especially when playing run/jump games like Mario. Note how the Super Mario World controls are different, where Y is run and you go down to B to jump. This is so much more comfortable on the thumb.

It's not just Mario though; I think having the jump button higher (rather than lower or even) with the attack button almost always feels awkward.
Last edited by BoneSnapDeez on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:28 am

marurun wrote:The redesigned dpad, similar to the SNES, is also rough on thumbs (just like the SNES pad) due to the rounded edges not actually being all that rounded and the texture being like fine plastic sandpaper.

I think I prefer the D-pad on the dog bone controllers just a little bit, if only for the little extra give they have. The D-pad on the SNES controllers still feels similar to the original NES controller's, in that it feels somewhat like I'm grinding my thumb into a brick wall.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I actually really dislike the angle of the dogbone buttons, that is A being higher than B.

I've never really noticed it on the dog bone controllers before, but now that you mention it, I'm probably never going to be able to not notice it--. In general, I agree that I'd rather have the main action buttons lined up at a 135 degree angle, as opposed to a 45 degree angle. It feels a lot more natural, and comfortable.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:34 am

pierrot wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I actually really dislike the angle of the dogbone buttons, that is A being higher than B.

I've never really noticed it on the dog bone controllers before, but now that you mention it, I'm probably never going to be able to not notice it--. In general, I agree that I'd rather have the main action buttons lined up at a 135 degree angle, as opposed to a 45 degree angle. It feels a lot more natural, and comfortable.

I'm definitely with you guys on this one. The dogbone would have been even better if the buttons were roughly aligned with the Y/B or X/A buttons of the SNES controller. For some reason a lot of emulators also default to this 'acute angle' button layout for the NES (the A/B buttons if you're looking at an XBOX controller). Generally the first adjustment I make when starting a new NES emulator (or GB, VBA, SMS, PCE, etc.) is to change that layout to a more comfortable setup (X/A).
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

by Nintendork666 Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:15 am

I've grown to prefer modern games to retro titles now. I'm super big on player immersion, pretty graphics, and quality of life enhancements like auto-save. Developers are able to do so much more with today's technology, that I can't get excited about old games apart from the cream of the crop.... like Dexterity on Game Boy!!

Return to General Gaming