Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Klogen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

by Klogen Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:58 pm

I love the Switch, but 80% of the games available look like the same boring retro 2D platformer over and over. Every time a game is announced I watch 5 seconds of the trailer and quit out when I realize it's the same thing. :oops:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:35 pm

You must not watch a lot of videos as a lot of the library isn't a retro platformer. Have you dug into what all exactly is there much? I'm just curious. I'd get it if you were moaning about companies porting games to it, personally I appreciate it, but there are plenty of entitled complainers out there about it and it's to a point true.
Klogen

by Klogen Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:51 am

Tanooki wrote:You must not watch a lot of videos as a lot of the library isn't a retro platformer. Have you dug into what all exactly is there much? I'm just curious. I'd get it if you were moaning about companies porting games to it, personally I appreciate it, but there are plenty of entitled complainers out there about it and it's to a point true.

Thank you for a response :) I do realize the problem of any complaining person is themselves. I don't have much of free cash to throw at games so i overthink a lot on what i wanna buy. I watch a lot of top releases and wait for some definite gems, and also very often i see these platformers, and it might be my youtube history that i get recommendations of these games most of the time.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

by Dikdikvandik Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:54 pm

Here's another one, Yakuza is better than Shenmue.

I didn't think it was an unpopular opinion but EVERY TIME I mention it a bunch of Shenmue fans get pissed and try to convince me otherwise.

But here's why I prefer Yakuza over Shenmue

Kiryu is more interesting than Ryo he's motivated by doing right by his friends and makeshift family at the Orphanage while Ryo just wants Revenge, which was what Lan Di killed his father over....

Majima, Saejima and Akiyama stand out more than anyone else in Shenmue. Even Tanimura in 4 is memorable.

Not that Yakuza is perfect, Diago is an Idiot and Haruka is a complete moron who doesn't listen and people die because of her.

But it's not just the characters, I love watching Kamurocho change over time and can't wait to see it in Shin Yakuza. The side stories are batshit crazy. The Arcades from 5 onwards are way better too. Virtua Fighter 5 is in Yakuza 6 how do you top that?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:03 pm

Seems fair and I don't have much income either due to being stuck with some rotten circumstances for years now so I get that. I don't buy a lot of Switch games with any regularity, but I have well used the second hand and now dead amazon 20% off deal to snap up stuff and I've got like a dozen games for it, though not that many were $60 to start with ($48 with discount.)

I tend to read up a lot on stuff, then I either buy it or waffle and never buy it or get it some month or year later for a good price reduction as I find some reason to be not worth face value. I think with amazon being cheaper now more than ever my pick ups will be perhaps a bit more reduced yet. I'll take my annoyance out on not even them but in the end game makers as I'll ride out the price reductions more now than ever.
Levelup7

by Levelup7 Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:18 am

Yes, a huge one that many people don't agree with me on.. but truly, it's just the way I feel. You know how some games have under water levels? That's my favorite part of the game. All my friends can't stand levels under water. I love the challenge :mrgreen:
ADingoAteMyBaby
8-bit

by ADingoAteMyBaby Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 am

Levelup7 wrote:Yes, a huge one that many people don't agree with me on.. but truly, it's just the way I feel. You know how some games have under water levels? That's my favorite part of the game. All my friends can't stand levels under water. I love the challenge :mrgreen:

As a kid I absolutely hated water levels. I appreciate and like them a whole lot more now.
Jake Armitage
16-bit

by Jake Armitage Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:39 am

The oversize Sega CD cases are probably my favorite game cases. I know they are somewhat fragile but I have never had one break once I have them in my paws. And some shelves of a bunch of those matching blue spines makes for a mighty fine display of gaming magnificence. (Damn that Snatcher game with the striped spine.....)

I know (from comments on other boards) that a lot of people really dislike them but if you don't try to juggle your game cases there should be no problem.

After those I like the Sega master system and Genesis plastic cases. I was mightily vexed when Sega put our those crappy cardboard Genesis boxes at a time when their games were pretty much at a peak pricewise.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
Marylle

by Marylle Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:29 pm

ADingoAteMyBaby wrote:
Levelup7 wrote:Yes, a huge one that many people don't agree with me on.. but truly, it's just the way I feel. You know how some games have under water levels? That's my favorite part of the game. All my friends can't stand levels under water. I love the challenge :mrgreen:

As a kid I absolutely hated water levels. I appreciate and like them a whole lot more now.

Finally someone i can agree with about the water levels. Seriously, like everyone around me enjoy these levels, i find them the most cliche levels in gaming. It's always the same looking for valves to turn, the room full of water and it has to be near the open electricity. Could not enjoy Bioshock as most of the game is water levels. I think the main reason being not only cliche mechanics, but the slow motion movements under water and that you always look through the blue filter.
It's been a while since i last played something with water, i grown up to be more open to the things i didn't like and learned to adjust
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Jake Armitage wrote:The oversize Sega CD cases are probably my favorite game cases. I know they are somewhat fragile but I have never had one break once I have them in my paws. And some shelves of a bunch of those matching blue spines makes for a mighty fine display of gaming magnificence. (Damn that Snatcher game with the striped spine.....)

I know (from comments on other boards) that a lot of people really dislike them but if you don't try to juggle your game cases there should be no problem.

After those I like the Sega master system and Genesis plastic cases. I was mightily vexed when Sega put our those crappy cardboard Genesis boxes at a time when their games were pretty much at a peak pricewise.

Always loved the Sega CD/Saturn cases as well. They make for such handsomeness on a shelf.
Return to General Gaming