Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

by Tanooki Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:07 am

Unhacked xbox, looking back to the day it was kicking I'd throw your opinion at it at that time the system had NO value outside of Halo and little else, and MS watered that down further taking Halo, Forza, etc to the PC too. Xbox was a strongarm tactic to force the windows maker into a new market to try like others to come in like a wrecking ball and take over which thankfully didn't work out, even in more recent times when that xbox1 DRM thing imploded.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:24 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:Jokes aside, I am a bit surprised to see people preferring XIII-2 to XIII. I've tried so many times to get into the game, but it just never stuck. Large Sora just falling from the sky to hang out with Sara, so they can go on a time-traveling adventure is just... weird. I'll give it that Sara at least seems like she may have an interesting arc, but as far as I got, Noel had done nothing to make me care about him. The combat is still good, but its also the same as XIII, so that makes sense.

Does the game not hit its stride early? Is it the Pokemon-esk thing that sells people? Its a game I want to like, and I'm not convinced its bad or anything, but compared to XIII's teen-y melodrama opener that immediately gave character to its cast, XIII-2 just seems shallow.

I think XIII-2 just addresses a lot of the issues that people had with XIII. Where that game is tangibly linear for a while (really not much different from many other games, just not disguised well), and takes for-ev-er to open up all the game systems. XIII-2 wastes little time in handing you the reigns. The structure is also a bit more of a puzzle - the tutorial gives you a flash-forward, and more pieces are shown over time, instead of the XIII method of infodumping and hoping you remember enough to care by the next plot beat. While XIII-2 does have a canon ending, the nature of the "correct the timeline" sort of story does let them have other possibilities (it has like 9 endings). So you have more of a feeling of control, and more that ties into personal motivations of the smaller cast, but still with enough linearity that it's not hard to figure out the path forward.

Dikdikvandik wrote:I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, it's not in my circles but
I feel like Xbox as a stand alone brand has no reason to exist anymore. There is nothing that gives xbox a distinct identity, Backwards compatibility is just a band aid to hide the fact Microsoft has no interest in making games anymore and while the original Xbox is awesome and 360 is Shmup heaven the writing for Xbox has been on the wall since late 2012.

Eh, I don't think lack of first-party titles is necessarily a killer. The 360 kinda lacked that later in its product cycle too. MS has otherwise been doing very well in improving their platform, where Sony has largely not. The way XBox has been rolling in backwards compatibility (and performance scaling) is a lot more the way it should work, nevermind that the other two basically aren't even trying to incorporate it.
So, sure, the library on Xbox One is a little thin relative to the PS4, but as a game-playing appliance, a One X beats the crap out of a PS4 Pro, outside of no real VR support yet. I think the full benefits of the Xbox platform improvements may take another round of hardware to appreciate though. If/when Sony drops their current library (again) and (presumably) MS just lets you keep your stuff, but better (as they're working towards)...consumers may swing back to Xbox, and with them, more development effort.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:00 am

Agree w/ isiolia. I vastly prefer the way that MS has been handling Xbox as a platform. And for some, the backwards compatibility stuff is huge. I mean when you think about a weekly roll-out of (possibly) classic games that you may not even need to pay for? Like Red Dead Revolver is added to the list - so if you have the 360 disc already, then go ahead and pop it in. And if you have the game digitally on 360, then guess what? Now it's "ready to install" on Xbox One. But if you had owned the game on PS3 then your best case is that it gets a PS4 that you get to pay for again. There's also the crossplay stuff between Xbox One and Switch which is lacking on PS4. Though I admit that's not really a selling point for EVERYONE. But it's cool. I guess I just feel like MS has done a great job of focusing on quality of life improvements for the console, which I appreciate.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:34 pm

noiseredux wrote:Agree w/ isiolia. I vastly prefer the way that MS has been handling Xbox as a platform. And for some, the backwards compatibility stuff is huge. I mean when you think about a weekly roll-out of (possibly) classic games that you may not even need to pay for? Like Red Dead Revolver is added to the list - so if you have the 360 disc already, then go ahead and pop it in. And if you have the game digitally on 360, then guess what? Now it's "ready to install" on Xbox One. But if you had owned the game on PS3 then your best case is that it gets a PS4 that you get to pay for again. There's also the crossplay stuff between Xbox One and Switch which is lacking on PS4. Though I admit that's not really a selling point for EVERYONE. But it's cool. I guess I just feel like MS has done a great job of focusing on quality of life improvements for the console, which I appreciate.

I agree. As someone with a vast collection of Xbox and Xbox 360 games, I really appreciate this approach. I might even end up getting an Xbox One at some point.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:50 pm

I forget this about the X1, and is a compelling argument for a future purchase.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:13 pm

The Xbone is the only console I don't own and have no interest in at all. I am primarily a PC gamer so the only reason I buy consoles are for exclusives, since all Xbone exclusives also get released for windows 10 it is redundant for me to buy one. So, I don't think the xbox brand is totally worthless but it is if you are a PC gamer.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:29 pm

I have an unpopular opinion: I think Bethesda’s Creation Club thing is great!

Bought a decent amount of stuff for Fallout 4. Weapons, armor, paint jobs, stuff for the base building.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:26 pm

dunpeal2064 wrote:
Xeogred wrote: I like JRPG's for a nice big cast of characters and a fun group to venture with.

But you prefer XIII-2 to XIII? That game has the cast size of Mystic Quest! :lol:

Jokes aside, I am a bit surprised to see people preferring XIII-2 to XIII. I've tried so many times to get into the game, but it just never stuck. Large Sora just falling from the sky to hang out with Sara, so they can go on a time-traveling adventure is just... weird. I'll give it that Sara at least seems like she may have an interesting arc, but as far as I got, Noel had done nothing to make me care about him. The combat is still good, but its also the same as XIII, so that makes sense.

Does the game not hit its stride early? Is it the Pokemon-esk thing that sells people? Its a game I want to like, and I'm not convinced its bad or anything, but compared to XIII's teen-y melodrama opener that immediately gave character to its cast, XIII-2 just seems shallow.

Maybe I'm just holding it to XIII too much. That game just felt special, in that it managed a decent cast while giving them all a genuine purpose to be there, and the interwoven ways in which each character had connections to another was great.

Not that I'm claiming this is high quality writing or anything, I know this is cheesy soap-opera stuff, but it just felt so much stronger than the traditional FF approach of "Go to each character's hometown once to learn about them, they go with you to save the world, end of arc". And it may have impacted my feelings towards XIII-2, since that game both heavily cuts down the cast size to two, and one of them, so far, seems to just be a random dude.

Dude, I know you dunpeal, trust me I'm sure you'd love it. Even with some of the disdain I had for XIII at the time it was easy for me to approach XIII-2 with a clean slate and give it a shot. It gets better and better constantly. And what isiolia said helped a ton too, you have immediate control and customization of the combat system and parties. Let me also get this out of the way, 9 times out of 10 I HATE Pokemon/Monster catching gimmicks in JRPG's, but it never ever felt like I had to try much to get some good monsters here. The system rocked. You're not wrong about me contradicting myself earlier in preferring big casts haha... it would have been even more ideal to have a third main character instead of rotating monsters, but yeah, the characters in XIII-2 had amazing arcs to me and it was also awesome when Snow or whatnot popped up for their own part (again, the guy who originally hated XIII hyping this up haha).

Plus the game is gorgeous, you get more of that legendary OST with new tracks, and the final boss was one of the hardest and most satisfying FF bosses I've fought since like Zeromus. I couldn't believe how awesome the final boss was and what you fight. The time travelling was cool and there's some great sci-fi environments I loved that looked like a Xeno game on steroids so I was heaven, though some of the time traveling was still convoluted... it's no Chrono Trigger, but I think it was handled pretty well. Definitely way more variety in paths and whatnot than XIII. Rock solid difficulty like XIII as well which I loved, definitely had some tough moments and bosses.

Kind of shocked you haven't finished it as the resident XIII lover! I mean, Lightning pops up a lot so your girl is still around and all haha. :mrgreen:

JUST DO IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPEzumonJv4

It's kind of funny that Lightning's voice actress does Liara in Mass Effect too, who I loved. I chalk it up to the writing/dialogue with Lightning that bugs me haha. But she's not bad.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 am

Appreciate the responses, isolia and Xeo! You've convinced me to give it another go. Earthbound took several tries before it clicked, but I had a blast once it did, so hopefully everything will come together here.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:35 am

I feel a bit the same. I actually do still own FF13 and Part 2 on Steam, I just delisted/hid them as they're massive space eaters. I never got but a few hours into part 2 while 13 I never finished as it got stale in the open space on the back end as you're so badly leveled it's a grindfest crawl and I went onto the next after a time. This one being open from the start with a more normal play flow would negate that and while i'm not Pokemon huge, I don't mind it as much so if it's lite to the point of not being a chore at all to get something helpful for the party all the better. And of those characters Lightning was the favorite for me, even named a Guild Wars character after her Japanese name years ago.
Return to General Gaming