Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by Tanooki »

I've always enjoyed Ys 3 never understood the hate other then butthurt fans hating change. I was introduced to it on SNES the same time as the turbo CD so I don't take sides. And really bump to kill vs swing to kill is better.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Bayonetta 2 seems okay and better than the first, but nothing Earth shattering like the fans make it out to be. I don't know if the cutscenes become less as it goes, but the pacing is still pretty terrible like the first game. Control is taken away from you after about every 5-10 minutes of gameplay for cutscenes. With how ridiculous and stylish it is it's kind of like Asura's Wrath, but with an actual good combat system, however Asura's Wrath plot/characters and charm is way more to my liking, not to mention how ridiculously crazy and awesome the combination of sci-fi Hinduism is, it had one of the craziest worlds I've ever seen. Sci-fi DBZ or something.

I just don't know fellas. Bayonetta 2 seems legit and like another great Wii U exclusive, but I don't see this even coming close to the awesomeness of Ninja Gaiden Xbox or Devil May Cry 1/3, etc. Some of the Bayo fans come off like it's the only action series they've ever played or something.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Some of the Bayo fans come off like it's the only action series they've ever played or something.

The power of T&A to draw greenhorns into the genre.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Some of the Bayo fans come off like it's the only action series they've ever played or something.

The power of T&A to draw greenhorns into the genre.

Nah, Scott Baio just has that power. That's the power of Charles in Charge.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I liked Bayonetta 2 a ton, and it gets crazier. But you're right, it's a better combat system, but Asura's Wrath has some of the most ridiculous setpieces ever, so it wins points from me just through sheer absurdity.

Is it better than Devil May Cry 3? Hmmm... tough call. I played the original release of that, which as everyone knows is calibrated really hard. I actually liked Devil May Cry 4 a ton, and that game is better than Bayo 1. B2 is in a different league, though.

Really, it's just different flavors of the same game. I think it's 9/10 territory, but it's certainly not really "better" than the best of the genre. It's just a good example of Platinum being on their game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I feel I'd take God Hand, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, and maybe some others over it. I guess I like Mikami games more than Kamiya.

(I kind of view God Hand and Clover stuff as pre-Platinum haha).

The DMC HD trilogy is worth getting if you want a better version of DMC3. On top of it looking like one of the best HD collections in my book.

Anyways, yeah... I'll keep plugging away at Bayo 2 and am liking it the more I play. In comparison though, I just beat Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 which was definitely a downgrade from the first Xbox game, and weirdly insanely linear (which never bugs me, but this was literally chain reactions of point A to point B levels). So even though Sigma 2 is a lesser game I'm already missing some things about it compared to Bayo 2 here. The frequent interruptions really bugs me and is probably also why I'm not a huge fan of God of War and other stuff like that which has lots of big set pieces, QTE's, etc.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Well, there's lots of interruptions in MGR:R as well, but you might like those a lot more than Bayo's flavor. For my money, Bayonetta 2 was the better game, and I just finished off Revengeance.

I also finished Ninja Gaiden 2 last year, and I agree with your criticisms. It wasn't nearly as good as the first one. Still solid, probably 8/10 territory, but not mind-blowing like the original was.

I've been putting off getting the DMC HD collection, but I'll likely bite at some point.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:'ve been putting off getting the DMC HD collection, but I'll likely bite at some point.

It's so cheap I recently bought a copy myself. All three games for $15 brand new on Amazon was too good of a deal.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator wrote:
Sarge wrote:'ve been putting off getting the DMC HD collection, but I'll likely bite at some point.

It's so cheap I recently bought a copy myself. All three games for $15 brand new on Amazon was too good of a deal.

I've gotten cheap as of late. You know this! I'm waiting for sub-$10. :) I think I saw a copy in the local pawn shop, might snag it there.

I guess the issue is that I don't see myself replaying them right now, as opposed to whittling down the backlog. Yet I'm more than willing to play through the upcoming remake of Dragon Quest VII so... dunno. Guess I gotta get my priorities straight!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah when I mentioned playing Sigma 2 here nobody said anything haha. It does seem pretty forgettable. Probably a fun one time playthrough. The PS3 version was a nice improvement though, I remember the 360 one ran like crap. But there was still some screen tearing.

Razor's Edge looks a bit more different and I figure the engine is more polished, so maybe they tried a little harder with that one. I guess vanilla NG3 got a lot of slack for being too easy, but Razor's Edge is some spruced up version which I hear is the complete opposite and completely tough. I'll check that out sometime.

It's a shame I can't stand Sigma 1 though because of those awful Rachel segments! The game even had more mid loading points throughout the levels too compared to Black. I think it maybe had screen tearing too. Despite a console upgrade... it seems worse in every field compared to the Black version on Xbox. lol

Unless Sigma has this stuff as unlockables, what's really sad is how the online "tournament mode" for NG Xbox is completely lost content when that went offline. I couldn't even beat it, after beating the game on very hard and stuff. I remember the tournament mode replaced the enemies in the very first prologue level with the infamous black ninjas, and then just about every enemy type from that point on was completely replaced with something even nastier than before. It was so brutal but I wish it was still accessible. I don't think it is though.