Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

+1

I think the Wii was underutilized for FPS games. It may not have been able to match its competitors graphically, but the control schemes in Wii shooters is, IMO, really good.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:+1

I think the Wii was underutilized for FPS games. It may not have been able to match its competitors graphically, but the control schemes in Wii shooters is, IMO, really good.

Do you have recommendations? The only one I played was GoldenEye, and I only used the classic controller for it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:+1

Do you have recommendations? The only one I played was GoldenEye, and I only used the classic controller for it.

That’s one. The motion controls are also immensely satisfying in Metroid Prime 3. The Conduit games are also pretty solid, although I haven’t beaten either of them.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

There's a lot of great FPS on the Wii. I also think the Wiimote is great for FPS because it mimics a mouse so well. Strangely, I used the CC for Goldeneye, despite loving using the Wiimote for other FPS on the console.

Here are the Wii FPS that I have played...

Far Cry Vengeance - Horrible graphics and very buggy. Likely rushed out for launch.
Goldeneye 007 - A+, as you already know.
Medal of Honor Vangaurd - I had a blast playing this one.
Red Steel - This game is just meant to be fun. There's a sequel, but I have yet to play it.
Call of Duty 3 - I remember it being a little bland, but I don't think I gave it a chance.

There's a lot more FPS on the Wii, those are just the few that I've played.

Resident Evil 4 is a third person shooter, but definitely benefits from using the Wiimote to aim. I don't think I would ever be able to play this game with dual sticks. Are there any other third person shooters on the Wii that are noteworthy?

There's also a ton of on rails shooters (light gun games) that work really well because of the Wiimote. There's a few House of the Deads, Resident Evils, Link's Crossbow Training, and a lot more.

https://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-sta ... 20displays.

Medal of Honor Heroes 2 is a sort of weird game because you can play it on or off rails. I remember being disappointed with it because I picked it up after Vangaurd, and compared to that it was a let down. But I never tried it on rails. I suspect it would be a fun game if played light gun style.

There's also the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which are sort of FPS. But they're really MetroidVania games in the first person.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Not sure if it was my set up but I couldn't stand playing Metroid Prime 3 or Conduit with motion controls. Seemed to me that is wasn't responsive enough when trying to aim into corners. Both not fast enough and then risked losing the calibration. I can't imagine trying to play online with that set up.

Keyboard/mouse still the best set up and then I'd take a 360 pad any day for anything but light gun shooters (although obviously the preference there would be a light gun).
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Only one I played through was Metroid Prime, but yeah, really didn't care for Wiimote control - purely for aiming it's okay, but having areas to aim that are then rotation, and needing to keep it oriented right the whole time were tedious.
Ack

Post by Ack »

PresidentLeever wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:Keyboard/mouse still the best set up

+1

Also agree.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

i'm the opposite. i never really got into pc gaming so keyboard/mouse setup always feels foreign, i also can't stand arcade sticks, even for fighters and shmups. i never had one growing up and didn't really go to arcades much so i'm just used to console controllers for everything.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Which controller type depends on the game for me. If it's a first person shooter, I much prefer a keyboard and mouse at this point. Which is a shame, because now I have a hard time going back to console FPS. There's a few FPS on PS2 that I really enjoyed back in the day and I really want to replay them now but every time I try I just can't deal with the dual sticks. I end up getting my ass handed to me and wonder how I ever did it. But there's lots of games on the PC that I much prefer a gamepad over keyboard and mouse. Like a 2D or 3D platformer.

Arcade sticks I could never get good with. All the 90's arcade hits I played at home with console ports and got use to using controller for them. I've played a lot of Mortal Kombat, and I'm really good at MKII with a D-Pad, but any time I try to play with a stick I can't input the taps as fast.

Maybe it's just what you're use to. For example, I was able to once play FPS on PS2 and be very good with aiming, many years of playing with keyboard and mouse makes it hard to go back to a gamepad. But I'm sure if I practiced enough I would get good again. I'm sure if I used an arcade stick for Mortal Kombat that I could eventually get good with it too. I just don't want to.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

Arcade sticks take time to learn. You are going to be worse at the games than you were with a controller when you start using one. I played on them growing up in the arcades, but didn't really get used to playing with them until about 5 years ago. It took me probably over a year to really get comfortable playing 2D fighting games with mine. Now I don't have to think out it. But spending $200 on a nice stick is worth it if you're willing to put in the work. I think I'm much better overall at fighters and when I go to an actual arcade (they do still exist), it feels natural. Although that said, my sticks and buttons are much nicer than what most cabinets have.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"