Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by Sarge »

I forget this about the X1, and is a compelling argument for a future purchase.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

The Xbone is the only console I don't own and have no interest in at all. I am primarily a PC gamer so the only reason I buy consoles are for exclusives, since all Xbone exclusives also get released for windows 10 it is redundant for me to buy one. So, I don't think the xbox brand is totally worthless but it is if you are a PC gamer.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I have an unpopular opinion: I think Bethesda’s Creation Club thing is great!

Bought a decent amount of stuff for Fallout 4. Weapons, armor, paint jobs, stuff for the base building.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
Xeogred wrote: I like JRPG's for a nice big cast of characters and a fun group to venture with.

But you prefer XIII-2 to XIII? That game has the cast size of Mystic Quest! :lol:

Jokes aside, I am a bit surprised to see people preferring XIII-2 to XIII. I've tried so many times to get into the game, but it just never stuck. Large Sora just falling from the sky to hang out with Sara, so they can go on a time-traveling adventure is just... weird. I'll give it that Sara at least seems like she may have an interesting arc, but as far as I got, Noel had done nothing to make me care about him. The combat is still good, but its also the same as XIII, so that makes sense.

Does the game not hit its stride early? Is it the Pokemon-esk thing that sells people? Its a game I want to like, and I'm not convinced its bad or anything, but compared to XIII's teen-y melodrama opener that immediately gave character to its cast, XIII-2 just seems shallow.

Maybe I'm just holding it to XIII too much. That game just felt special, in that it managed a decent cast while giving them all a genuine purpose to be there, and the interwoven ways in which each character had connections to another was great.

Not that I'm claiming this is high quality writing or anything, I know this is cheesy soap-opera stuff, but it just felt so much stronger than the traditional FF approach of "Go to each character's hometown once to learn about them, they go with you to save the world, end of arc". And it may have impacted my feelings towards XIII-2, since that game both heavily cuts down the cast size to two, and one of them, so far, seems to just be a random dude.

Dude, I know you dunpeal, trust me I'm sure you'd love it. Even with some of the disdain I had for XIII at the time it was easy for me to approach XIII-2 with a clean slate and give it a shot. It gets better and better constantly. And what isiolia said helped a ton too, you have immediate control and customization of the combat system and parties. Let me also get this out of the way, 9 times out of 10 I HATE Pokemon/Monster catching gimmicks in JRPG's, but it never ever felt like I had to try much to get some good monsters here. The system rocked. You're not wrong about me contradicting myself earlier in preferring big casts haha... it would have been even more ideal to have a third main character instead of rotating monsters, but yeah, the characters in XIII-2 had amazing arcs to me and it was also awesome when Snow or whatnot popped up for their own part (again, the guy who originally hated XIII hyping this up haha).

Plus the game is gorgeous, you get more of that legendary OST with new tracks, and the final boss was one of the hardest and most satisfying FF bosses I've fought since like Zeromus. I couldn't believe how awesome the final boss was and what you fight. The time travelling was cool and there's some great sci-fi environments I loved that looked like a Xeno game on steroids so I was heaven, though some of the time traveling was still convoluted... it's no Chrono Trigger, but I think it was handled pretty well. Definitely way more variety in paths and whatnot than XIII. Rock solid difficulty like XIII as well which I loved, definitely had some tough moments and bosses.

Kind of shocked you haven't finished it as the resident XIII lover! I mean, Lightning pops up a lot so your girl is still around and all haha. :mrgreen:

JUST DO IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPEzumonJv4

It's kind of funny that Lightning's voice actress does Liara in Mass Effect too, who I loved. I chalk it up to the writing/dialogue with Lightning that bugs me haha. But she's not bad.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Appreciate the responses, isolia and Xeo! You've convinced me to give it another go. Earthbound took several tries before it clicked, but I had a blast once it did, so hopefully everything will come together here.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I feel a bit the same. I actually do still own FF13 and Part 2 on Steam, I just delisted/hid them as they're massive space eaters. I never got but a few hours into part 2 while 13 I never finished as it got stale in the open space on the back end as you're so badly leveled it's a grindfest crawl and I went onto the next after a time. This one being open from the start with a more normal play flow would negate that and while i'm not Pokemon huge, I don't mind it as much so if it's lite to the point of not being a chore at all to get something helpful for the party all the better. And of those characters Lightning was the favorite for me, even named a Guild Wars character after her Japanese name years ago.
Klogen

Post by Klogen »

I love the Switch, but 80% of the games available look like the same boring retro 2D platformer over and over. Every time a game is announced I watch 5 seconds of the trailer and quit out when I realize it's the same thing. :oops:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

You must not watch a lot of videos as a lot of the library isn't a retro platformer. Have you dug into what all exactly is there much? I'm just curious. I'd get it if you were moaning about companies porting games to it, personally I appreciate it, but there are plenty of entitled complainers out there about it and it's to a point true.
Klogen

Post by Klogen »

Tanooki wrote:You must not watch a lot of videos as a lot of the library isn't a retro platformer. Have you dug into what all exactly is there much? I'm just curious. I'd get it if you were moaning about companies porting games to it, personally I appreciate it, but there are plenty of entitled complainers out there about it and it's to a point true.

Thank you for a response :) I do realize the problem of any complaining person is themselves. I don't have much of free cash to throw at games so i overthink a lot on what i wanna buy. I watch a lot of top releases and wait for some definite gems, and also very often i see these platformers, and it might be my youtube history that i get recommendations of these games most of the time.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Here's another one, Yakuza is better than Shenmue.

I didn't think it was an unpopular opinion but EVERY TIME I mention it a bunch of Shenmue fans get pissed and try to convince me otherwise.

But here's why I prefer Yakuza over Shenmue

Kiryu is more interesting than Ryo he's motivated by doing right by his friends and makeshift family at the Orphanage while Ryo just wants Revenge, which was what Lan Di killed his father over....

Majima, Saejima and Akiyama stand out more than anyone else in Shenmue. Even Tanimura in 4 is memorable.

Not that Yakuza is perfect, Diago is an Idiot and Haruka is a complete moron who doesn't listen and people die because of her.

But it's not just the characters, I love watching Kamurocho change over time and can't wait to see it in Shin Yakuza. The side stories are batshit crazy. The Arcades from 5 onwards are way better too. Virtua Fighter 5 is in Yakuza 6 how do you top that?