Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by ExedExes »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Don't even get me started on the multiple variations of Taito Legends 2.

What the shit.

The reason for Taito Legends 2 having different games was explained in an old forum post from Empire Interactive, the developers:

Apologies guys,

Honestly it wasn't an attempt to rip anyone off. The explanation is somewhat complex but I'll try and lay it out below.

Taito Japan produced Taito Memories for the Japanese market only and hence only developed it on PS2 - it was released in Japan a bit before Taito Legends 1 was released by Empire in EU/US (on PC/PS2/XBox). It didn't include Bubble Symphony. Some of the later games are beyond the power of the PS2 to emulate (Eg. G Darius/Raystorm which use PS1 level hardware), however Taito still had the source code for these and so made proper ports of them, they also spent some time getting the F3 system games running on PS2 which involved removing the F3 sound CPU and replacing sound generation with very long pre-canned sound streams.

Empire had licensed Bubble Symphony for Legends 1 however Taito didn't provide us with any source for any of the games or the rewritten sound cpus, all the Empire versions are true emulations of the original hardware. Consequently despite our best efforts we couldn't get the F3 games running at 60fps on a PS2 under emulation. So we cut Bubble Symph, Darius, Dungeon Magic, Pop N Pop and Rayforce from Legends 1 - despite having them working acceptably on XBox/PC.

For Legends 2 it was decided that as Taito were unwilling to provide the source for these games but they had already done the work of porting them, they would do the PS2 version and Empire would do the PC/XBox versions.

A compilation was constructed that made the most sense as a follow on to Legends 1 and Taito took their Memories 1 and 2 code and made us a new version (Legends 2 PS2) - they also translated it for Europe/US.

Meanwhile Empire got on with the XBox/PC versions - G-Darius/Raystorm (and a couple of others that weren't included in Legends) were software ports on PS2 and would have been impossible to have running on an XBox as emulations and so we substituted other games. On the flip side of the coin Taito Japan had never got Bubble Symphony, Cadash, Rayforce and Pop N Pop working on PS2 so including these wasn't an option for them.

Thats it really - to sum up. Taito Japan did the PS2 version and had a ported version of G-Darius/Raystorm, Empire didn't and wouldn't have been able to get it running emulated on an XBox. Empire had a working version of Bubble Symphony (and others) on XBox/PC and Taito Japan didn't.

You also missed no original Mortal Kombat on Midway Arcade Treasures 2, which only has MK 2 + 3. The original MK appears on the PC edition only. MAT2 was also supposed to have Steel Talons and S.T.U.N Runner, but issues there took them off the compilation and they were replaced by Kozmik Kroozr' and Wacko.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I mean, in fairness, the original Mortal Kombat is kind of garbage. Really, I think the first three are all garbage. They're so slow and clunky; they only reason they got popular was the shock value.

(that's probably a pretty unpopular gaming opinion)
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I mean, in fairness, the original Mortal Kombat is kind of garbage. Really, I think the first three are all garbage. They're so slow and clunky; they only reason they got popular was the shock value.

The first one and third one are garbage, IMO. MKII was a legit fighting game, however, and Ultimate MK3 was pretty solid too. I also enjoyed MK Trilogy, and I have read that some of the later 3D games were also pretty good.
Ack

Post by Ack »

2 has its fair share of problems too, such as a relentless AI. That said, get good at it, and you're a capable hombre. I need to get around to UMK3.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Oh, I wasn't trying to say it's too hard (though that AI could be relentless). I just think the sluggish controls kill the whole thing, especially when you've got Street Fighter II.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

Post by Ack »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Oh, I wasn't trying to say it's too hard (though that AI could be relentless). I just think the sluggish controls kill the whole thing, especially when you've got Street Fighter II.

That is why you have to learn the real way to play an MK game: be absurdly cheap always. Don't worry about notions like "ethics" or "sportsmanship" or some such garbage. Play to win through abuse.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Exhuminator wrote:The problem I had with Sigma 2 is it was severely censored compared to the original:

"Almost all the gore has been removed. Purple mist now bursts from enemies, along with reduced blood splashes. Dismembered body parts no longer stay on the ground, but vanish. Additionally, cinematics have been altered to remove dismemberment, dissection and blood effects. Even the pause menu and game over screens are colored blue instead of red to reflect this change."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Gaiden_Sigma_2

I'll take lower framerate or screen tears over censorship.

They also drastically reduced the number of enemies, from about 4500 throughout the original, to about 1000 in Sigma.

Video for comparison https://youtu.be/VDAiYc_sy8A

Its a shame, the improved graphics and performance, and new weapon are great, but Sigma 2 is a far cry from the genious that is Ninja Gaiden 2.
qishmish

Post by qishmish »

Strange, but i like Gunstar Super Heroes more than original Gunstar Heroes.

:roll:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I mean, in fairness, the original Mortal Kombat is kind of garbage. Really, I think the first three are all garbage. They're so slow and clunky; they only reason they got popular was the shock value.

The first one and third one are garbage, IMO. MKII was a legit fighting game, however, and Ultimate MK3 was pretty solid too. I also enjoyed MK Trilogy, and I have read that some of the later 3D games were also pretty good.

As a kid I LOVED the Mortal Kombat games. I tried to reacquaint myself with them as an adult and thought they were garbage.

I couldn't figure out the problem and then it dawned on me. As a kid I played against friends. As an adult I was trying out the single player mode. And good lord do those games suck in single player.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Seriously, guys. The only way to play MK against the computer is to abuse as many cheap tactics as you possibly can.