Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by pierrot »

pook99 wrote:[Unpopular Opinions]

Bravo. I agree, or have no reason to disagree, with a lot of your opinions, but 8, 9, and 10 actually caused me to raise an eyebrow. Also, I was playing Mighty No. 9 a little bit, earlier in the week, and kind of thought it was junk. Some cool ideas, but extra dumb level design.

Gunstar Green wrote:
7) I enjoyed Raiden as a main character in MGS2, on the same note I utterly despised MGS 3 and 5

I don't like Metal Gear Solid at all. *dodges rocks*

I've got no love for the MGS series, either. Although, I have always really liked VR Missions.

Reprise wrote:The level design also didn't feel better in the second game. The first level in the city is iconic, but other than that, I didn't really enjoy any of the levels that matter (i.e. Sonic's and Shadow's) more than Sonic's in the first game.

I know what you mean, but I think if you pit just the Sonic stages of SA1 and SA2 against each other, the level design is fairly comparable. At least for me. I think the problem could be that the Sonic stages in SA2 seem to have less impact with how spaced out level types are in the main story progression. In other words, once one of the Sonic stages is finished, it's quite some time of walker/treasure hunting/boss stages before another one comes up. I think that could lend itself to making a couple of the less impressive Sonic stages even more forgettable.
Ack

Post by Ack »

There is a Resident Evil 6?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Reprise wrote:Don't feel like playing a stupid shooting level? Well tough shit, because you have to play it and you have to play it right now.

That's what killed it for me too. I also found the levels in general to be more frustrating. Even the "fun" Sonic levels were often a slog for me when the game actually let me play them.

It's also sort of the beginning point of ridiculous Sonic stories that take themselves way too seriously (and gives us Shadow the Hedgehog who is practically someone's edgy fan character). Sonic Adventure is a cheese factory but it never really takes itself too seriously.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Gunstar Green wrote:
Reprise wrote:Don't feel like playing a stupid shooting level? Well tough shit, because you have to play it and you have to play it right now.

That's what killed it for me too. I also found the levels in general to be more frustrating. Even the "fun" Sonic levels were often a slog for me when the game actually let me play them.

It's also sort of the beginning point of ridiculous Sonic stories that take themselves way too seriously (and gives us Shadow the Hedgehog who is practically someone's edgy fan character). Sonic Adventure is a cheese factory but it never really takes itself too seriously.

Good points there that I missed. The first Sonic Adventure definitely had a far more 'fun' feel to it and it didn't feel like the game was taking itself too seriously. The second game definitely seemed to be trying to be 'edgier'.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Balasubbie
128-bit

Post by Balasubbie »

Sonic Adventure games occupy a weird place for me in that I'm pretty sure I hated 95% of my time playing them, but there was something ticking away there that compelled me to keep going. Granted, probably still bitter that 2 makes you do an incredible amount of nonsense just to play as Sonic in a Sonic game.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Balasubbie wrote:Sonic Adventure games occupy a weird place for me in that I'm pretty sure I hated 95% of my time playing them, but there was something ticking away there that compelled me to keep going.

That is a completely, accurate and fair statement.

Also, they are not good games as well. But, I couldn't stop until the end. Sonic Adventure is the first game I would ever consider 'so bad, it's good.'
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

pook99 wrote:I just never enjoyed the 2d sonic games, I did own sonic 1 and 2 as a kid and played through sonic 3 about a year ago but I just never had much fun with those games. They just never hooked me the way mario did, or any number of other platformers of that era. I always felt like the hook of sonic games was the speed, but unless you memorized the levels there was not a great opportunity to use that speed.

Sonic adventure 1 and 2 just felt alot faster and more fun to me, I realize that is not a popular opinion of course, but that is the name of the thread.

I generally agree about 2D Sonic (well, Sonic in general) games. I am a fan of the Genesis, though I didn't own one in the 90s. I have never really been able to get into the Sonic series. I don't think they are BAD games necessarily, but I don't really see the appeal either. Maybe you just had to be there at the time?

I think SEGA has better franchises/series and it's a shame they haven't seen the light of day in a long, long time.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
LensOfTruth
8-bit

Post by LensOfTruth »

I just came to an intriguing conclusion about Mega Man games: When the player's momentum is halted, the games become chores to play.

Maybe I've grown impatient in my old age, but I noticed that, out of the six NES games, Mega Man 2 may have the most "halting moments."

The spiked crushers in Metal Man's stage, the ZeusBot clouds in Air Man's stage, and the moving platforms in the fourth Wily Castle stage are a few examples of spots in the game with extended wait times.

I know Mega Man 2 is considered by many to be the best in the series, but, respectfully, I'm starting to wonder if it may have the worst momentum of the original six. Does anyone have any opinions on that?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I don't know, if anything the entire X series is arguably more "halting" and stop and go with its platforming and more varied level design.

The buster is pretty over powered in MM2 as well, so all the bosses are a breeze.

Compared to how insane and cryptic MM1 is, MM2 is really easy to blast through for me. Some of the later NES games also have those weird collectibles in stages, sliding parts or whatnot, more exploration and backtracking, and in general I would say MM4-MM6 feel slower. Not that that's a bad thing to me, but yeah.

MM2 is a nonstop easy simple breeze for me.

I mean... compared to MM7 and MM8, phew... lol. Now those are experimental and very slow at times. The NES Mega Man games are so simple and amazing to me.
LensOfTruth
8-bit

Post by LensOfTruth »

Xeogred wrote:I don't know, if anything the entire X series is arguably more "halting" and stop and go with its platforming and more varied level design.

The buster is pretty over powered in MM2 as well, so all the bosses are a breeze.

Compared to how insane and cryptic MM1 is, MM2 is really easy to blast through for me. Some of the later NES games also have those weird collectibles in stages, sliding parts or whatnot, more exploration and backtracking, and in general I would say MM4-MM6 feel slower. Not that that's a bad thing to me, but yeah.

MM2 is a nonstop easy simple breeze for me.

I mean... compared to MM7 and MM8, phew... lol. Now those are experimental and very slow at times. The NES Mega Man games are so simple and amazing to me.

Yeah, whenever I run through the Mega Man games, I focus exclusively on the NES ones. The later ones just don't have the same momentum. Thinking about it more, Mega Man 2 also has the boss fight in the fourth Wily Castle Stage. That fight may be the most halting of them all.

For the fourth Wily Castle Stage boss fight: If the player wastes too much ammo destroying breakable walls, a life has to be forfeited. After that, you have to grind for ammo refills outside the boss room. It's dangerous, and the enemies have a low item drop rate. It's absolute madness.