Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by Tanooki »

Seems fair and I don't have much income either due to being stuck with some rotten circumstances for years now so I get that. I don't buy a lot of Switch games with any regularity, but I have well used the second hand and now dead amazon 20% off deal to snap up stuff and I've got like a dozen games for it, though not that many were $60 to start with ($48 with discount.)

I tend to read up a lot on stuff, then I either buy it or waffle and never buy it or get it some month or year later for a good price reduction as I find some reason to be not worth face value. I think with amazon being cheaper now more than ever my pick ups will be perhaps a bit more reduced yet. I'll take my annoyance out on not even them but in the end game makers as I'll ride out the price reductions more now than ever.
Levelup7

Post by Levelup7 »

Yes, a huge one that many people don't agree with me on.. but truly, it's just the way I feel. You know how some games have under water levels? That's my favorite part of the game. All my friends can't stand levels under water. I love the challenge :mrgreen:
ADingoAteMyBaby
8-bit

Post by ADingoAteMyBaby »

Levelup7 wrote:Yes, a huge one that many people don't agree with me on.. but truly, it's just the way I feel. You know how some games have under water levels? That's my favorite part of the game. All my friends can't stand levels under water. I love the challenge :mrgreen:

As a kid I absolutely hated water levels. I appreciate and like them a whole lot more now.
Jake Armitage
16-bit

Post by Jake Armitage »

The oversize Sega CD cases are probably my favorite game cases. I know they are somewhat fragile but I have never had one break once I have them in my paws. And some shelves of a bunch of those matching blue spines makes for a mighty fine display of gaming magnificence. (Damn that Snatcher game with the striped spine.....)

I know (from comments on other boards) that a lot of people really dislike them but if you don't try to juggle your game cases there should be no problem.

After those I like the Sega master system and Genesis plastic cases. I was mightily vexed when Sega put our those crappy cardboard Genesis boxes at a time when their games were pretty much at a peak pricewise.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
Marylle

Post by Marylle »

ADingoAteMyBaby wrote:
Levelup7 wrote:Yes, a huge one that many people don't agree with me on.. but truly, it's just the way I feel. You know how some games have under water levels? That's my favorite part of the game. All my friends can't stand levels under water. I love the challenge :mrgreen:

As a kid I absolutely hated water levels. I appreciate and like them a whole lot more now.

Finally someone i can agree with about the water levels. Seriously, like everyone around me enjoy these levels, i find them the most cliche levels in gaming. It's always the same looking for valves to turn, the room full of water and it has to be near the open electricity. Could not enjoy Bioshock as most of the game is water levels. I think the main reason being not only cliche mechanics, but the slow motion movements under water and that you always look through the blue filter.
It's been a while since i last played something with water, i grown up to be more open to the things i didn't like and learned to adjust
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jake Armitage wrote:The oversize Sega CD cases are probably my favorite game cases. I know they are somewhat fragile but I have never had one break once I have them in my paws. And some shelves of a bunch of those matching blue spines makes for a mighty fine display of gaming magnificence. (Damn that Snatcher game with the striped spine.....)

I know (from comments on other boards) that a lot of people really dislike them but if you don't try to juggle your game cases there should be no problem.

After those I like the Sega master system and Genesis plastic cases. I was mightily vexed when Sega put our those crappy cardboard Genesis boxes at a time when their games were pretty much at a peak pricewise.

Always loved the Sega CD/Saturn cases as well. They make for such handsomeness on a shelf.
Sideer

Post by Sideer »

I like the main story of The Witcher 3, but the side missions were very ubisoft like. Capture the burrow, capture the camp, kill X do that. It was underwhelming, and being completionist, i could not help but just grind them out. It is a problem on my side, and it dragged the game for me painfully. :(
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Sideer wrote:I like the main story of The Witcher 3, but the side missions were very ubisoft like. Capture the burrow, capture the camp, kill X do that. It was underwhelming, and being completionist, i could not help but just grind them out. It is a problem on my side, and it dragged the game for me painfully. :(

I can see where you are coming from, and agree to an extent, but so far I haven't found them to be quite on Ubisoft's level. A few of them (Particularly the ones revolving around characters rather than tasks) have even been good, and presented some tough decision making.

Compared to something like The Division, who's main quests were what you described, I feel like its at least a tier above. Though, I can only speak for what I've played, which is up to Novigrad, about 45 hours in.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

The original NES controllers are iconic and perhaps the most immediately identifiable component of the system. So in that capacity, the original controllers are the NES. So it's no surprise then that the NES Mini and the new wireless Switch NES controllers use the original design. They are banking on the nostalgia inherent in that design. But do you know what else is true of the original NES controller design? <unpopular opinion time> They suck to use for any longer than 1/2 hour at a time, what with all right angles and edges. I'm sure it would be a rather questionable business decision on the part of Nintendo, but for my part I'd even be willing to pay a few bucks extra were they ever to re-issue a dogbone controller for one of these systems. The fact that dogbone controllers exist at all is due to Nintendo's own improvements to the rather problematic original design. So reissuing the original design in the name of nostalgia always feels a bit regressive to me.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I remember once seeing that redesign out in the wild, didn't they come with the top loaders or something? I've never once used them though, they look very cool. You would think with the reverence of the SNES in all regions, they could have easily used that design from here on out. But yeah like you said, guess they keep banking on nostalgia with the original box controllers.