Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
saturnfan
128-bit

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by saturnfan »

Here are two that come to mind:

I like games that are "too linear."

I like games that are short. I can find time to beat them.
Goregasm
16-bit

Post by Goregasm »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Here's one I thought of.

I hate when games try to be hard just to be hard. Not in the case of say, Battletoads, Ghosts n' Goblins, or other games that were hard when they came out just because of design. Another example would be the Souls series. I'm fine with Demon's Souls being hard as hell. Dark Souls changes some things, making it, in my opinion, harder in dumb ways.

In what way do you find dark souls harder in dumb ways? I found it to be WAY more forgiving than demons souls (bonfire system made dying way less punishing and it was far easier to get weapon upgrade materials).
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

saturnfan wrote:I like games that are "too linear."

Oooh, yeah this is a good one. Nothing wrong with a linear game.

I'm probably more likely to replay a more linear game too, especially if it's on the longer side.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'll take a "too linear" JRPG over an open-world sandbox WRPG any day. I just feel too aimless while playing the latter. If I wanted to roam around I would go outside and walk around my farm. :lol:

Here's another opinion: For the most part, I like games to have one ending, only one ending, and to simply end. This New Game+ thing was successfully implemented in Chrono Trigger, but seems extraneous everywhere else.
AppliCotton
16-bit

Post by AppliCotton »

The world of the Zelda games (or Hyrule if you will) is not vast and expansive, it's tiny and limited even by the standards of 8-bit RPGs. Different dimensions, time travel, and stuff hidden everywhere help little in this regard.

The only Zelda game I really like is Zelda II, The Adventure of Link

There are no good shmups on the Dreamcast (Ikaruga is a puzzle game)
1. Guilty Gear
2. Dimahoo
3. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

AppliCotton wrote:The world of the Zelda games (or Hyrule if you will) is not vast and expansive, it's tiny and limited even by the standards of 8-bit RPGs. Different dimensions, time travel, and stuff hidden everywhere help little in this regard.

That's probably because it's not an RPG. :wink:
AppliCotton
16-bit

Post by AppliCotton »

AppleQueso wrote:
AppliCotton wrote:The world of the Zelda games (or Hyrule if you will) is not vast and expansive, it's tiny and limited even by the standards of 8-bit RPGs. Different dimensions, time travel, and stuff hidden everywhere help little in this regard.

aHHHH..aHHHH.. aHHEEEESecret of ManaEEEEm :lol:
1. Guilty Gear
2. Dimahoo
3. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

AppliCotton wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

aHHHH..aHHHH.. aHHEEEESecret of ManaEEEEm :lol:

Secret of Mana is basically what would happen if Zelda was an RPG.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
jinx
Next-Gen

Post by jinx »

Jmustang1968 wrote:- I dislike the Dreamcast and have sold every one I have picked up. The games just do not appeal to me, by and large. The few that do, I can get on other consoles.

Now I see why you ignored my message. :lol:

Hurts to see all the Dreamcast hate in this thread, but I guess that's the point. :P

AppleQueso wrote:<Insert stuff about Emulation Here>

This.
I can see the reason why people like doing it. Convenience, Prettier Screen, Controller Choice, Save States, Cheaper, etc. However, I always feel dirty playing a game in an emulator. Playing the game as it was originally meant to be played always feels right. I only use emulators for impossible to find games or fan translations. This may change as I'm having incredible difficulty with this damn HDTV...

Key-Glyph wrote:Genesis chiptune > SNES chiptune

If done properly. YES!
Then again, just take a look/listen at the music I listen to...

dunpeal2064 wrote:I prefer dubbing to subs, even if the dubbing is bad.

Although I partially agree with this, it REALLY depends. To use an Anime as an example. I can NOT watch the dubbed Neon Genesis Evangelion. I can't stand Shinji, I can't stand the acting, I can't stand it. This will always be a subbed choice for me.

AppleQueso wrote:oh another one I just thought of:

-I love the Saturn/Sega CD/early Ps1 longbox jewel cases.

This is Unpopular? Those are super sexy..

AppleQueso wrote:

Another thing that irks me. Calling the Zelda games "RPGs".

- With the exception of X-2, I find most Final Fantasy Games boring.
- (From another thread) Kingdom Hearts sucks...
- +1 to the majority of N64 games suck.
- +1 I liked the US release of Super Mario 2 as a kid. Although I was confused...
- I love the Dreamcast controller. If it had a second analog stick, it would be my favorite.
- I'm unsure about any Pokemon games after Crystal. I tried some on the DS and couldn't get into them.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Back in my day, we acted out our characters. AND WE LIKED IT! :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/