Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I don't agree with Sessler on everything but I respect him as a gaming journalist.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

aaron wrote:
irixith wrote:
Valkyrie-Favor wrote:Emulators are often better than the real thing.

Oooooh, likely unpopular on a retro game forum, but I totally agree with you.

i agree with this, too.

I'm sorry but this is a pretty big "NO WAY? NO WAY!" one for me. While I can definitely see an argument being made for 3D games (being able to render them at a higher resolution, etc) and maybe handhelds, (you're likely playing on a much better screen when emulating than whatever the handhelds had) but for the vast majority of 2D consoles I really don't see how emulation can be "better." The best they can possibly do is be as good as the original hardware.

I could see an argument for having only one console loaded with emulators as opposed to a giant mess of wires to hook up 20 as well, but on a single emulator vs console comparison, I see pretty much zero reason why I'd want to play bsnes over an actual snes.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

- I think Monkey Ball games are terrible

- I have always wondered how Ecco was so popular, I think it is boring

- I generally do not care for platformers

- DLC isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. And many fail to realize if the revenue stream for the DLC wasn't there, we would simply not get that content.

- Since everyone else has talked Final Fantasy, I think XII is better than X and IX is better than VII.

- Diablo 3 is a great game and while it doesn't do some things the way I like, it streamlines and upgrades a bunch of things from previous titles I would struggle to do without.

- I dislike the Dreamcast and have sold every one I have picked up. The games just do not appeal to me, by and large. The few that do, I can get on other consoles.

- The Rainbow Six Vegas games may be my favorite shooters this generation. It is a toss up between those and Gears.

- The Vita is awesome
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Oh another one:

-It might be related to my dislike of the controller, but Dreamcast just doesn't do much of anything for me. I pick up games when I find them on it and I've got no plans to get rid of it or anything, but I vastly prefer my Saturn.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

AppleQueso wrote:I could see an argument for having only one console loaded with emulators as opposed to a giant mess of wires to hook up 20 as well, but on a single emulator vs console comparison, I see pretty much zero reason why I'd want to play bsnes over an actual snes.

For the $80 I spent on my Wii, I get NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Turbografx, Turbo CD, GB, GBA, and access to GC/Wii/WiiWare games, all with beautiful Component out, in 480p. If I want to plug it into my CRT, then I get beautiful component out in 240p.

Sure, I imagine you could buy enough upscalers and scart>RGB connectors to get each of those systems looking as good, but it would cost a hell of a lot more than $80 dollars, and it would be a pretty big mess of cables/boxes, not to mention how much all those games would cost. And then there is stuff like battery backups going bad, disc lasers not working correctly, etc.

So, I know I personally would take playing even just one console via the Wii's emulators over the real thing, whether on my CRT or LED, as it would cost me a pretty penny to get my SNES looking as good as the emulator does on my Wii, and thats not counting buying any of the games.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Ack wrote:Super Mario Bros. 2 is more entertaining than Super Mario Bros. 3, and I consider it superior.

The actual Super Mario Bros 2 or Doki Doki Panic?

The quality of any FPS can be judged by the quality of its shotgun.

This is a very sharp comment, I'm impressed.

Team Fortress Classic is superior to Team Fortress 2.

Any particular reasons? They strike me as having very different priorities.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I could see an argument for having only one console loaded with emulators as opposed to a giant mess of wires to hook up 20 as well, but on a single emulator vs console comparison, I see pretty much zero reason why I'd want to play bsnes over an actual snes.

For the $80 I spent on my Wii, I get NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Turbografx, Turbo CD, GB, GBA, and access to GC/Wii/WiiWare games, all with beautiful Component out, in 480p. If I want to plug it into my CRT, then I get beautiful component out in 240p.

Sure, I imagine you could buy enough upscalers and scart>RGB connectors to get each of those systems looking as good, but it would cost a hell of a lot more than $80 dollars, and it would be a pretty big mess of cables/boxes, not to mention how much all those games would cost. And then there is stuff like battery backups going bad, disc lasers not working correctly, etc.

So, I know I personally would take playing even just one console via the Wii's emulators over the real thing, whether on my CRT or LED, as it would cost me a pretty penny to get my SNES looking as good as the emulator does on my Wii, and thats not counting buying any of the games.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what people mean by "better than the real thing."

The fact that it costs less to emulate should be pretty obvious, and wasn't really what I was referring to. I actually do have a fancy RGB scaler setup going on, so yeah, my SNES looks every bit as good on my TV as any emulator running on the Wii might.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

AppleQueso wrote:I'm sorry but this is a pretty big "NO WAY? NO WAY!" one for me. While I can definitely see an argument being made for 3D games (being able to render them at a higher resolution, etc) and maybe handhelds, (you're likely playing on a much better screen when emulating than whatever the handhelds had) but for the vast majority of 2D consoles I really don't see how emulation can be "better." The best they can possibly do is be as good as the original hardware.

I could see an argument for having only one console loaded with emulators as opposed to a giant mess of wires to hook up 20 as well, but on a single emulator vs console comparison, I see pretty much zero reason why I'd want to play bsnes over an actual snes.

- Only one machine hooked up is an obvious one.

- Choice of controller. If I want to play my SNES games with a PS2 controller, I can. If I want to play my Game Boy games on my PSP, I will. Controller preferences vary wildly as we've see on the forum, and the ability to use whatever one feels like at the time is pretty great. If I'm a controller purist, I can plug my SNES controller in via USB. Whooo!

- Save states. One of the features I love so dearly about both my 3DS and Vita is that right in the middle of whatever I'm doing I can put the system into sleep and resume later. I don't have to worry about chasing down a save point. I have very little time for serious long-run gaming these days, and save states allow me the flexibility to play without being hindered by something that would otherwise make the game less enjoyable.

- Cheating, translations, hacks, etc. No need for expensive flash carts with flaky "homebrew" compatibility or repro carts.

- Modern day hookups and support. We all know how much it sucks modifying consoles for s-video/rgb/component, with little flexibility as to how the final image appears on a modern day television. Sure, you can invest in hundreds of dollars worth of video hardware like an XRGB-3...or simply build an emulator box with HDMI out. A Wii with component out. Whatever. Not only do you get control of the output image, you can filter or unfilter as your heart desires.

- Rendering at a higher resolution than designed. Anyone that's played GameCube games on their high-end PC knows about this one. Too bad there are barely any GameCube games worth playing. /That's my unpopular addition to this thread, zing!

- Space restraints. The little hard drive in my emulator box has every game I want to play and then some on it. No fussing with carts or discs, or getting finger goo on precious manuals and boxes. The box itself is smaller than your average retro console.

In terms of compatibility, options and convenience I pretty much see zero reason to avoid an emulator box. :)
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

A lot of that I already said I found pretty reasonable, but I don't have any particular interest in save states or hacks. The controller thing is kinda neat though, I forgot about that one.

Also, while most emulators are more than adequate these days, most of them still aren't quite 100% accurate.
Last edited by AppleQueso on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retrodude
128-bit

Post by Retrodude »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I don't agree with Sessler on everything but I respect him as a gaming journalist.

Adam Sessler is a moron. He went on Feaux News after the Newtown shootings to try and defend the gaming industry and in the course of the debate, he actually said "Don't call them games because they're not for kids, they're for adults" and explained at great length why he would say that. Anyone with half a brain should see the problem with this.

1. It completely ignores the fact that quite a few games come out every year aimed at kids and families, implying that he thinks gaming should be reserved for adult males exclusively.

and

2. He gave proponents of censorship a GIANT piece of ammunition and even if they ignore the rest of what he said, they will replay that clip ad nauseum whenever it suits their purposes to do so.

If we need a representative for the media to interview, we can do a lot better than him.
I'm not a glitch, I just have pixlexia.

Raiiban wrote:That's a moral dilemma. Capitalism has no morals.