Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by Tanooki »

Xeogred wrote:I remember once seeing that redesign out in the wild, didn't they come with the top loaders or something? I've never once used them though, they look very cool. You would think with the reverence of the SNES in all regions, they could have easily used that design from here on out. But yeah like you said, guess they keep banking on nostalgia with the original box controllers.

Yup they did. SNES controller basically with the added useless buttons removed because it's very comfortable to use. I've got a top loader and like 2-3 of those controllers for it and I won't let them go. I can use both fine, I never had a problem with using the boxy controller and any pain like ever, even after like a 4-6hour play run. Since they'd rather forget the thing as it's not iconic, you'll need to just get the NES30 or NES30pro(has twin sticks) from 8bitdo as it's shaped as the as dogbone was.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The redesigned dpad, similar to the SNES, is also rough on thumbs (just like the SNES pad) due to the rounded edges not actually being all that rounded and the texture being like fine plastic sandpaper.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I actually really dislike the angle of the dogbone buttons, that is A being higher than B. It feels awkward, especially when playing run/jump games like Mario. Note how the Super Mario World controls are different, where Y is run and you go down to B to jump. This is so much more comfortable on the thumb.

It's not just Mario though; I think having the jump button higher (rather than lower or even) with the attack button almost always feels awkward.
Last edited by BoneSnapDeez on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

marurun wrote:The redesigned dpad, similar to the SNES, is also rough on thumbs (just like the SNES pad) due to the rounded edges not actually being all that rounded and the texture being like fine plastic sandpaper.

I think I prefer the D-pad on the dog bone controllers just a little bit, if only for the little extra give they have. The D-pad on the SNES controllers still feels similar to the original NES controller's, in that it feels somewhat like I'm grinding my thumb into a brick wall.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I actually really dislike the angle of the dogbone buttons, that is A being higher than B.

I've never really noticed it on the dog bone controllers before, but now that you mention it, I'm probably never going to be able to not notice it--. In general, I agree that I'd rather have the main action buttons lined up at a 135 degree angle, as opposed to a 45 degree angle. It feels a lot more natural, and comfortable.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

pierrot wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I actually really dislike the angle of the dogbone buttons, that is A being higher than B.

I've never really noticed it on the dog bone controllers before, but now that you mention it, I'm probably never going to be able to not notice it--. In general, I agree that I'd rather have the main action buttons lined up at a 135 degree angle, as opposed to a 45 degree angle. It feels a lot more natural, and comfortable.

I'm definitely with you guys on this one. The dogbone would have been even better if the buttons were roughly aligned with the Y/B or X/A buttons of the SNES controller. For some reason a lot of emulators also default to this 'acute angle' button layout for the NES (the A/B buttons if you're looking at an XBOX controller). Generally the first adjustment I make when starting a new NES emulator (or GB, VBA, SMS, PCE, etc.) is to change that layout to a more comfortable setup (X/A).
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

I've grown to prefer modern games to retro titles now. I'm super big on player immersion, pretty graphics, and quality of life enhancements like auto-save. Developers are able to do so much more with today's technology, that I can't get excited about old games apart from the cream of the crop.... like Dexterity on Game Boy!!

AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Nintendork666 wrote:I've grown to prefer modern games to retro titles now.

What are these, "modern games." Is that like something you would play on a Dreamcast, or Gamecube?
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

pierrot wrote:

What are these, "modern games." Is that like something you would play on a Dreamcast, or Gamecube?

Even worse... PC... it even plays all the old stuff, including Gamecube.

The horror! The horror!
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Nintendork666 wrote:
pierrot wrote:

Even worse... PC... it even plays all the old stuff, including Gamecube.

The horror! The horror!

Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

So... Half Life and Half Life 2 (more so 2) are boring as hell. Yeah, doubt that will be popular.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP