Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

by Segata Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:57 pm

marurun wrote:But if you don't understand the quote, what's the point of parroting it?

I do understand it's all of you people who don't understand but think you do. He was reflecting what I said earlier as correct. You people as with most people are not understanding game design. It's fine that you people in this thread don't get it.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
marurun

by marurun Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:16 pm

No, pretty sure you're just out in space. Because it's not like we don't have any software developers here, either. You've been disagreeing with some folks who actually know pretty well how digital systems operate.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Segata wrote:
marurun wrote:But if you don't understand the quote, what's the point of parroting it?

I do understand it's all of you people who don't understand but think you do. He was reflecting what I said earlier as correct. You people as with most people are not understanding game design. It's fine that you people in this thread don't get it.

It's not that complicated. Does the end user experience what would be considered a "turn" or not?

If no then it's kind of irrelevant and not that useful in classifying gameplay mechanics. For example, if I say a game is turn based you generally know what I mean without being pedantic about it.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:08 pm

'You people'
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Segata wrote:

lulz

Exquisite trolling, my man.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Ack

by Ack Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 am

This forum is turn based.
chuckster
32-bit

by chuckster Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:49 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Segata wrote:It's sorta like Diablo. Diablo 1 and 2 are turn-based games where hundreds of turns happen in a frame. If the input is not tied directly to an attack and you need to wait, you're taking a turn.

Dude........ no. "Turn-based" games are defined by a specific type of design, where players and combatants "take turns" which generally play out via a menu system.

The term doesn't simply refer to any game with stat-based combat, or any kind of "waiting." I mean, your definition is so broad that literally any video game could be considered "turn-based."

My outlook right here. Turn-based means something specific. Of course there are twists like any game genre/category, but overall it is distinguished by menu-driven battles where you and any number of enemies take turns while fighting in a distinct state apart from the rest of the game. Anything other than that is.. well something else.
Return to General Gaming