Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
bmoc
Next-Gen

RGB SCART Switch

by bmoc Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:35 pm

I might be getting a Sony PVM in the near future that accepts RGB input so I have been looking into SCART switchboxes. I have 3 consoles that I can hook up to via RGB without modification but I am planning long term so I want a switch with at least 6 inputs.

I have been looking at the Shinybow SB-5525 (warning PDF) and the Keene SCART Commander (two of them daisy-chained). Does anyone here have any experience with either of these two?

I was leaning towards the Shinybow since it would be cheaper and require less cords but I found one user via Google that had problems with getting stereo audio out of theirs. I am wondering if this was just an isolated incident or if it is prone to have this issue. I also could not find the Shmups forum post that this user was referring to in their blog post.

Any feedback is appreciated and I would also look at any other 6+ port RGB switches that come recommended.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: RGB SCART Switch

by bmoc Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:56 am

I decided to necro bump this thread rather than create a new one. I finally purchased the Shinybow SB-5525 6x2 SCART Matrix switch so I wanted to provide an update. I decided on the Shinybow since I acquired a second PVM. Since the SB-5525 has two outputs, I can output any of the six consoles to either of the two PVMs.

I purchased the SB-5525 from http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info ... cts_id=199. I decided to go with ANI-AV rather than having Shinybow USA import one since ANI-AV has them in stock. I also figured returns would be easier if I had an issue since they are located in Texas. Purchasing was easy and shipping was quick. I purchased it on a Friday morning and I received the package the following Tuesday afternoon. They also take Paypal which made it a little easier for me to pay rather than dumping Paypal funds into checking in order to pay my credit card bill.

Now on to the unboxing!

The unopened box:

The opened box:

The manual:

The switch:

Other components: Power brick, standard PC type power cord, 6ft male to male SCART cable, and IR remote with batteries.

As for its operation, I have had no issues. There is no noticeable loss in picture or sound quality. Currently my setup looks like this: Game Consoles --> SB-5525 --> Sync Strike --> Sony PVM-2950Q. When I get some more room, I am going to hook up the second PVM.

So far I am very pleased with it. My only complaint is the price tag. With shipping, it is just shy of $200. I'd recommend it anyone looking for a RGB SCART switch.

I was leaning towards the Shinybow since it would be cheaper and require less cords but I found one user via Google that had problems with getting stereo audio out of theirs. I am wondering if this was just an isolated incident or if it is prone to have this issue. I also could not find the Shmups forum post that this user was referring to in their blog post.

In regards to this, I am still not sure if that person was doing something wrong or if they had a faulty unit but mine is working without a hitch. At the time of this post, that person's website is down.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:00 am

holy crap $175 that's one expensive switch box...
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 am

Indeed it its. :( I wanted to avoid daisy chaining switch boxes so this was the only good option that I could find that was readily available.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:44 pm

If I'd seen this before I would have chimed in sooner. I got the Keene one a while back. It works well with my universal remote - the reason I bought it. I'm really happy with it. They're built for daisy-chaining (literally - there's ports and a kit so remote commands work and the electronics link seamlessly)

Earlier I was using the cheap wedge shaped mechanical ones off EBay - Hama AV Selector 100S - 2 daisychained together. I couldn't discern any signal degredation on them through any of my displays - digital or analog, using transcoders or scalers at any amount of contrast or sharpness settings no matter now hard I tried. They're just fine for any system I ran through them. Here's a link to Videogame Perfection's SCART switch roundup. The sysop knows his stuff.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to General Gaming