14. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) - 3/21/2013
15. Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) 3/21/2013
16. Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram - 3/22/2013
17. Ico (PS2) - 4/13/2013
18. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - 4/18/2013
19. Phantasy Star (Sega Master System) - 4/26/2013
20. Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) - 6/2/2013
21. Journey (PS3) - 6/2/2013

This might be one of my favorite RPGs on the 360. Pretty neat idea for a story, my favorite part was the storytelling done through the dream sequences. Written from the perspective of man who cannot die and has lived over 1000 years, they were pretty moving and painted a picture of life's intricacies. The ring style of combat felt strangely familiar to the gunblade trigger on Final Fantasy VIII. I'm curious if I should take a look at the other Mistwalker games, as I was pretty impressed by this one. If you can find it complete, it was $9 at Gamestop when I found it. It's lengthy, 4 discs, but an incredible experience.

Journey I started last night, with my fiancée in tow. She really enjoyed Limbo, so I figured she'd like the style and feel of Journey. We were both very impressed. I didn't realize that the multiplayer/cooperative experience is so seamless and well-done. This game is going to get another playthrough, I felt so immersed and awestruck by whatever just happened.
Last edited by Blu on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Those who like The 7th Saga should try the sequel, Mystic Ark. Great game. There's also a third game to complete the "trilogy" but it seems to be quite rare and there's no English translation.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Games Beaten 2013
1. BF3(PC)
2. Driver San Fransisco(PC)
3. Inversion(PC)
4. Xcom Enemy Unknown(PC)
5. Lord of the Rings War In the North(PC)
6. Deponia(PC)
7. Medal of Honor(PC)
8. Medal of Honor: Warfigther(PC) AKA Door Breach SIM 2012
9. Kingdom Hearts(PS2) 5/26/13
10. Where's Waldo(NES) 6/2/13

Was testing it out and ended up running through a game. Have to say it is hard to decipher where the hell Waldo is when the only difference between him and 90% people is a dot or 2.
kelsoanim
32-bit

Post by kelsoanim »

I've been neglecting this thread and I've actually been beating quite a few games. I'll give an update with brief thoughts on what I beat in May.

January
1. Journey (PSN)
2. Nano Assault (3DS)

February
3. Dishonored (PC)
4. Rayman Origins (360)
5. Wave Race 64
6. Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed (WiiU)
7. Professor Layton and the Last Specter (NDS)

March
8. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (NDS)
9. Gunman Clive (3DS)

April
10. Monster Tale (NDS)
11. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
12. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

May
13. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
14. Castlevania (3DS VC)
15. Kirby's Dream Land (GBC)
16. Liberation Maiden (3DSDL)
17. Super Metroid (SNES)
18. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
19. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)

TMNT IV - Awesome game, so much fun.

Castlevania - Very proud of myself for beating this. I played on Virtual Console, but only used the saves at continue points. And thank god for infinite continues. Died so much at the final boss battle, but once I figured out the tricks to beating both forms it didn't take too long to take Drac down.

Kirby's Dream Land - Really missed ability copy but it was fun and cool to see where it all started.

Liberation Maiden - A cool game, but it doesn't really go anywhere. It's also really short so all in all it's just a fun distraction.

Super Metroid - First time seriously playing the game. Soooo good. This is the game that first got the "Metroid formula" right. It's probably still the best too after all these years.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - One of my favorite all time games beat for the first time. I love, love the game. I was surprised at how easy the final castle and boss battle were, especially considering the levels leading up to it (which are easier if you have some Leaves, P-Wings or Clouds handy...)

Super Mario Bros. 2 - Fun game but definitely my least favorite in the series. It's obvious that it's not really a Mario game. Level design is bizarre and not enjoyable in some areas. Still I'm glad to have beat it. Now I've just got to play through New Super Mario Bros. 2 and I'll have beat every 2D and 3D Mario platformer.
A-B-P. A-always, B-be, P-platforming. Always be platforming! Always be platforming!!
My Game Room - My Game Collection
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Sniper Elite V2 (PS3)(TPS)
2. Teen Agent (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
3. Alpha Protocol (PS3)(RPG)
4. Beneath A Steel Sky (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
5. Imscared - A Pixelated Nightmare (PC)(Horror)
6. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (SNES)(RPG)
7. Celestial Mechanica (PC)(Platformer)
8. Gravity Bone (PC)(First Person Adventure)
9. Secret of Mana (SNES)(RPG)
10. Lure of the Temptress (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
11. Mario's Early Years: Fun With Numbers (SNES)(Edutainment)
12. CoD of Duty (PC)(FPS)
13. The Bard's Tale (PS2)(RPG)
14. The Great Circus Mystery, Starring Mickey and Minnie (SNES)(Platformer)
15. Deus Ex (PC)(FPS)
16. The King of the Wood (PC)(FPS)
17. Shadows of the Damned (PS3)(Horror Adventure)
18. Chuck Rock (SNES)(Platformer)
19. Arcana (SNES)(RPG)
20. Jurassic Park (SNES)(Action-Adventure)
21. Brawl Brothers (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
22. Monopoly (SNES)(Boardgame)
23. Dr. Mario (SNES)(Puzzle)
24. Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (SNES)(Platformer)
25. Breath of Fire (SNES)(RPG)
26. The Death and Return of Superman (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
27. Battle Blaze (SNES)(Fighting)
28. Todd McFarlane's Spawn: The Video Game (SNES)(Action-Adventure)
29. Mario's Early Years: Fun With Letters (SNES)(Edutainment)
30. Dwarfs!? (PC)(I have no idea)
31. Super Adventure Island (SNES)(Platformer)
32. Batman Returns (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
33. Pit-Fighter (SNES)(Fighting)
34. Lester the Unlikely (SNES)(Platformer)
35. Killing Floor (PC)(FPS)
36. Dungeons of Dredmor (PC)(RPG)
37. The 7th Saga (SNES)(RPG)
38. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)(Platformer)
39. Super Mario Bros. 3, via Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (SNES)(Platformer)

So, I have beaten the first two of the ten games in my Summer Challenge. Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario Bros. 3 are both widely respected platformers which should never be played back to back because of how different the jumping mechanics feel. After DKC, I felt like I was floating in mid-air with Mario, vaulting through the clouds and repeatedly careening right off the far end of the platform I was trying to reach. It took a few hours to get the hang of it again.

Anyway, I'll keep my thoughts on these quite brief, since most people on this forum have at least played these games, and I would highly doubt anyone here has not at least heard the name.

Donkey Kong Country:

Unfortunately it doesn't feel as polished as DKC2 to me, and I found myself missing many of the abilities that appeared in later games. I do like that Donkey and Diddy had some large differences in what they could do, but at times the game became noticeably more difficult if I did not have the correct character selected (or present). Also, the inability to switch characters while on special platforms proved intensely annoying, especially when I could have benefited from Donkey's bulk or Diddy's agility on the fly. It's a good game, sure, but I prefer DKC2, and if nothing else, DKC3 at least had a more interesting world design.

Super Mario Bros. 3:

Truthfully, I still prefer US SMB2 (you know, Doki Doki Panic), though SMB3 has a lot going for it. But after so much DKC, Mario moves like he is in a wuxia film. That said, I love the art design of the game, the music, the visuals, the maps of each world to show level layouts, and all the interaction you have with it. SMB3 is an excellent game that does a lot with the NES hardware. And there is so much hidden in it that a fan could spend days just trying everything in each map to find where to get a new Warp Whistle, or another 1up, or a nice new P-Wing. Bravo, Nintendo.

Oh, at 40 do I start spoiler tagging my list? Or is that usually at 50 that we start doing that?
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

I'm actually at the last world on SMB3 for the Super Mario All-Star Edition. One day I stopped playing it for a week, played Super Mario World for a half hour, and then went to SMB3 and the physics different just threw me way off. The world 8 stages were too much for my rusty hands to deal with :(.
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

1-25
1. Liberation Maiden (3DS) - 1/6
2. Dead Space (360) - 1/11
3. Anarchy Reigns (360) - 1/13
4. Dead Space 2 (360) - 1/17
5. Dead Space 2: Severed DLC (360) - 1/17
6. DmC Devil May Cry (360) - 1/22
7. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3) - 2/5
8. CoD of Duty (Web) - 2/7
9. Dragon's Dogma (360) - 2/12
10. Medal of Honor: Warfighter (360) - 2/13
11. Dead Space 3 (360) - 2/18
12. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (360) - 3/5
13. Sonic the Fighters (XBLA) - 3/10
14. Tomb Raider (360) - 3/12
15. Ridiculous Fishing (iOS) - 3/17
16. Bioshock Infinite (Steam) - 4/7
17. Trials Evolution (XBLA) - 4/9
18. Bit.Trip Presents... Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (XBLA) - 4/15
19. Injustice: Gods Among Us (360) - 4/16
20. BattleBlock Theater (XBLA) - 4/21
21. Guacamelee! (Vita) - 4/21
22. Surgeon Simulator 2013 (Steam) - 5/3
23. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (XBLA) - 5/4
24. Thomas Was Alone (Vita) - 5/11
25. The Starship Damrey (3DS) - 5/19

26. Stuntman: Ignition (360) - 5/22
27. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (360) - 5/26
28. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (Steam) - 5/31
29. Resident Evil: Revelations (360) - 6/3
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

1. Batman Genesis
2. Golden Axe Sega CD
3. Streets if Rage Sega CD (I'm keeping the typo)
4. Streets of Rage 2 Genesis
5. Super Mario Bros. 2 NES
6. TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan Gameboy
7. TMNT 2 The Arcade Game NES
8. TMNT Hyperstone Heist Genesis
9. Call of Duty Black Ops 360
10. Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis
11. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Genesis
12. Sonic CD Sega CD
13. Kung-Fu NES
14. Mega Man 2 NES
15. Out of This World SNES
16. Flashback SNES
17. Altered Beast Genesis
18. Pit-Fighter Genesis
19. Aladdin Genesis
20. Aladdin SNES
21. Ghosts n' Goblins NES, twice
22. Contra NES
23. Bionic Commando NES
24. Strider NES
25. Batman NES
26. Duck Tales NES
27. Ninja Gaiden NES x 2
28. Super Mario Bros. 3 NES
29. Lakers Vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs Genesis
30. Jackal NES
31. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! NES
32. Bayou Billy NES
33. Skate or Die NES
34. Captain Skyhawk NES
35. Super Mario Bros. NES
36. Friday The 13th NES
37. Totally Rad NES
38. Shatterhand NES
39. Twisted Metal Black PS2

40. Tekken 3 Bleamcast
41. Tekken Tag Tournament PS2
42. Tekken 4 PS2
43. Tekken 5 PS2
44. Tekken 6 360
45. Pro Wrestling NES
46. Tecmo Wrestling NES
47. Tag Team Wrestling NES
48. Marvel's Ultimate Alliance 2 360
49. Jurassic Park Genesis
50. Excitebike NES
51. Willy Beamish Sega CD
52. Sewer Shark Sega CD
53. Jurassic Park Sega CD
54. Star Wars Rebel Assault Sega CD
55. NHL '94 Sega CD
56. Spider-Man vs. Kingpin Sega CD
57. Ironsword NES *new*

Ironsword is nothing like I remembered it being when I was a kid. I could have sworn I could beat the game in a half hour. Not these days.

The controls are exactly like I remembered them, but I forgot that the game is a bit complex for a NES game. Also forgot how huge the bosses are, and that it was made by Rare.

Not in my top 50 NES games, but would probably make it in my top 100.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Samurai Warriors Chronicles -3DS

Fuck this game. Once you get to chapter 3 this becomes one of the cheapest fucking games I've ever played. You have enemies that don't flinch from your attacks, cheap enemy officer AI that blocks every fucking thing you throw at it waiting for some peon to hit you in the back, regular troops that are cheaper than the fucking officers, cheap trial and error bullshit events in every stage, and the list goes on and on. Imagine every cheap thing you could think of in an action game. It's all here.

It's an aggravating game that isn't fun to play AT ALL. Also, pretty much everything that annoyed me about the first fucking Samurai Warriors game on the PS 2 still plagues this series. THERE IS TOO MUCH FUCKING SHIT GOING ON IN EVERY LEVEL.

"Go protect this guy!"

10 seconds later

"Go secure that enemy base!"

5 seconds later

"Go and kill that officer"

3 seconds later

"You didn't protect that guy!"

2 seconds later

"Someone's invading your main camp! Why the fuck weren't you there!"

1 second later

"You didn't secure the enemy base!"

.5 seconds later

"Oh shit, some ninja guy just assassinated your commander. Game over. You suck! Hope you're enjoying the anal raping this game is giving you!" *troll face*

Fuck the Samurai Warriors series, it'll never be as fun as the Dynasty Warriors games because it's trying too hard to be challenging and it just sucks all the fun out of the games. Everything feels so forced. You need to do every battle in a VERY specific way, or the entire battle is completely rigged against you in every single way. Trial and error. Trial and error. Trial and error. Trial and error. The missions you are expected to complete in each stage are ridiculous missions that you are given like FIVE FUCKING SECONDS TO PULL OFF. You'll be notified that you need to stop some asshole from attacking your base right when he is about five seconds transit time to the base's entrance and you're somehow supposed to stop him in time

Ugh, I hope Dynasty Warriors Next on Vita is better than this. Samurai Warriors Chronicles has reminded me why I always spent more time with the Dynasty Warriors series instead of the Samurai Warriors series, at least the DW games give you a FUCKING CHANCE to succeed and actually allow enough time in most battles to actually have fun slaughtering people instead of constantly running back and forth across the map trying to keep up with the fifty fucking missions being constantly thrown at you. Samurai Warriors Chronicles is basically, "Go here!" "Do this!" "Now go there" "Kill that!" "Hurry the fuck up!" "Jesus we only gave you six missions at the same time. Can't you handle that pussy!"

You're given errand after errand in each stage and there's always a strict, aggravating time limit on everything. You can never fucking relax for a second. And of course the rest of your army is useless. Par for the course in ALL Warriors games.

Fuck this game
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Luke wrote:Ironsword is nothing like I remembered it being when I was a kid. I could have sworn I could beat the game in a half hour. Not these days.

The controls are exactly like I remembered them, but I forgot that the game is a bit complex for a NES game. Also forgot how huge the bosses are, and that it was made by Rare.

I have that game, and I used to be able to defeat 3 of the 4 elementals on a continue and try to make it to the end without dying again because you can't use the other continue once you get past the Earth elemental. Those 4 elemental heads on the top of the mountain mess me up every time.

Still, a classic from Rare! I like going to a shop without any money.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.