Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
dsheinem wrote:[NES-NES-NES-NES-NES-NES-NES-NES-----C-C-C-C-COMBO Breaker!

:lol:

Luke...I had the exact same reaction to Twisted Metal Black when I "completed" it a few years ago. I think that the game would have been much better if the developers had simply cut all of the cinematics. The gameplay is still great, however.

Truth is, I always thought the stories were juvenile. Still love the series though.

And I need to get back to SNES gaming. I have a lot of catching up to do!
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Man, I've actually played plenty of stuff lately, but haven't actually beaten any of it. :X

Need to get to work on that, especially after getting off to such a nice start burning through those MGS games so quickly...
Ack

Post by Ack »

AppleQueso wrote:Man, I've actually played plenty of stuff lately, but haven't actually beaten any of it. :X

Need to get to work on that, especially after getting off to such a nice start burning through those MGS games so quickly...

Same here. I got to 4-2 in Super Adventure Island the other day and level 4 of 5 in Kid Klown in Crazy Chase a few days before that. I need to just push myself to finish them.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Luke...I had the exact same reaction to Twisted Metal Black when I "completed" it a few years ago. I think that the game would have been much better if the developers had simply cut all of the cinematics. The gameplay is still great, however.

The cinematic features are perfectly suited for those who shop at Hot Topic or those who have watched THE CROW a hundred times. Nothing against that crowd, but I'm not in it.

The game itself is a lot of fun, mostly due to the interactive environments and laughable carnage. Even though I played the game over, and over, and over, and over, I know I didn't find all the hidden secrets in the game, which miffs me.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

1. Medal of Honor Allied Assault Spearhead - PC (January 2)
2. America's Army - Arcade (January 12) - 1cc!
3. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - Gamecube (January 26)
4. Dragon Spirit - NES (February 7) - 1cc!
5. Final Fantasy - (by way of DoS) - GBA (March 15)
6. Wing Commander - PC (March 21)
7. Medal of Honor European Assault - Gamecube (March 30)
8. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - Gamecube (April 6)
9. *NEW* Half-Life - PC (April 25)

This month's TR game caused me to take a look back and to truly realize how fresh this FPS was in a sea of "been there, done that" titles in the late 90s.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

jinx wrote:Any reason why Shatterhand has suddenly become so popular? Several people on my Facebook have mentioned it and one of the local game stores also said it's been asked about a lot over the past couple weeks. People that don't even know much about retro games even mentioned it.

All just a really weird coincidence? :lol:

I've noticed the up-tick as well. It was featured not too long ago on Continue? which might have contributed to it. Best moment there is at 13:24 when they discover that obtaining the same symbols twice gets you the special power suit.

I'd group S.C.A.T and Shadow of the Ninja along with Shatterhand as the 1990-1991 trinity of Natsume NES awesomeness. I'd also add Abadox to that.

Plus, you can't deny the awesome music!
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

ExedExes wrote:9. *NEW* Half-Life - PC (April 25)

This month's TR game caused me to take a look back and to truly realize how fresh this FPS was in a sea of "been there, done that" titles in the late 90s.

There was a lot more diversity in 1990s FPS games than in modern ones. Even most Doom clones were original compared to the endless stream of space marine/modern warfare/WW2 shooters of this generation. Games like Redneck Rampage, Killing Time and Po'ed are just some examples of mediocre shooters of that time that didn't do anything new but still were imaginative when it comes to setting. Majority of games of any given genre don't do anything new or revolutionary.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Menegrothx wrote:There was a lot more diversity in 1990s FPS games than in modern ones. Even most Doom clones were original compared to the endless stream of space marine/modern warfare/WW2 shooters of this generation. Games like Redneck Rampage, Killing Time and Po'ed are just some examples of mediocre shooters of that time that didn't do anything new but still were imaginative when it comes to setting. Majority of games of any given genre don't do anything new or revolutionary.

Good point, at least there was a lot more "imagination" when it came to that stuff. FPS are way too realistic these days. Looking back, I'd much rather do more FPS that I might have missed from that time period. H-L could have easily been a platformer and an FPS, I've never seen so much jumping and climbing and all sorts of moves you had to perform just to proceed in a stage.
Raiiban
24-bit

Post by Raiiban »

2013 Games Beaten
Yakuza 4 (PS3)
Hotline Miami (PC)
Disgaea 4 (PS3)
Quest of Ki (Famicom)
Flow Free (Android)
Ni no Kuni (PS3)
Bad Dudes (NES)
Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn)
Sexy Parodius (Saturn)
Ys 1 Chronicles + (PC)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Umihara Kawase (Super Famicom)
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed (PC)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (PS3)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
Atlantis no Nazo (Famicom)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (PS3)
4/14: Bioshock Infinite (PC)
4/18: Panorama Cotton (MegaDrive)
4/25 Maruchen Adventure Cotton 100% (Super Famicom)

Hadn't had enough Cotton after just playing Panorama. I wasn't feeling good today and called out of work sick, so I played it at home in between naps. Despite it being an incredibly short game it kept me occupied and happy.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2013
Twisted Metal - PS1
Twisted Metal 2 - PS1
Twisted Metal III - PS1
Twisted Metal 4 - PS1
Screaming Mad George's Paranoiascape - PS1
N.O.V.A. - PSP
Jetpack Joyride - Vita
Devil May Cry (2013) - 360
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Fighting Masters - Genesis
Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii
Cruis'n - Wii
Foosball 2012 - Vita
Electronic Table Soccer! - Odyssey2
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown -PS3
Asura's Wrath - PS3
Showdown in 2100 A.D. - Odyssey2
CoD of Duty - PC
Little Big Planet Karting - PS3
Gattling Gears - PS3
Monster Maulers - Arcade (MAME)
Angry Birds Rio - iOS
The Last Story - Wii
Retro/Grade - PS3
Sonic Fighters - 360
Spec Ops: The Line - PS3
God of War: Ascension - PS3
Bioshock Infinite - PS3
Half-Life: Source - PC
Guacamelee - Vita
Tekken 6 - PSP
Half-Life: Blue Shift - PC
Power Stone - PSP *new*
Power Stone 2 - PSP *new*

Total: 34

Games Beaten: 2012 2011 2010

I have owned and sold these games many times over on the Dreamcast and could just never get into them. The controller didn't feel right, the sprites were ugly, the camera was wonky, or something. In the last two days, playing them on the Vita via the PSP port (the Power Stone Collection) was a revelation. What a great series, and what a fun romp. I was wrong about these games, and can see going back to them often :)