Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by Luke Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Ack wrote:I can understand that. You've already beaten DuckTales, so might I recommend Rescue Rangers for a bit?

Unfortunately I don't own Rescue Rangers. Poop, I know.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Luke: When you go back to it, be sure to use the extra lives code to make the game marginally less difficult and be sure to hit the warps on Level 4 and Level 6.

NEVER!

Sure, codes and warp zones are there for a reason (recently beat smb using warps, but only to see if I remembered the last dungeon's pattern) but I want to play through the entire game. I'm a video game purist at heart, and if I feel like I cheated, beating a game becomes meaningless.
Ack

by Ack Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Luke wrote:
Ack wrote:I can understand that. You've already beaten DuckTales, so might I recommend Rescue Rangers for a bit?

Unfortunately I don't own Rescue Rangers. Poop, I know.

Ah, for shame! Well, what do you plan to move on to instead?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Ack wrote:Ah, for shame! Well, what do you plan to move on to instead?

I fancy myself as a master of Contra games, but since I can't even remember the ending of Super C I may have to re-address my opinion of my Contra gaming prowess.

I also have a strange itch to play Dragon Warrior.
Ack

by Ack Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:09 pm

And here I thought you said you would avoid stressful games!

To be fair, I'm wondering what of my SNES games I should beat next. Since I'm working on a PS2 RPG(and now a PC FPS, Killing Floor), I'm looking for things that are easy to pick up and play. Maybe I'll finally get around to playing through the shoddy Captain America and the Avengers port.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Ack wrote:And here I thought you said you would avoid stressful games!

To be fair, I'm wondering what of my SNES games I should beat next. Since I'm working on a PS2 RPG(and now a PC FPS, Killing Floor), I'm looking for things that are easy to pick up and play. Maybe I'll finally get around to playing through the shoddy Captain America and the Avengers port.

Super C and Dragon Warrior, stressful? Bah. Not a piece of cake, but also not trying to make the perfect creme brulee.

!!!

Ohhh! Captain America and the Avengers on the NES may be my next venture. I think (think) I have the arcade ports for both snes and genesis, but you can't beat the arcade version. That is a cab that I would love to own (maybe tertiary to TMNT or X-MEN).
Ack

by Ack Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Yeah, thought you'd have to chalk the 3-player arcade Aliens vs. Predator up there for me. And I have the SNES AvP game...I guess I should make lists of my SNES collection and divide games into Need To Play, Crappy Games To Play on the Side, and Stuff That I Have No Desire To Play. So I guess Cap is up next, at least for a bit.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Luke wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Luke: When you go back to it, be sure to use the extra lives code to make the game marginally less difficult and be sure to hit the warps on Level 4 and Level 6.

NEVER!

Sure, codes and warp zones are there for a reason (recently beat smb using warps, but only to see if I remembered the last dungeon's pattern) but I want to play through the entire game. I'm a video game purist at heart, and if I feel like I cheated, beating a game becomes meaningless.

Clearing Battletoads will take a lot of practice, and these will certainly help you practice some of the later stages. (Like R-Type, a lot of Battletoads is simple memorization....the warps and lives code will help you with that aspect of the game in preparation for a "pure" run.)

Good luck!

EDIT: I really enjoy reading about your attempts to beat these games. It has been many years since I played through Battletoads, and I am confident that I used both the extra lives code and the warps. I also never played through Bayou Billy, despite the fact I owned it as a child. I just do not have the patience for games that generate challenge through deeply flawed design...I do enjoying reading about your attempts to conquer them, however. Keep up the good work!
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Ack wrote: And I have the SNES AvP game...

I have three factory sealed snes games (I'll open them one of these days) and they are EWJ2, World Heroes, and AVP.

prfsnl_gmr wrote: Keep up the good work!

Thanks duder.

...and after reading your post I might put R-Type (sms) and Super R-Type(snes) on my "to beat" list.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Go with the arcade version of R-Type if at all possible. (It is available on the R-Types disc for the PS1.) Barring that, go with the TG16 version. The SMS version is OK, but it doesn't do the game's excellent soundtrack justice.

Also, R-Type is one of the few shmups is still incredibly difficult even if you feed credits. It is very, very solid challenge, but the game is so well designed that it only occassionaly inspires frustration. I highly recommend it.

Super R-Type (a/k/a R-Type II) is not really that hard...or that good. It is worth playing through, but if you are looking for an R-Type game on your SNES, go with R-Type III: The Third Lightning. It is awesome.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Luke wrote:

NEVER!

Clearing Battletoads will take a lot of practice, and these will certainly help you practice some of the later stages. (Like R-Type, a lot of Battletoads is simple memorization....the warps and lives code will help you with that aspect of the game in preparation for a "pure" run.)

Good luck!

EDIT: I really enjoy reading about your attempts to beat these games. It has been many years since I played through Battletoads, and I am confident that I used both the extra lives code and the warps. I also never played through Bayou Billy, despite the fact I owned it as a child. I just do not have the patience for games that generate challenge through deeply flawed design...I do enjoying reading about your attempts to conquer them, however. Keep up the good work!

Anyone who can beat Battletoads is a better man than me. I've taken down some of the brutal gauntlets on the NES like Ninja Gaiden, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Mega Man, and others I probably don't remember, but I never could make Battletoads submit.

I must have beaten Battlemaniacs on the SNES dozens of times as some sort of redemption :lol:

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Battletoads is a good game, but if it had (a) unlimited continues and (b) a password feature, it might have been the best game on the NES.

You know what? You could make a strong case for that. Most difficult modern games do give you plenty of continues and check points, and it was an amazing game once you looked past its brutal difficulty. I guess that's one of the pros of Super Battletoads, the arcade game. Unlimited credits

I miss this franchise. It was the only thing cooler than the ninja turtles back then. Double Dragon Neon kind of teased me. One of the bosses felt like something out of Battletoads, and I know Wayforward mentioned how much they would have liked having the toads in the game as some kind of DLC.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Return to General Gaming