Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AppleQueso

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by AppleQueso Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:15 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Had to look that up. It's Star Fox 64! Weird...

Wow, you didn't know that Lylat Wars = Star Fox 64? I'm kinda surprised...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Well I'm not some sort of PAL expert or huge Star Fox fan. :lol:
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:21 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Well I'm not some sort of PAL expert or huge Star Fox fan. :lol:

Maybe it's just because I'm a big Nintendo guy in general that I thought it was just plain common knowledge.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Sload Soap wrote:ZUT ALORS!

AppleQueso wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Well I'm not some sort of PAL expert or huge Star Fox fan. :lol:

Maybe it's just because I'm a big Nintendo guy in general that I thought it was just plain common knowledge.

Yeah, I've not heard of it either.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:31 pm

I think it has something to do with a german company called Starvox, so to avoid confusion Starfox on snes was Starwing and Starfox 64 became Lylat Wars. To add to the confusion though the 3DS re-release was called Starfox 64 3D over here and Adventures and Assault retained the Starfox name.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Whatever happened to this Star Fox?

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Don't forget about the Atari 2600 Gauntlet. 8)

I love game title weirdness.

I dunno about Europe, but here in America the Dragon Quest games were renamed Dragon Warrior to avoid copyright conflict with a pen & paper game called DragonQuest. That is, until 2005 or so when Square got rights to use the Dragon Quest name in the US. So the sequel to Dragon Warrior VII is Dragon Quest VIII, the remake of Dragon Warrior IV is Dragon Quest IV... :lol:
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:06 pm

^I also enjoy the Game Boy "Final Fantasy" titles.

1. Mega Man
2. Kirby's Adventure
3. Toejam & Earl
4. Mortal Kombat (SCD)
5. Rockband (Hard)
6. Mega Man 2
7. Metal Storm
8. Little Samson
9. Castlevania
10. Super Mario Bros
11. Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers
12. Contra
13. Super Mario Bros 3
14. Pro Wrestling
15. Ducktales
16. Dragon Spirit
17. Phantasy Star Online Ep 1
18. Batman: Arkham Asylum
19. Tomb Raider
20. Final Fantasy XIII
21. The Last Story
22. Ivy the Kiwi? (Wii)
23. Illusion of Gaia
24. Mushihimesama Futari 1.5/BL (Original) (360)
25. New Super Mario Bros
26. Adventure Time: Hey Ice King, Why'd You Steal our Garbage?!!
27. WarioWare Touched
28. Elite Beat Agents (2-Star Difficulty)
29. Kirby's Epic Yarn
30. Espgaluda
31. Chronoblast (Auto-bomb)
32. Thomas Was Alone
33. Donkey Kong Country Returns
34. New Super Mario Bros Wii
35. Super Mario Land
36. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
37. Rogue Legacy
38. Diablo III
39. Ys Book I
40. Ys Book II
41. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
42. Mega Man Maverick Hunter X

Ys Book II: Excellent. Everything that was good about the first game continued. The addition of magic was well done, and made the boss fights a little better overall, even though they were easier. Ys Books I & II on the TGCD was one of the best gaming experiences I've had. I may be saying this because I am so hyped up, but this easily makes my top 5 rpgs.

Ys III: Wanderes from Ys: While I don't think this is in the same league as Books I & II, I really enjoyed this. Though there is a drastic change in game play, this still really feels like an Ys game (Even though it has nothing to do with Ys itself). Music was very nice (Not I & II nice, again, but very good), the fighting was fun, and there were actually a lot of interesting characters (Dogi!). It was a short, but very enjoyable little game (With some baaad voice acting!)

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X: Finally got the chance to play a remake of one of my favorite games of all time. There are few games that I know well enough to notice every little change in a remake, but this is one of them. The graphics were quite nice (especially on that sweet OLED screen), and did a good job of feeling fresh, but nostalgic. Everything controlled quite well for the most part, my only real complaint goes more to the Vita's D-Pad position than the game itself, as double-tapping to dash just didn't feel as clean. I enjoyed the slight changes they made in the Robot Master's stages overall. I do have to say that leaving all the capsules in the same spots and just changing what armor piece you get feels a bit lazy, but they made up for it with other changes. They made some enemies meaner (The flamethrowers in Storm Eagle's stage), and some easier (Launch Octopus now suffers from Spark Mandrill syndrome),and they added in some new attack patterns for some bosses, all of which was done well. The "Sigma" stages are where this remake really took me by surprise, as they are all completely different than the original game, aside the bosses. I can see why some may not like this, but I had a blast playing through 3 all new stages with X at full power. Maverick Hunter X surpassed my expectations, and was so good that I am already starting up another file in Hard mode, with the secret character (Two more features of this remake that I haven't even touched yet!)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Glad you enjoyed Ys so much. I still need the Turbo CD Ys III. Time for Ys IV? :wink:
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:19 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Glad you enjoyed Ys so much. I still need the Turbo CD Ys III. Time for Ys IV? :wink:

I wish I had held onto my Ys I & II and Ys III Turbo CDs :(

Definitely going on to Ys IV, the question is... which one?
Return to General Gaming