Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by Jmustang1968 Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:50 pm

dunpeal2064 wrote:Jmustang, do you consider fighting games beatable?

Those are another tough genre to define beatable. Some have some defined story modes where you face an exclusive boss. I could see someone making a compelling case the game was beat to defeat the final boss.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:59 pm

You have to set your own "beaten" state with sports and fighting games. For me, I always considered a Pro Evo Soccer game beaten once I'd won the Master League, Champions league and Cup triple, and won the world cup and european championship. There isn't really anything else to do in the game after that. NFL games don't really give you this option so a Super Bowl win is the endgame, surely?

If a fighting game has things to unlock like Tekken 2, then once those bits are unlocked I consider that beat. Otherwise a run through with each character, containing at least one one credit run.

Ninja Gaiden(SMS)

This is a really solid game for the master system. It is very responsive and quick and the pace is kept up across the games quite lengthy seven levels. It looks great I think, a real showcase for the SMS with some really lush backdrops on some stages. It's also a fair challenge, it took me about four attempts to get through but each time I had that feeling that I really understood the game more and more. There are some super cheap enemies but mostly it's a fair game. Some of the bosses are a bit lame though, one sits in a chair and lets you pummel him to death. The tit.

Mario Kart 64

All cups done on 150cc. Probably the only game I'm actually good at. Still love it, still my favourite Mario Kart and knocks most of the following entries into a cocked hat. For whatever reason I cannot imagine playing as anyone but Yoshi.

Super Mario 64

I had today off and I wanted a nice comforting game to play. I couldn't put it down and managed to get the 70 stars required to beat Bowser. An absolute joy, and still my favourite Mario game. Nintendo just made all the right decisions when translating Mario into 3D.

Merry Xmas, Racketeers!
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Sload, Madden has a bunch of modes.

Connected franchise mode you are an owner or coach of a team for decades. You draft players, experience free agency, and evolve your roster each year. There is also a single player mode where you develop a player and only play as him.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:Sload, Madden has a bunch of modes.

Connected franchise mode you are an owner or coach of a team for decades. You draft players, experience free agency, and evolve your roster each year. There is also a single player mode where you develop a player and only play as him.

those modes suck
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:29 pm

dsheinem wrote:

those modes suck

Which mode do you play?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

those modes suck

Which mode do you play?

the ones that don't suck
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Finished The King of Dragons on PSP last night. Great beat 'em up. Gonna tackle Knights of the Round this evening.

And while I haven't been keeping a list of 2013 games beaten I shall next year and I guarantee that list will contain some fighting games, loopers, credit-feeders, MMOs, and sports games. Prepare yourself.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:24 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:And while I haven't been keeping a list of 2013 games beaten I shall next year and I guarantee that list will contain some fighting games, loopers, credit-feeders, MMOs, and sports games. Prepare yourself.

Cool games played list bro!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:02 pm

FIFA games have similar modes. They suck there as well. And online consists of everyone either picking Barcelona or Man City and being sworn at in french. ZUT ALORS!

I'm playing ESPN NFL 2k5 currently, and when I win the super bowl in franchise mode as the Packers I will consider it beat. I don't feel I should have to grind through as every team to give a verdict on the games qualities.

It has other modes of course, but that's more for the completionists. The franchise mode gives you the best overall feel of the game and a goal to work towards in single-player. I feel I could happily make a judgement call on the game after that.

Also between this post and my last I beat Lylat Wars, middle path. :mrgreen:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Had to look that up. It's Star Fox 64! Weird...
Return to General Gaming