Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by dsheinem Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 pm

noiseredux wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:I'm actually starting to believe that point and click adventure games are the best genre to introduce someone to gaming. Anyone who has enough skill with a mouse and keyboard to browse the internet can play a PC adventure game

some people can't seem to get into them.

dc4eva was rightfully banned as a result
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 pm

dsheinem wrote:dc4eva was rightfully banned as a result

Point and click adventure games made him have seizures.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Kirby Mass Attack - (DS)
Shining Force - (Mega Drive)

Just finished Shining Force, and I think I'm going to share my thoughts on it in a backward sort of way:
I'd been feeling like going through some old-school SRPG games, and decided on taking up the Shining Force series. After finishing the first one, I wasn't too sure I would have it in me to play the rest of them, but for whatever reason, I decided to pop in Shining Force II just to poke around for a second. Yeah, okay. Now I think I'll make it through the series

After watching the (rather long) intro sequence that preceded the title screen, and walking around in the beginning of Shining Force II, I noticed that just about every flaw that kept me from feeling ways about the first game had been fixed or polished: My ears don't hate me, I don't have to fumble with the stupid NES DQ menu to talk to people and examine bookshelves, I can walk behind the walls! (Praise Jesus.)

Okay, so Shining Force is a wonderful game in it's own right. It felt a lot like the inspiration for a wealth of popular RPG series of later generations (I got a pretty heavy original Suikoden vibe, and Lindo Lindo reminds me exactly of one of the towns in Tales of Symphonia) and it borrows some DQ elements (horrible, horrible menus) and in a way, the job system from the original Final Fantasy. I don't know if I really have any praise for the game though. It kept me coming back for reasons I don't entirely understand, and of late I've had a hard time investing more than Action/Adventure games' lengths of time into things, so that's something. It's a pretty bland game, though. Progress is a straight line from start to finish, and the story is cliched to say the least. The music was working my last nerve by the end of the game, also. There are probably about seven or eight tracks in the game, and you'll become most acquanted with the battle theme, as the battles are far from short, and the theme is not exactly long. (I still have it stuck in my head as I type this, and I imagine it will stay there for quite some time.)

There's really very little going on in Shining Force that isn't in hundreds of other games already. It feels a bit like a prototype SRPG to me (an extremely good prototype, mind) so I don't know that I'll ever really feel like revisiting it, but there are much worse experiences to be had in spending 20-some-odd hours with a game. I am very excited about getting into Shining Force II, after seeing how improved it appears to be over the original, though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 pm

I absolutely adored the first Shining Force (we played through it for TR last year). I haven't tried any of the sequels yet (except Shining Wisdom, which is an ARPG). But honestly, I loved the first Shining Force so much I've thought of replaying it since.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:12 pm

Yeah? I don't quite get the draw. I definitely didn't hate the game, but it felt relatively average to me in a lot of ways. If it weren't for my constant drive to power things up, I very likely may have given up after the umpteen-millionth time I suicided my main character to grind levels.

I guess I just don't find that it has a whole lot of depth. Enough to keep me playing, but not quite enough to make me really get excited.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:14 pm

I don't know the draw exactly. Though I am a sucker for SRPG's to begin with. I just love the whole "dudes on a grid" / RPG-as-chess thing. So there's that.

The music is great too, haha.

I was just very compelled to continue in a "just ONE MORE battle" kind of way I guess.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Haha, yeah. I got into those grooves a lot too, but I guess they felt somewhat hollow for me.

I actually liked the music to begin with, but after a while I was begging (praying) for another battle theme. Then I got one, and that one got repetitive too. Also the town and castle themes. Just not enough variety in the soundtrack for me.
Ack

by Ack Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 pm

1. Sniper Elite V2 (PS3)(TPS)
2. Teen Agent (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
3. Alpha Protocol (PS3)(RPG)
4. Beneath A Steel Sky (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
5. Imscared - A Pixelated Nightmare (PC)(Horror)

Imscared is pretty simple. It's a first person horror game with relatively simple controls: WASD moves you, the mouse makes you look around, shift is run, left ctrl is crouch, and E interacts with things. Sight range is limited, and there is no way to boost the sensitivity, so you're a bit slow to look around and suffer a minimal field of vision. And the graphics aren't flashy. Yet this is easily one of the scariest games I've played in a while, because it manages to break rules in games that we take for granted.

First, when you open a program, you expect it to be the same. Same intro, same levels, etc. Consistency is key. Imscared violates this rule very quickly by changing the game up when you start it and exit out, which it will make you do. When you think you've won, you haven't. At times you may quit, thinking you've beaten it, only to have the program reopen and show you how doomed you are. It generates text files to talk to you and apologize to you. It generates images of its central villain, the pixelated skull that is only known as White Face. These actions violate the rules that most games go by: everything is contained within the game, and when you quit, it is over. Not so with Imscared. You'll know it is over when you can no longer open the program.

Second, this game is not afraid to manipulate your perceptions. Rooms will change, blood will soak the floors, doors will vanish. White Face will suddenly appear in front of you or laugh in your ear. A subtitle will beg your forgiveness. The game even begins with an apology from...who knows? The game creator? White Face? A victim? Such effects unnerve and unsettle the player in a way that is subtle yet sublime.

Third, sound is your friend and your enemy. Sound will herald White Face's coming, as his low growl amps up while he stalks you...and yet sometimes it will suddenly sound as if he is right behind you only to vanish in an instant. You make footsteps as you walk, yet they seem to lag behind you a half-second, as if they were not your own. Music eerily filters through the air and haunts your ears. I suggest you play with headphones.

Oh, and the game seems quite technically limited, which only works to its advantage. You cannot see beyond a narrow field of vision, so you must listen and hope. And White Face is only a simple face, a hovering skull which seems locked in an eternal grimace with no frames of animation to benefit him. Yet he seems entirely merciless and unyielding as a result. He stalks from the corner of your vision and watches through the windows. He slinks towards you and then vanishes without a trace. He is the stuff of nightmares, an ivory unblinking abomination in graphics that would have looked dated on the Super Nintendo.

Go play Imscared. It's genius.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

by Nintendork666 Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:52 am

1. Amazing Spider-man (PS3)

Now it's time to swing around the city, collecting the rest of the comic books, locked suits, and whatever else.
PC [Xeon 1231 + RTX 2070] O.G. Xbox PSP 3000Image
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

by FerretGamer Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:11 pm

New games in bold.

January:

1/2 - Spec Ops: The Line - PS3
1/3 - flOw - PS3
1/4 - Flower - PS3
1/7 - Journey - PS3
1/9 - WET - PS3
1/13 - CTR: Crash Team Racing - PS1
1/16 - Asura's Wrath - PS3

Take one part beat 'em up, another part shoot 'em up, and throw in lots of quick time events and you generally have Asura's Wrath gameplay covered. However, the game is presented in such a manner that makes you feel like you are playing an interactive anime.

The game splits up the story in episodes complete with commercial breaks, to be continued, previews of the next episode, and intro/ending credits. The game is over the top and it takes pride in that which is what makes the experience so enjoyable. In fact, I actually enjoyed the story despite how ridiculous it may seem at times.

Asura's Wrath is also quite a sight to look at. The graphics are very crisp, clean, and detailed for the most part. There wasn't much here that felt lackluster and the overall presentation is just top notch. The same goes for the soundtrack and voice acting. There are some definite memorable tunes. In particular, I really enjoyed the music from
the battle with Augus and Yasha's sort-of western style theme song.

It is refreshing to see Capcom publish something that is a little more outside of the safe-zone that they have stayed in for far too long. I also have to give props to Cyber Connect 2 for putting together a unique and fun package with Asura's Wrath. Then again, I knew I was going to have a good time given their past work dating back as early as Tail Concerto.

In the end, given the price that I paid, it was well worth it. I won't, however, be purchasing any of the additional DLC (and apparently there is a lot of it.)
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
Return to General Gaming