Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by dsheinem Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 am

flex wood wrote:
dsheinem wrote: nova

Doesn't nova come pre installed on every Android phone?

i have no idea. I haven't really enjoyed an FPS with touch controls, though. Plus I don't care for Android. So the PSPmini (played on Vita) is all I can vouch for.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:45 am

Xeogred wrote:Wow had no idea Final Fight was on that many platforms... ZX Spectrum? lmao, wow.

Watch this and see just how many ports Final Fight *really* had.

o.pwuaioc wrote:You could get the SFC "Final Fight Guy". It's pretty cheap, actually.

I remember when that was only available for rental at Blockbuster Video. You're damn right I played that. Same game as the original, but... GUY!!!!!

dunpeal2064 wrote:Mega Man 2: Damn, what an amazing game. Having never played either 1 or 2 until this year, I can finally understand why 2 is as heralded as it is. Literally every aspect of the game was improved. The music, the bosses, the weapons, everything! The end stages are just insane, even more so than the MM I am most familiar with (MMX). I really had fun with this one, and will definitely return to face the "Difficult" difficulty at some point.

That means you're gonna go to Mega Man 3 next!!!!! As good and as recognized as best-of-series as MM2 is, I really like MM3 more.

This is great, everyone's feeling the Capcom love, I couldn't be prouder!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

by FerretGamer Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:05 pm

New games in bold.

January:

1/2 - Spec Ops: The Line - PS3
1/3 - flOw - PS3
1/4 - Flower - PS3
1/7 - Journey - PS3
1/9 - WET - PS3
1/13 - CTR: Crash Team Racing - PS1

I had an absolute blast with this game. I didn't feel bored or tired of the game at all from start to finish. In fact, I completed the game with a 100% save file that's how much I enjoyed it.

The game definitely gets really cheap towards the end and you basically have to race exceptionally well while also holding onto a useful item so that you can ensure your victory. The boss races can be quite annoying too but once you spam them with missiles and drive well you can finish them off quite easily. I beat Nitrous Oxide's true final challenge on my first shot which was mostly just based on luck.

Graphically, the game holds up really well and I was particularly impressed by the draw distance. I've seen some games on PS1/N64 that literally were being drawn in as I was moving. Of course, being Naughty Dog's last PS1 game, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

I'm also feeling a little bit of Crash spree coming on thanks to this game so I will be going back to the original Crash and taking the series from there. Overall, I really enjoyed the game and it's a nice change of pace from other kart racers such as Mario Kart.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:35 pm

FerretGamer wrote:
I completed the game with a 100% save file that's how much I enjoyed it.

That's the only way to beat CTR. I also beat it/revisited it this year and it is amazing how much fun it still is. Collecting the tiny jewels is a pain in the rear, and finding "CTR" on Paupua's Pyramid makes you take leaps of faith, but it is still one of my favorites racers.

I even love the beginning credits, and the way the same music changes when visiting different levels. Lots of thought went into CTR.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

by FerretGamer Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 pm

The game does end at about 80% IIRC. You can choose to get the true ending by going back to get the gems (gem cups) etc.

Speaking of which, the gem cups... wow. Some of those were quite difficult for me. I think I won one of the cups by 1 or 2 points.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:44 pm

CTR is my second favorite kart racer, right behind Sonic All Stars Transformed, which knocked it down from first place. It's been quite a long time since I've played it though. Probably a few years even.

My first 3DS game will be beaten today. :mrgreen:
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:52 pm

FerretGamer wrote:
...the gem cups.

Those are by far my favorite part of the game. The trick to winning them easily is to keep the points close for the first two races. Then when you're really close in points, blast 2nd place at the very end of the race so he drops in points. Usually smooth sailing after that.

"The trophy's mine!!!"
Ack

by Ack Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 pm

1. Sniper Elite V2 (PS3)(TPS)
2. Teen Agent (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
3. Alpha Protocol (PS3)(RPG)

I picked this up for three reasons: It was cheap, it said Sega on the cover, and I could find no mention of the name SONIC anywhere in the title, so I figured I had a good chance of skipping past some of Sega's recent crap. And while I got a game that was certainly buggy at times, it made for a fun RPG similar in progression with games like Mass Effect or KOTOR, but with a dialogue system I prefer infinitely more because your reactions must occur in real time. You have to have an idea of what direction you want to go in before the other person is done speaking, and over time as you pick more options, the various characters in the game begin expecting you to stick to certain conversational trees...which can make for some hilarity when you throw someone off in a way that was not expected.

As for the gameplay, your character taps out at level 20, but you can pick up various perks along the way which will add further bonuses to things like damage, ability cooldown rates, health, shop prices, etc. For instance, during the intro level of the game, you may take a mission to shoot a particularly egotistical douchebag in the testicles with a tranquilizer dart while he runs through the gun range. The perk you earn for doing this nets you 5% off of all vendors in the first major region you travel to. Good times.

Of course, if you prefer to go in guns blazing, you can also do that, and certain characters prefer the action hero route to the stealth one. Some value professionalism over aggressiveness, while others like straightforwardness to attempts at being flirtatious or suave. And seeing reactions and reacting accordingly makes for a lot of fun. I played through the game with a professional recruit straight out of Langley who mostly clung to the shadows yet managed to seduce all four of the possible romances in the game. Next time I might play a shotgun-wielding soldier who is to busy wading knee deep in the dead to even bother with women.

And these gameplay choices, when combined with the decisions I make, can lead to very different endings. In fact, I replayed the ending twice and made a different choice at one point in the final moments which lead to two somewhat different resolutions, one of which felt more satisfying overall while the other revealed more about one of the game's pivotal characters. Things ended up leading to the same point, but I learned a lot more about the game's characters based on one decision.

So yeah, I like it. I think SEGA did a good job, even if the tech issues are sometimes problematic and odd. Also, no multiplayer, which means no multiplayer trophies! So I might actually go for all of them, since you get some of them you have to play in radically different ways.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Ack wrote:3. Alpha Protocol (PS3)(RPG)

So yeah, I like it. I think SEGA did a good job, even if the tech issues are sometimes problematic and odd. Also, no multiplayer, which means no multiplayer trophies! So I might actually go for all of them, since you get some of them you have to play in radically different ways.

Sounds like fun! I have the PC version I wonder if it is worse/better on the buggy side.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Company of Heroes
Super Mario 3D Land

I wish I had a lot to say about this one but I really don't. The 3D eyetrick stuff in some levels is neat, and the 3D helps with the platforming in some sections a bit. However, the game was much too easy, and even with the S levels after completion, I'm not convinced the game will be long enough or have enough replay value. It doesn't help that the star coins are usually very easy to get. That said, what is there is terrific regardless of it's lack of difficulty. Some of the best 3D platforming level design I've seen, especially towards the end of the game. The final level goes down as probably my favorite final Mario level if that says anything.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Return to General Gaming