Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by Jmustang1968 »

You arent comparing the same thing. You totally left out the quick game or play now function. Not every game has season or franchise mode. Madden 13 didnt have a single player franchise mode.
Last edited by Jmustang1968 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Jmustang1968 wrote:You arent comparing the same thing.

But like levels in SMB a season is a defined progression with variations (diff teams and circumstances) along the way. I could just play a level and say "I get it, I'm done" or I could try to improve times on level to level, play through multiple times, etc. There's still a "terminal" mode in the game.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

dsheinem wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:You arent comparing the same thing.

But like levels in SMB a season is a defined progression with variations (diff teams and circumstances) along the way. I could just play a level and say "I get it, I'm done" or I could try to improve times on level to level, play through multiple times, etc. There's still a "terminal" mode in the game.

We can discuss this for 20 pages and you wont convince me you can beat a sports game. However, I dont have a problem with Noise saying he beat them. I was honestly just asking how he defined beating them.

There are so many different modes of play. Many people dont even play the season or franchise modes. They play the single player road to glory and the create a player type modes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

John, that's fine. Can you just answer me one thing? If you were the coach of an actual football team, what would your goal be for that year?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

If someone really wants to pad out their "games beaten" list because they're just that obsessed with having a really high number total or whatever, that's their own deal.

Anyway, yeah:

The Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker HD (Wii U) - You know, this is actually my first time finishing this one. I first played it not long after it came out via borrowing it from a friend. I got to the triforce quest and had to give it back. Several years later, I picked up my own copy, got a bit further into the triforce quest bit, and then had my Gamecube die on me. I eventually got that Gamecube working again, and had Wind Waker sitting on my shelf calling out to me for a while, but lo and behold, when I was ready to finally give it another shot, Nintendo annoounces the HD version, so I figured I'd just wait for that.

So yeah, I'm here now, I've picked up a Wii U, and finally I've managed to finish this one up. The HD-ification is really nicely done, everything's very clean and the new lighting system really compliments the art direction in ways you wouldn't expect (The second boss in particular is incredible looking on the Wii U.) The gameplay tweaks and small additions are appreciated, but none of it really changes the game in a drastic way. The triforce quest for example is a bit less tedious and a bit less of a pain in the ass now, but it still grinds the pacing to a screenching halt. Basically, if you weren't a fan of the game before, this version won't change your mind.

So yeah, with that said, I don't really feel any differently about the game now compared to how I felt about it when I first played it. All the things I really liked about the game (the art direction, the smoother combat compared to OOT, the storytelling and overall pacing with the exception of the triforce quest, the vast ocean world and yes, even the sailing) I still love, and the things I didn't like back then (the somewhat easy difficulty, the small number of dungeons, and the aformentioned triforce quest) I still don't like much.

At the very least, I've finally been able to see for myself that the game definitely picks back up after the triforce hunt, and manages to deliver one of the most memorable final stretches in the series.

It's not my favorite Zelda or anything, but it's certainly a good one, and I'm glad to finally have this one behind me.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Jmustang1968 wrote: Surely discussing such things isnt beyond you of all people right?

Jmustang1968 wrote:We can discuss this for 20 pages and you wont convince me you can beat a sports game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

AppleQueso wrote:If someone really wants to pad out their "games beaten" list because they're just that obsessed with having a really high number total or whatever, that's their own deal.

:lol:

you're on to me Apple.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

noiseredux wrote:John, that's fine. Can you just answer me one thing? If you were the coach of an actual football team, what would your goal be for that year?

Depends on the team. But you are asking a loaded question that is already trying to pre-determine the answer.

How about, you are a coach of a football team, what is your goal for the next game?

Or you just were hired as a head coach, what are your goals for your career?

Or you are playing NBA 2k My Career mode. What are the goals for your career? The goal would be to make it to the hall of fame.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

happy holidays, you guys.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Jmustang, do you consider fighting games beatable?