Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
graffix_13
64-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by graffix_13 »

I'll have to go back and double check some dates at the start of the year, but I think so far my games beaten/platted are:

1. Borderlands 2- PS3 (Platinum Trophy)
2. God of War: Ascension- PS3 (Platinum Trophy)
3. Actraiser- SNES
4. Borderlands- PS3 (Platinum Trophy)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Luke wrote:57. Ironsword NES *new*

Ironsword is nothing like I remembered it being when I was a kid. I could have sworn I could beat the game in a half hour. Not these days.

The controls are exactly like I remembered them, but I forgot that the game is a bit complex for a NES game. Also forgot how huge the bosses are, and that it was made by Rare.

Not in my top 50 NES games, but would probably make it in my top 100.

I'll admit it - I bought the game solely because of the hilarious cover art.

I've only played it a few times - the controls feel floaty and awkward to me. Reminds me of playing an action-platformer on a Commodore 64.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'll admit it - I bought the game solely because of the hilarious cover art.

Fabio, isn't it?

I don't think I've played the game in 15+ years, but I do remember enjoying it. I first learned about gambling from the mini-game "Roll The Bones" or whatever it was called.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

^Fabio it is.

The controls are very, very floaty. Luigi in SMB.2 floaty. You get used to it, but it is awkward.

Roll the Bones is like the PLINKO of NES games. I'm sure there is a pattern, but hell if I'm going to take the time to figure it out.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Games Beaten in 2012 = 32
1/21 To the Moon (PC)
2/28 Kentucky Route Zero: Act I (PC)
3/12 The King of the Wood (PC)
3/14 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (PC)
3/17 The Darkness 2 (PC)
3/20 Persona 4: The Golden (Vita)
3/27 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (3DS)
4/2 Gravity Bone (PC)
4/6 Thirty Flights of Loving (PC)
4/14 Good Morning, Commander (PC)
4/12 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: Episode 1 - The Hangman (PC)
4/17 Don't Sh*t Your Pants (PC)
4/19 Guacamelee (Vita)
4/19 Perspective (PC)
4/25 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: Episode 2 - The Wise Monkey (PC)

Games Beaten = 15

4/29 Tomb Raider (360)
So Tomb Raider is the reason I've taken a while in posting to the games beaten thread. As you can see, I beat this game in late April, but I am just now posting. That's because when I finished this game my opinion was it was the best game I'd played this generation and I thought maybe I should give myself some space with the beating of it to verify that I still felt that way.

Well I still do. Granted this type of game, 3rd-person action/adventure, is my favorite genre of game, bar none, so it may not come as too much of a surprise that my generational favorite is in this genre. Heck, my favorite console game of all time is Soul Reaver 2, which is of this genre.

There is nothing to complain about with this title, the character progression of Lara is really well done, with subtle touches to her animation, like shivering and being winded and holding on to walls as she traverses, like she can't quite believe what's happening to her.

I love the way the weapon upgrade system works with collecting salvage, seems far more elegant than the game I'm currently playing, Bioshock Inifnite, which has you "barrel hunting" for money and the like. I like how Tomb Raider has a fun way of upgrading your weapons without taking you out of the action. All of the collecting in this game is optional though. You could play start to finish without getting a thing.

The combat system is excellent and whomever makes Uncharted 4 should really take note. Close combat and gunplay in this really feels well executed and I never felt like the controls or system was a barrier like it often is in Uncharted.

I wish the characters outside of a few key ones were better animated and some of the voice acting was a tick stronger, but these are minor complaints, which I only voice, because it is an area to improve upon.

Crystal Dynamics has invigorated this series in a way that I'm sure every publisher hopes a reboot would do and I can tell you already that nearly any game in the hands of this developer will be a day 1 purchase from me.

5/6 Thomas Was Alone (Vita)
Quadrilaterals representing AIs try to do stuff while a British dude narrates it. Overall I was a little disappointed in this game. I had read several articles and heard podcasts really talking up the story in this game, but it all lands a little flat. The platforming is fun and tight, but is never challenging. The narration is expertly done, but in the end not as interesting as I'd hoped. I'd definitely recommend the playthrough provided the cost is right. $5? Maybe $7? No more.

6/1 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: Episode 3 - The Oracle (PC)
This series has settled nicely into a typical adventure game groove. Acting and writing has improved over the 3 episodes I've played so far, as well as the puzzles. Erica's powers increase with each game as well and the progression is compelling. I feel like the story is still a little muddy at this point, but I'm not sure that's not intentional. Hopefully all will be made clear in the series finale.

5/6 Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
I spent quite a bit of time with this over the last month and a half and enjoyed it thoroughly. Fairly simple tactics that lead to some complex maneuvering to survive. I really enjoyed all of the advance and re-classing of characters and can see re-visiting this title in a year or two with the harder difficulty.
Last edited by Stark on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Stark wrote:Games Beaten in 2012 = 32
1/21 To the Moon (PC)
2/28 Kentucky Route Zero: Act I (PC)
3/12 The King of the Wood (PC)
3/14 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (PC)
3/17 The Darkness 2 (PC)
3/20 Persona 4: The Golden (Vita)
3/27 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (3DS)
4/2 Gravity Bone (PC)
4/6 Thirty Flights of Loving (PC)
4/14 Good Morning, Commander (PC)
4/12 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: Episode 1 - The Hangman (PC)
4/17 Don't Sh*t Your Pants (PC)
4/19 Guacamelee (Vita)
4/19 Perspective (PC)
4/25 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: Episode 2 - The Wise Monkey (PC)

Games Beaten = 15

4/29 Tomb Raider (360)
So Tomb Raider is the reason I've taken a while in posting to the games beaten thread. As you can see, I beat this game in late April, but I am just now posting. That's because when I finished this game my opinion was it was the best game I'd played this generation and I thought maybe I should give myself some space with the beating of it to verify that I still felt that way.

Well I still do. Granted this type of game, 3rd-person action/adventure, is my favorite genre of game, bar none, so it may not come as too much of a surprise that my generational favorite is in this genre. Heck, my favorite console game of all time is Soul Reaver 2, which is of this genre.

There is nothing to complain about with this title, the character progression of Lara is really well done, with subtle touches to her animation, like shivering and being winded and holding on to walls as she traverses, like she can't quite believe what's happening to her.

I love the way the weapon upgrade system works with collecting salvage, seems far more elegant than the game I'm currently playing, Bioshock Inifnite, which has you "barrel hunting" for money and the like. I like how Tomb Raider has a fun way of upgrading your weapons without taking you out of the action. All of the collecting in this game is optional though. You could play start to finish without getting a thing.

The combat system is excellent and whomever makes Uncharted 4 should really take note. Close combat and gunplay in this really feels well executed and I never felt like the controls or system was a barrier like it often is in Uncharted.

I wish the characters outside of a few key ones were better animated and some of the voice acting was a tick stronger, but these are minor complaints, which I only voice, because it is an area to improve upon.

Crystal Dynamics has invigorated this series in a way that I'm sure every publisher hopes a reboot would do and I can tell you already that nearly any game in the hands of this developer will be a day 1 purchase from me.

5/6 Thomas Was Alone (Vita)
Quadirlaterals representing AIs try to do stuff while a British dude narrates it. Overall I was a little disappointed in this game. I had read several articles and heard podcasts really talking up the story in this game, but it all lands a little flat. The platforming is fun and tight, but is never challenging. The narration is expertly done, but in the end not as interesting as I'd hoped. I'd definitely recommend the playthrough provided the cost is right. $5? Maybe $7? No more.

I felt the same way about Thomas Was Alone. I would have enjoyed it a lot more perhaps if people didn't talk it up so much. By contrast, To the Moon was a hyped up game that I thought delivered. My high expectations didn't hurt the experience at all

Thomas Was Alone has a certain novelty to it that I initially found charming, but halfway through the game the whole geometric shape, British narrator thing stopped being interesting and the game kind of wore out its welcome. A great ending could have saved it, but like you said it falls flat. Reviews talked up this really emotional story and it didn't hit me that way at all. I played it after To the Moon though, and that's a tough act to follow when it comes to emotional story telling in my opinion
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Stark have you played the Uncharted games? Specifically 2?
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

dsheinem wrote:Stark have you played the Uncharted games? Specifically 2?

Yes I've played and beaten every Uncharted game and every Tomb Raider game. The characters and story in Uncharted 2 are better than Tomb Raider, but not by a large enough amount in my mind that Tomb Raider doesn't win out by how much better the gameplay and exploration bits are.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Stark wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Stark have you played the Uncharted games? Specifically 2?

Yes I've played and beaten every Uncharted game and every Tomb Raider game. The characters and story in Uncharted 2 are better than Tomb Raider, but not by a large enough amount in my mind that Tomb Raider doesn't win out by how much better the gameplay and exploration bits are.

How much of a role does stealth and strategy play in the new Tomb Raider? I hear people talk about how you can be stealthy which I find interesting. It's the one thing about the Last of Us that has my interest as well, the so called stealth element. I'm just not all that interested in games that put the emphasis on running around blasting people, but I can appreciate something that allows for some stealth and strategy. I like modern, third person games that reward a more cerebral approach, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of that out there.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

damn Stark, the new Tomb Raider was already on my "to play this year" list, but I guess I should get to it sooner than intended?