Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Wispmage
32-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by Wispmage »

Gamerforlife wrote:Running shoulder ram, makes tossing them into Shredder a breeze, and with you constantly on the move he'll never hit you

Ahhh okay. Thanks for the tip. Makes total sense, I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me while playing.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Sload Soap wrote:
Batman Returns (Snes)
The only thing more frustrating are the battles with Catwoman. :x

Keep her off screen, top right corner if possible. Batarang, punch, repeat, and hope for the best. Yeah, it's the old cheap stutter punch, but that bitch deserves it.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Luke wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:
Batman Returns (Snes)
The only thing more frustrating are the battles with Catwoman. :x

Keep her off screen, top right corner if possible. Batarang, punch, repeat, and hope for the best. Yeah, it's the old cheap stutter punch, but that bitch deserves it.

She's probably the worst part of the game.

No, I take it back, she IS the worst part of the game.
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 20k13

Post by Luke »

Ack wrote:No, I take it back, she IS the worst part of the game.

For certain.

My favorite part of the game is probably the *thunk* sound from throwing a clown into a pole.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Turtles In Time is totally beatable on hard mode on the SNES. To stop the shield soldiers, as previously mentioned, a dash into each one and then a toss or attack.

Batman Returns is great. The CW fight is so bad it not only happens once, but TWICE. How cool is it to throw enemies on the back wall or put 2 of them together?
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

ExedExes wrote: How cool is it to throw enemies on the back wall or put 2 of them together?

Very cool.

It's an odd game because it gives you a decent amount of tools to use and you can pretty much breeze through the normal enemies but god damn is Catwoman too fast and too strong.

A lot of the 8-bit and 16-bit Batman games didn't really focus on the character at all...

I agree with this. It's just that what with it being a Konami licensed beat 'em up from the era of Turtles, X-men and the Simpsons it falls a bit short.
Although, in retrospect this may have more to do with the fact Batman Returns doesn't have an arcade version so there is less of an onus on multi-player. And in further retrospect, only the Toitles made it to home consoles so at the time Bats would have stood out more I guess.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

First 99:

1. Batman Genesis
2. Golden Axe Sega CD
3. Streets if Rage Sega CD (I'm keeping the typo)
4. Streets of Rage 2 Genesis
5. Super Mario Bros. 2 NES
6. TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan Gameboy
7. TMNT 2 The Arcade Game NES
8. TMNT Hyperstone Heist Genesis
9. Call of Duty Black Ops 360
10. Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis
11. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Genesis
12. Sonic CD Sega CD
13. Kung-Fu NES
14. Mega Man 2 NES
15. Out of This World SNES
16. Flashback SNES
17. Altered Beast Genesis
18. Pit-Fighter Genesis
19. Aladdin Genesis
20. Aladdin SNES
21. Ghosts n' Goblins NES, twice
22. Contra NES
23. Bionic Commando NES
24. Strider NES
25. Batman NES
26. Duck Tales NES
27. Ninja Gaiden NES x 2
28. Super Mario Bros. 3 NES
29. Lakers Vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs Genesis
30. Jackal NES
31. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! NES
32. Bayou Billy NES
33. Skate or Die NES
34. Captain Skyhawk NES
35. Super Mario Bros. NES
36. Friday The 13th NES
37. Totally Rad NES
38. Shatterhand NES
39. Twisted Metal Black PS2
40. Tekken 3 Bleamcast
41. Tekken Tag Tournament PS2
42. Tekken 4 PS2
43. Tekken 5 PS2
44. Tekken 6 360
45. Pro Wrestling NES
46. Tecmo Wrestling NES
47. Tag Team Wrestling NES
48. Marvel's Ultimate Alliance 2 360
49. Jurassic Park Genesis
50. Excitebike NES
51. Willy Beamish Sega CD
52. Sewer Shark Sega CD
53. Jurassic Park Sega CD
54. Star Wars Rebel Assault Sega CD
55. NHL '94 Sega CD
56. Spider-Man vs. Kingpin Sega CD
57. Ironsword NES
58. TMNT Return from the Sewers Gameboy
59. Duck Tales Gameboy
60. Duck Tales 2 Gameboy
61. Super Mario Land Gameboy
62. Super Marion Land 2 Gameboy
63. Strider GBA
64. Bionic Commando GBA
65. Golden Axe GBA
66. Mini Final Fight GBA
67. Tetris Gameboy
68. F-1 Race Gameboy
69. Home Alone Gameboy
70. Road Rash Genesis
71. Rambo III Genesis
72. Shinobi III Genesis
73. LHX Attack Chopper Genesis
74. StarFox SNES
75. Final Fight SNES
76. Madden '94 SNES
77. Donkey Kong Country SNES
78. NCAA Basketball 2008 360
79. Vectorman Genesis
80. Vectorman 2 Genesis
81. Actraiser VC
82. Child Of Eden 360
83. The Duel Test Drive II Genesis
84. Hard Drivin' Genesis
85. Dr. Mario NES
86. Super Mario Kart SNES
87. Super Mario World SNES
88. Metal Gear NES
89. E.T 2600
90. Mario Superstar Baseball Gamecube
91. Starfox 64 VC
92. Blazing Angels Wii
93. LOTR Two Towers GC
92. Rogue Leader GC
93. Rebel Strike GC
94. Soul Calibur II GC
95. F-1 Race
96. F-Zero GP Legend GBA
97. THPS 2 GBA
98. Madden 07 GBA
99. Metroid Zero Mission GBA

100. Top Gun NES
101. Altered Beast SMS
102. Galaxy Force SMS
103. Reggie Jackson Baseball SMS
104. After Burner SMS
105. Space Harrier SMS
106. Rolling Thunder NES
107. Code Name Viper NES
108. Godzilla NES
109. Earthworm Jim Genesis
110. Zillion II SMS
111. Blades of Steel NES
112. Double Dribble NES
113. Splatterhouse Arcade via 360
114. Splatterhouse 2 Genesis via 360 *new*
115. Mutant League Football Genesis *new*
116. Mutant League Hockey Genesis *new*

Splatterhouse 2: More of the same great gore. Provides a challenge, provides more fun. Love this series.

Won the blood bowl and cup. Football plays better than hockey, but both are a scream.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey Luke, did the recent Kickstarter campaign get you interested in going back to the Mutant Leagues?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

1. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions PSP
2. Pokémon: Dream Radar 3DS eShop
3. New Super Mario Bros. U Wii U
4. Paper Mario: Sticker Star 3DS
5. New Super Mario Bros. 2 3DS
6. Mario Tennis Open 3DS
7. Wario Land 3 GBC
8. Hana Samurai: Art of the Sword 3DS eShop
9. The "Denpa" Men: They Came By Wave 3DS eShop
10. Pokémon White Version 2 DS
11. Kirby Mass Attack DS
12. F-Zero Wii U VC
13. Jeanne d'Arc PSP
14. DoDonPachi Resurrection 360
15. Patapon PSP
16. F-Zero X N64
17. Cave Story WiiWare
18. Parodius GBC
19. Shock Troopers Wii VC
20. 1080: TenEighty Snowboarding N64
21. Donkey Kong Land III Game Boy
22. Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble GBC
23. Little Inferno Wii U eShop
24. HarmoKnight 3DS eShop
25. Liberation Maiden 3DS eShop
26. Fire Emblem: Awakening 3DS
27. Patchwork Heroes PSN
28. Crimson Shroud 3DS eShop
29. To The Moon PC
30. Wild Arms PS1 Classics
31. Fantastic Dizzy Mega Drive
32. Diddy Kong Racing N64
33. Pulseman Wii VC
34. Bubble Bobble Master System
35. Loco Roco PSP
36. StreetPass Squad 3DS eShop
37. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption Wii
38. StreetPass Battle 3DS eShop
39. Attack of the Friday Monsters: A Tokyo Tale 3DS eShop
40. Earthbound Wii U VC
41. Tomb Raider PS1
42. Streetpass Garden 3DS eShop
43. Super Princess Peach DS *NEW*
44. Metal Gear Solid PS1 *NEW*

2 more games beaten, and unlike the previous two games which I found to be hit and miss, these new entries were pretty great.

Super Princess Peach is a game that you never seem to hear much about, other than people laughing at how a Nintendo game with a female protagonist uses the power of emotions as a gameplay mechanic (hurr, hurr, PMS :roll: ) and that it's so easy and cutesy it's obviously designed for little girls. I actually disagree with that myself - yes, it's very easy and cute, but I certainly wouldn't call it 'girly' - it reminds me of Kirby or The Legendary Starfy - and it is in fact made by the Starfy developers, so I guess I was right on that call. The game is pretty simple - run around, bop enemies with an umbrella or jump on them and throw them at each other Wario Land style, whilst rescuing kidnapped toads be solving very simple puzzles with your magical emotion powers. What I feel is never really mentioned is just how smooth everything feels. Peach controls wonderfully, acts exactly how you'd expect and can do so at a pace which feels pretty exhilerating. It kinda reminds me of Henry Hatsworths action gameplay, although a lot easier. A lot of enemies make use of the 'vibe' emotion powers too, and it adds a fun twist on some classics - crying spinies that dash back and forth at high speed with tears streaming from their eyes, joyous paratroopas that fly in irregular patterns, angry boos that only move when you look at them instead of vice versa - it adds some nice variety and a little bit of unique character. I actually enjoyed every minute of this game, and whilst it is very easy, it has all of the charm and fun that a good kirby platformer has, and is definitely worth a play. Much better than people make out.

Metal Gear Solid is a pretty popular series I've never gotten around to playing until now, and after playing through the first, I have to say I'm quite keen to pick up the rest of the series too. Although I had a few frustrating moments during the game where I got pretty irritated (mainly on boss fights) the game was overall a blast to play from start to finish. Even though I'd had a few major plot points spoiled to me before now, the story was still intriguing (and occasionally incredibly amusing in how silly it all got) and the action was fun and addictive. One thing I found odd about the game though is how little 'stealth' seems to fit it as a genre title. The sneaking sections aren't especially regular, and are mainly in the early sections - there are far more environmental hazards and boss encounters than enemy guards to avoid, and where stealth was required it was normally incredibly easy to just run past for the most part. I imagine this is improved upon in the sequels. Despite this though, it still makes for a really fun action game that I feel is better than the sum of its parts. No area, encounter or story segment stood out as particularly amazing to me, but as an overall experience I have pretty fond feelings of my time playing it. Definitely glad I got round to playing through this one at last.

Next up: Not totally sure. Starting a full time internship role, so I'll have a good bit less time to play games. Despite that though, I still really need to get around to my other two summer games - Shantae and Cybernator - when I can. I'm also probably going to start up some Final Fantasy VII, so who knows what'll be next.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Ack wrote:Hey Luke, did the recent Kickstarter campaign get you interested in going back to the Mutant Leagues?

It's one of my favorite Genesis games actually, but seeing the kickstarter article/video/advert did make me turn from the Super Star Wars series to Mutant League. They're nothing but fun.

They do lack a challenge, but again...so fun. I think a harder feat than winning the Blood Bowl would to max out the time, have no reserves, and set the violence to Annihilation. It makes the game a bit of "whoever hits first wins" game as you just about destroy every player.

But like most of my older games, I've had it and played it since I picked it up. But man, MLF never gets old.