Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by dsheinem »

Stark wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Stark have you played the Uncharted games? Specifically 2?

Yes I've played and beaten every Uncharted game and every Tomb Raider game. The characters and story in Uncharted 2 are better than Tomb Raider, but not by a large enough amount in my mind that Tomb Raider doesn't win out by how much better the gameplay and exploration bits are.

Hmm, see I think I prefer a ratio of more shooty-shooty to less sneaky-sneaky and more punches to fewer puzzles. "Uncharted but with more sneaking and puzzles" sounds like a lesser game to me.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

dsheinem wrote:
Stark wrote:

Yes I've played and beaten every Uncharted game and every Tomb Raider game. The characters and story in Uncharted 2 are better than Tomb Raider, but not by a large enough amount in my mind that Tomb Raider doesn't win out by how much better the gameplay and exploration bits are.

Hmm, see I think I prefer a ratio of more shooty-shooty to less sneaky-sneaky and more punches to fewer puzzles. "Uncharted but with more sneaking and puzzles" sounds like a lesser game to me.

Just play it through already haha.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

dsheinem wrote:
Stark wrote:

Yeah that's not what I said (or meant to imply.) What I am saying is that the "shooty-shooty" gameplay is far superior in Tomb Raider and the navigation and exploring bits are far superior in Tomb Raider. The puzzle sections are called "Tombs" and are completely option and skippable. The sneaky parts are a matter of how you play, if you don't like that then kill them with a shotgun to the face, in the most brutal way possible. Based on your description above, you should play this game immediately, and I'd be darn surprised if you don't love it.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Stark wrote: Based on your description above, you should play this game immediately, and I'd be darn surprised if you don't love it.

Guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for another sale soon.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

I, too, have been wanting to play the new Tomb Raider. I think the only thing holding me back has been the multiplayer. I hear no one is online, and I am a trophy hunter so that would be an issue for me since there are MP trophies.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Gamerforlife wrote:How much of a role does stealth and strategy play in the new Tomb Raider? I hear people talk about how you can be stealthy which I find interesting. It's the one thing about the Last of Us that has my interest as well, the so called stealth element. I'm just not all that interested in games that put the emphasis on running around blasting people, but I can appreciate something that allows for some stealth and strategy. I like modern, third person games that reward a more cerebral approach, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of that out there.

It supports both play styles, although there will be sections where you have no choice but to blast the oncoming hordes. One of the weapons is a bow and it works really well for the stealth kill.

noiseredux wrote:damn Stark, the new Tomb Raider was already on my "to play this year" list, but I guess I should get to it sooner than intended?

Yeah, maybe something to pick up after you play Tomb Raider 1 for the Summer Challenge?

graffix_13 wrote:I, too, have been wanting to play the new Tomb Raider. I think the only thing holding me back has been the multiplayer. I hear no one is online, and I am a trophy hunter so that would be an issue for me since there are MP trophies.

Playing Tomb Raider multiplayer? That's one way to do it. :lol:

Teasing aside, I've not played it as I get these games for the single player experience and to me was about as necessary as the multi in Mass Effect 3.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

Stark wrote:Teasing aside, I've not played it as I get these games for the single player experience and to me was about as necessary as the multi in Mass Effect 3.

Oh, I know. I really don't care for multi-player on a lot of these games....but unfortunetly for some of them you have to play it for the MP trophies to obtain the platinum trophy.

Stupid reason to avoid a game, I know. But those platinum trophies are SO shiny! (I feel like Gollum and that damn ring...)
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

I'm playing through the new Tomb Raider currently and it is an unbelievable game. I am so glad I snagged this from Amazon Warehouse for a measly $24 (like new). I'm almost finished but I definitely have some very strong feelings like Stark in believing it might be one of the best games I've played this generation. The attention to detail in particular is just amazing and Crystal Dynamics really has injected new life into not only the genre but gaming as whole.

Yea, it's that fucking good. Everyone should play this game. Tomb Raider belongs to a special category of games that demonstrates there is still some hope left for the gaming industry.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Too many new awesome games. Too little moneys. I think the only person here that loves Uncharted more than me is Dave. I guess I need to play Tomb Raider as well. My backlog is already giant this summer. I have Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, Mark of the Ninja, Gravity Rush... the list goes on and on. This year is gonna be a good year completion wise. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with all the new releases I want either.

When's that Steam summer sale coming along?
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
scarper
128-bit

Post by scarper »

- G-Darius (PS2 version)
- Half-Life
- Half-Life Opposing Force
- Half-Life 2
- Half-Life 2 Episode 1
- Half-Life 2 Episode 2
- Mass Effect 3
- Mass Effect
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- PokeMMO (fanmade PC game)
- Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
- Virtual On: Cyber Troopers (PS2)
- Pepsiman: The Running Hero
- Mini-Skirt Police (mediocre saturn game. Do not recommend.)

Right now, I'm really close to beating NiGHTS into Dreams, started Ape Escape 2, and Tomb Raider Anniversary.