Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by alienjesus »

Gamerforlife wrote:Sam and Max

I agree with a lot of your comments about that season tbh, which is why I enjoyed Devil's Playhouse. There are new characters, but not to a ridiculous degree, and most of the overused old characters barely appear - although both of the stinkys do, you'll be glad to hear. The controls are changed for the worst, but the tone of the game, the puzzles and the humour all take a turn for the better imo.

I guess I didnt really check all the items in my inventory enough, because that last puzzle with the cake in 205 caused me lots of trouble.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Season 3. Even if it each episode wasn't perhaps as good as Abe Lincoln Must Die! or Reality 2.0, the consistency of the season was much higher for me, and if you were to rate every episode in order, I'd probably have most of season 3 right near the top.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

alienjesus wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Sam and Max

I agree with a lot of your comments about that season tbh, which is why I enjoyed Devil's Playhouse. There are new characters, but not to a ridiculous degree, and most of the overused old characters barely appear - although both of the stinkys do, you'll be glad to hear. The controls are changed for the worst, but the tone of the game, the puzzles and the humour all take a turn for the better imo.

I guess I didnt really check all the items in my inventory enough, because that last puzzle with the cake in 205 caused me lots of trouble.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Season 3. Even if it each episode wasn't perhaps as good as Abe Lincoln Must Die! or Reality 2.0, the consistency of the season was much higher for me, and if you were to rate every episode in order, I'd probably have most of season 3 right near the top.

I played a little bit of Devil's Playhouse episode 1 and I was really floored. It feels like they totally overhauled the series! For one thing, they've upped the visuals quite a bit it seems. In fact, I even turned down the graphics quality very slightly as I noticed a little bit of stuttering or choppines in the cut scenes.

I don't know how I feel about the controls. It seems like they really, really want players to use a controller as moving Sam around feels much more comfortable that way. It's weird, because I have gotten used to playing these games with a mouse and keyboard, and the new control scheme doesn't seem to favor that. I didn't really like moving Guybrush around Tales of Monkey Island Episode 1 with a keyboard either. It just felt weird because it feels like you're focusing more on moving your character around than you are on just looking at your environment for things to interact with.

One thing I noticed is that when switching to my controller I could cycle through every thing in the environment that can be interacted with. I have mixed feelings about that. Some might say it's an improvement as it takes away from the frustration of being stuck at some part of the game because there was some item in the environment that you missed and were supposed to pick up. However, I feel like that is kind of part of the challenge of these games. In addition to solving puzzles, you have to get really good at scanning your environments for items to pick up or interact with. I miss the item box too, which you don't see onscreen when playing with a controller since you can just bring up the inventory instantly with a press of a button. I haven't really made up my mind about whether I want to play through this season with a controller or mouse/keyboard. Controller seems like the better option, but it just seems weird playing one of these games like that after two season of mouse/keyboard use

The writing has been quite solid so far. Most of the jokes have hit the mark for me so far. In fact, I'm surprised by the amount of dialog I've heard so far, as well as the fact that cut scenes really feel like cut scenes now due to the upgraded graphics. It's pretty cool. I couldn't shake the feeling that this season is not just more of the status quo. It feels like they really went all out in making this season stand out. I was very happy to see the Stinkies back. I'm starting to appreciate them the way I used to appreciate Sybil and Bosco back before those characters got kind of played out and annoying. Girl Stinky is cute in her snobbish, bratty way. I'm enjoying the running gag about
her possibly being a murderer.
It's nice to see Superball back too and I never tire of the computers
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

1. Batman Genesis
2. Golden Axe Sega CD
3. Streets if Rage Sega CD (I'm keeping the typo)
4. Streets of Rage 2
5. Super Mario Bros. 2 NES *new*

Level 4-2 is so much harder than it was when I was eleven (some how that's possible). It is almost Ninja Gaiden-esque as you need to know the pattern of EVERY enemy or you'll be toast.

Frustrating as all get out, but I'm a sucker for punishment, so I enjoyed every second of playing SMB.2... again. And usually the intro the,e gets stuck in my head, but after so many darned fights with Birdo's and bosses, the boss theme is almost in a constant loop in my noggin.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Luke wrote:5. Super Mario Bros. 2 NES *new*

Level 4-2 is so much harder than it was when I was eleven (some how that's possible). It is almost Ninja Gaiden-esque as you need to know the pattern of EVERY enemy or you'll be toast.

Frustrating as all get out, but I'm a sucker for punishment, so I enjoyed every second of playing SMB.2... again. And usually the intro the,e gets stuck in my head, but after so many darned fights with Birdo's and bosses, the boss theme is almost in a constant loop in my noggin.

which one is 4-2? I used to be amazing at SMB2. But when I tried to play thru recently I got so frustrated with the flying carpet level that I just felt disgusted with myself.

BTW, you're kicking games' asses this year already Luke. Five games in ten days!
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

noiseredux wrote:
which one is 4-2? I used to be amazing at SMB2. But when I tried to play thru recently I got so frustrated with the flying carpet level that I just felt disgusted with myself.

BTW, you're kicking games' asses this year already Luke. Five games in ten days!

Thanks man. Besides SMB.2, most of the games I've beaten are fairly easy. I also almost beat Ninja Gaiden yesterday. The bet I had was to beat it with no continues, and although I got to level six, flying throwing stars were too much for me to handle.

4-2 is the "ice level" with all the whales and slippery blocks. I've never chosen Toad as my character until 2013. That's something, I guess. But Toad is perfectly suited for the level as he doesn't seem to skid as much as the other characters while on the ice blocks.

The carpet levels don't bother me as much as the albatross levels. I could be wrong, but I think you need to use the superjump with blind faith at least more than twice.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Luke wrote:4-2 is the "ice level" with all the whales and slippery blocks. I've never chosen Toad as my character until 2013. That's something, I guess. But Toad is perfectly suited for the level as he doesn't seem to skid as much as the other characters while on the ice blocks.

oh yeah, I guess I have the patterns programmed into my muscle memory, cuz I coast thru that stuff.

The carpet levels don't bother me as much as the albatross levels. I could be wrong, but I think you need to use the superjump with blind faith at least more than twice.

I wrote "carpet" and meant "albatros." The stupid albatros level is where I unplugged my Wii and threw it in my back hall in fury.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

noiseredux wrote:
Luke wrote:5. Super Mario Bros. 2 NES *new*

I wonder sometimes if we were better gamers when we were younger, or if we just knew to suck it up and deal with whatever a game threw at us because we didn't have a lot of options to play back then. I say that because it's surprising how often people will go back and play a game they kicked ass on when they were younger and be surprised by how hard it is.

Now and days if a game pisses me off I'll just drop it and play something else. As a kid in the NES era though. There wasn't a TON of high quality games out at any given time, so I think we just had to just grin and bear it if a game kicked our asses and keep at it until we succeeded

Certainly was better than going outside :lol:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Gamerforlife wrote:
I wonder sometimes if we were better gamers when we were younger, or if we just knew to suck it up and deal with whatever a game threw at us because we didn't have a lot of options to play back then.

For me, sometimes I destroy games I used to think were difficult and sometimes stink whole pooper at games I used to beast with ease.

I'm sure "we already have a thread for that", but I saw a friend experience "Too Many Game Syndrome" during the past two days. It took an entire day for him to finally pick out smb.2 to play (and I admit I egged him on to pick a NES game).
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

1- Gravity Rush - Vita
2- Erst Kerf - PC
3- Resident Evil 6 - PS3
4- PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - Vita

RE 6- I found this game to be challenging and fun. The game is divided into four campaigns that intersect with each other at certain points. You do replay a few parts but as different characters so it doesn't feel too repetitive. The 'survival' aspect of survival horror definitely comes into play. Healing items were really scarce and I was always low on ammo (and I really tried to not go in guns-blazing!).

If you're like me and gave up on RE after 4, give this one a chance. After beating 6, I walk away from it actually looking forward to the next installment.

Oh, and there are a LOT of QTE's in this game. If that isn't your thing... you've been warned.

PSASBR- The only reason I played this is that I got it for free when I bought my Vita. Yes, this is a Smash Bros.-esque game with Sony-related characters. I'm not a huge fan of these type of games so I'll just leave it at that.

If you like Smash Bros. you'll probably like this game. As for myself, I'll stick with Virtua Fighter.
rsn9910

Post by rsn9910 »

Turrican 3 (Amiga 500 [WinUAE]) on normal difficulty is the first game I beat in 2013. It is quite short.

I almost beat Heart of Darkness (PS1 [PSP]) too but I got stuck on the final boss screen.