Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by Gamerforlife »

Xeogred wrote:- Bare Knuckle III (Genesis)
- Megaman 5 (PS2)*
- Final Fight 2 (SNES)

* = replay

Never was the biggest Final Fight fan, but it's about time I hit up some of the sequels. The second game was definitely just... alright, pretty fun to run through in an easy 30-60 minutes if even, but yeah. Not much else to say and one I probably won't go back too. I'll probably hit up Final Fight 3 sometime soon and see how that goes, it definitely looks a lot different than the first two so that could be good, nice to see Guy back too.

To me, Final Fight 2 was just Final Fight 1 recycled. Capcom really got more ambitious with FF 3, but by that point the Streets of Rage series had already surpassed Final Fight by leaps and bounds in gameplay

I still really like Final Fight 3 though. It's got multiple paths, a pretty decent soundtrack and some cool moves. I'm proud to have a complete copy of the game too as it's not a common Super Nintendo game to find.

Incidentally, I think HG 101 recently updated their Final Fight article. I really want to play Might Final Fight some day.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/finalf ... lfight.htm
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

- Bare Knuckle III (Genesis)
- Megaman 5 (PS2)*
- Final Fight 2 (SNES)
- Final Fight 3 (SNES)

* = replay

Alright, yeah Final Fight 3 was definitely a good bit better. All new character models, more attacks and combo's, running, etc, and the music stood out a lot more. Definitely a big improvement, but yeah still doesn't hold a candle to Streets of Rage for me.

Wow had no idea Final Fight was on that many platforms... ZX Spectrum? lmao, wow. The Sega CD version is my favorite I guess, since I love playing as Guy and has all the perks the SNES version lacked.

I guess the original arcade version is on the Capcom Classics Collection though. I don't even think I knew those existed until just now. I'm gonna have to get both sometime soon.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

1. Thomas Was Alone - PC
2. Sam & Max Save the World - The whole season - PC, GOG versions
3. Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space - The whole season - PC, GOG versions

Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 1 - PC, GOG version

This felt "bigger" than previous seasons, like the first chapter of a Sam & Max movie. The graphics were noticeably better, and the whole thing felt slick and polished both in terms of graphics, story, and design. The graphics in particular stood out. No matter what computer in my house I played this on I wasn't able to run the game on maximum settings for the graphics without gameplay chugging or slowing down a little bit, the first Sam & Max game I've played that I can say that about. So there's definitely more going on graphically here than previous seasons. The humor didn't hit the highs of some of my favorite episodes from previous seasons, but it was good enough to keep me smiling through most of the episode and there weren't many instances of jokes falling flat on their faces and making me cringe.

Max's new powers (I don't think that's much of a spoiler)were an interesting addition. The teleport was a fun way to quickly get around and was creatively utilized in the game's puzzles. I'm not sure how I feel about the future vision power though. Sometimes I felt like it was giving away the answers to some of the game's puzzles. I also didn't like how certain puzzles couldn't be solved without you using future vision to see a particular scene. It's like you have a puzzle in front of you. You know how to solve it and you have the tools you need to solve it, but the game won't let you do it because it wants you to see a certain cut scene first in future vision, essentially making puzzles unsolvable until you see a "trigger" event. On the plus side, future vision set up some good jokes

The new controls suck, unless you play with a controller, which the new system clearly favors over mouse and keyboard. A more equal system that doesn't favor any particular control format over the other would have been nicer. I mean it's no big deal if you don't have a problem with using a controller, but playing an adventure game on a PC that has crappy mouse/keyboard controls is just bizarre

Overall, episode 1 feels like an ambitious effort, adding new gameplay tweaks, upping the graphics, changing the controls, and delivering some of the most polished puzzle design I've seen so far in the series(though arguably a bit too easy). It doesn't hit the highs of some previous season episodes, and the episode isn't a self contained experience like the ones in previous seasons (the whole episode feels like set up), but a good deal of effort went into this and it shows. The game hypes up the rest of the season too, so I hope it delivers

Seeing as how I'm blowing through all the Telltale seasons, I might have to go back and play Sam & Max Hit the Road sometime. I never finished that game
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2013
Twisted Metal - PS1
Twisted Metal 2 - PS1
Twisted Metal III - PS1
Twisted Metal 4 - PS1
Screaming Mad George's Paranoiascape - PS1
N.O.V.A. - PSP *new*

Total: 6

2012 Games Beaten
2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

Strange to think: this $0.99 Gameloft-made Halo ripoff might very well be the best FPS on the PSP. The PSPmini title (an iOS port at that!) isn't especially difficult or inspired, but it was satisfying and compelling enough for me to plow through the 3 hour or so campaign in very short order on the Vita. It's one of the best cheap purchases I've made on the PSN store - and an extremely impressive game in the "PSPmini" lineup. If you try to think about it as "The Best PS1 FPS that was never made" - which is sort of how I approached it - you will likely walk away quite impressed.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

dsheinem wrote:Games Beaten 2013
Twisted Metal - PS1
Twisted Metal 2 - PS1
Twisted Metal III - PS1
Twisted Metal 4 - PS1
Screaming Mad George's Paranoiascape - PS1
N.O.V.A. - PSP *new*

Total: 6

2012 Games Beaten
2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

Strange to think: this $0.99 Gameloft-made Halo ripoff might very well be the best FPS on the PSP. The PSPmini title (an iOS port at that!) isn't especially difficult or inspired, but it was satisfying and compelling enough for me to plow through the 3 hour or so campaign in very short order on the Vita. It's one of the best cheap purchases I've made on the PSN store - and an extremely impressive game in the "PSPmini" lineup. If you try to think about it as "The Best PS1 FPS that was never made" - which is sort of how I approached it - you will likely walk away quite impressed.

Gameloft is pretty good at ripoffs. Soul of Darkness was a fun 2D Castlevania ripoff. It's not quite as amazing as an actual Castlevania, but it's good enough for its cheap price

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/soul- ... ic-reviews
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - PC
Hotline Miami - PC
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - PC *NEW

Total for 2013: 3

Assassin's Creed: Revelations - PC
This was so much better than Brotherhood, the characters, story and world were all a return to the quality that was in number 2. It is sad to see Ezio's trilogy come to an end as I found him a very interesting character, I thought linking the first game in with the ezio trilogy was a great idea as I never plan to finish the first game as it is repetitive and dull, it was nice to follow Altair's story as well.

Overall really enjoyable, I own ACIII, but I need to play something else in between, its 14 days into the year and two Assassins Creed games later I am a little burnt out on the formula.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

1. Mega Man (NES)
2. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
3. Toejam & Earl (GEN)
4. Mortal Kombat (SCD)
5. Rockband (Hard) (360)
6. Mega Man 2 (NES)

Rockband: Not much to say here. I love the Guitar Hero games, but had never played through Rock Band. Pretty fun, some neat songs, but nothing outstanding, and a few too many "made popular by" songs.

Mega Man 2: Damn, what an amazing game. Having never played either 1 or 2 until this year, I can finally understand why 2 is as heralded as it is. Literally every aspect of the game was improved. The music, the bosses, the weapons, everything! The end stages are just insane, even more so than the MM I am most familiar with (MMX). I really had fun with this one, and will definitely return to face the "Difficult" difficulty at some point.
flex wood
Next-Gen

Post by flex wood »

dsheinem wrote: nova

Doesn't nova come pre installed on every Android phone?
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

1. Liberation Maiden (3DS) - 1/6
2. Dead Space (360) - 1/11
3. Anarchy Reigns (360) - 1/13

It's hard to really judge the quality of this game, because objectively the game isn't that great. There isn't a lot of technicality to the combat and there isn't much skill involved. The missions are repetitive and the story is goofy.

But I loved it anyway. I admit to being partial to Platinum, as it's team is responsible for a lot of games dear to me. But I also just found the game itself a lot of fun. The campaign is a typical beat 'em up similar to Streets of Rage or Final Fight, but the multiplayer is a lot more comparable to Power Stone. It's violent, foul-mouthed and the cut scenes are completely over the top. It's also only $30.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Xeogred wrote:Wow had no idea Final Fight was on that many platforms... ZX Spectrum? lmao, wow. The Sega CD version is my favorite I guess, since I love playing as Guy and has all the perks the SNES version lacked.

You could get the SFC "Final Fight Guy". It's pretty cheap, actually.